Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 36888 times)

Sssith

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 14
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #255 on: June 11, 2018, 02:10:07 PM »
So I am playing, and mostly enjoying, Witcher 2.

I do have a couple of problems with this game.  The tutorials suck.  Usually a game helps you figure out how the game works.  Not this one.

The quest tracking system sucks.  I am in chapter one where you have to kill this squid thing.  It has a poison that you need to brew a potion to protect yourself.  Supposedly you need to find a moss, gods knows where to brew this potion.  Somehow I found the necessary ingredients and brewed the potion.  The quest to find the ingredient is still active.  There are a bunch of these types of things.

Playing on normal is stupid hard.  I regularly get pwnd by fights.  I am getting better but there are some that I just don't see how I can win.  Switching to Easy mode is just that though; too easy.  Kind of annoying.

That said the story is building nicely which is fun.  Hopefully these other issues won't diminish my enjoyment too much.

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 23, 2018, 10:04:25 AM »
Stunned today to find out I couldn't sell any cards on steam because I haven't bought anything in Steam in over a year!  Was hoping to get rid of some cards and pick up Slay the Spire, which looks like exactly my kind of game and is getting all kinds of awesome ratings.

Godji

• Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 25, 2018, 11:43:19 AM »
Stunned today to find out I couldn't sell any cards on steam because I haven't bought anything in Steam in over a year!  Was hoping to get rid of some cards and pick up Slay the Spire, which looks like exactly my kind of game and is getting all kinds of awesome ratings.

I haven't launched it yet, but that's what a few co-workers spend their lunch break on and the game does look indeed very fun. I just refuse to play games in Early access, I already get more games than I can play (still not winning this battle of will), I may as well wait for them to be mostly finished before I play them.

For a completely different take on card games, very intrigued by Cultist Simulator too.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 25, 2018, 04:36:28 PM »
Cultist Simulator and Slay the Spire have both been getting rave reviews in my rather-large Steam group. They seem to be pretty solid, entertaining games.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 26, 2018, 07:50:05 PM »
Anyone hear about Raft? I saw it pop up in my discovery queue in steam and I actually put it in my wishlist.  I just watched a video for it, seems fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5NjJQ3EKgM

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 26, 2018, 09:53:16 PM »
Yeah, looks fun. I wishlisted it a couple days ago. May pick it up at some point.

sam_manzanza

• Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 04, 2018, 05:00:40 PM »
Titan Quest comes out on Switch at the end of the month and it looks like it might be worth a buy. It's old AF, but that's fine. Has anyone here played it (I assume so) and would you recommend it? Basically - how does it compare to D2/D3 in reagrd to gameplay, replayability, loot hunting, etc etc.

Edit: I see there's a whole sub-forum on the old GO. I'll read that.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 05:02:15 PM by sam_manzanza »

Lego

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 04, 2018, 06:49:56 PM »
Titan Quest comes out on Switch at the end of the month and it looks like it might be worth a buy. It's old AF, but that's fine. Has anyone here played it (I assume so) and would you recommend it? Basically - how does it compare to D2/D3 in reagrd to gameplay, replayability, loot hunting, etc etc.

Does it really? Awesome!!
I'm just starting a Mass Effect Trilogy playthrough. In addition to Skyrim and Mario Oddessy on the switch.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 04, 2018, 06:51:54 PM »

TQ is good. Bonus! They only recently, after like 10 years, added another expansion for it - Ragnarok - with a new class and all. It's even betterer now. Very recommended.

It's better than D3, not as good as D2. YMMV.

sam_manzanza

• Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 04, 2018, 07:56:00 PM »
Excellent. Ragnarok isn't included in the initial Switch release, but no doubt will be released in the future. Seems like an odd decision not to include it, but hey, if they can get people to pay more money for it separately, more power to them. I'm a sucker, so that sort of approach works on me.

Regardless, after your feedback and reading the old GO forum, I'm now all the way in on this. There's nothing like it on Switch currently. Been a quiet few months for decent Switch games, but Paladins, Fortnite and Crash Bandicoot (nostalgia+) all dropped in the past few weeks; Octopath and this are out in July and Monster Hunter: Generations at the end of August. Happy days.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 10, 2018, 12:56:37 AM »
Every now and then I'd get some gaming nostalgia, but this is close to 30 years ago.  A game I played in primary school on Apple II computers I believe.  Initially I remembered the idea of it, and while searching for it, I found MANY other people who had found memories and were also looking at various times.  It was kinda cool to be a part of that.  Then I finally found the name.

Raft Away River

Then recently I thought about how there are websites where you can play old games in your browser.  After a quick search I had it working!

https://archive.org/details/RAFT_AWAY_RIVER#

So much nostalgia!  At first I was a bit disorganised, but had another go and finished it on the basic difficulty.  There was once a time I had memorised all the commands and what they did :)  This might have been one of the first games I really enjoyed.  You have 2-6 players and randomly get 2 out of 4 items.  You need to communicate and plan to not all die :)    It is a basic game as its designed for kids as edutainment, but great trip down memory lane.

Now if only I could find this 2d platformer game we also played around the same time. I have a vague memory what it looked like .. its not much to go on

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 15, 2018, 10:07:42 AM »
I blame Tim.

He goaded me to play Rise of the Tomb Raider in Extreme Survivor Mode.  Just finished it.  Don't do it, not that I am really worried that you would.  The game play was a bit tougher than Survivor Mode.  The annoying thing is that if you die you go back to your last campfire.  For the most part this is not that big of a deal.  There are a couple points though were you have a long quest, followed by a battle, followed by hard jumping or quick time events.  It is the last thing that is miserable.  Screw that up and you have to go back to the beginning are do the whole thing again.  The biggest pain as the final battle which ends with some quick time events against the boss Konstantine.  I did that several times.  I got really good at defeating the helicopter.

Well I am done with Tomb Raider until the next one comes out in September.  Can't wait for that one.

Oh...another annoying side affect is that my Steam Profile was using the rare achievement display.  It would showcase the rarest achievements that you have done.  Because I did this all my achievements that are showing up there are for Rise of the Tomb Raider.  For what it is worth, the only 0.7% of players have the Extreme Survivor Mode achievement.  Gone are the other fun ones I had, like Zombie Chopper from HL2.  Ah well.  I need a new showcase (again, not that anyone ever looks at those things).

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 15, 2018, 08:31:57 PM »
You are welcome that I pushed you.  For only 44 more Steam EXP you can get to level 20 and get a new profile showcase.  The easiest will be to do the last of the 3 community ambassador tasks.

1) Post a status to your friends
2) View a guide in the Steam Overlay

Those 2 are very quick to do, you might get the new badge just on that. Otherwise you need

3) Post a video.  Thats a bit more complex, you need a youtube account, link to steam account.  I think I had short thing of serious sam.

You can get a showcase where you CHOOSE the achievements you want to show off.  The "rare" ones aren't the best depending which games you might play and the overall community.

Anyway, for your next challenge ;)  You have quite a few story based DLC things you could do, eg the Blood Ties bit

I see you playing some Borderlands 2, here are some non grindy things to try for:

Goliath, Meet David
Allowed a Goliath to level up four times before killing him
That one can happen normally and is both fun and very freaky ..  RECOMMENDED!

Then, go visit the places, do the things, hit level 50 at least :P

Godji

• Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 16, 2018, 03:24:18 AM »
Always at the cutting edge of video game releases, I'm spending most of my time on... Binding of Isaac (Rebirth, and extensions), which I had somehow never played, and got during Steam sales. Quite enjoying it, and how different layers of gameplay reveal themselves. It seems purely random at the beginning, but you learn how to actually manipulate and do get thebest out of what you're given.

Along this, after my initial run where I mastered Dark Souls III with caestus (ys, admire the masochism) I'm doing a run with a pyro which seems kind of easy mode compared to the first one, and a coop run with a friend with Paired Ringed Greatswords, which are completely silly, hence extremely fun.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 16, 2018, 10:20:16 AM »
You can get a showcase where you CHOOSE the achievements you want to show off.  The "rare" ones aren't the best depending which games you might play and the overall community.

Good to know.  I had no clue that there was a benefit to leveling up your steam profile and that sounds like a nice showcase to use.

As Tim noted I am playing BL2 again.    Going with Maya because she is hot.  Just kidding, in an FPS it really doesn't matter. :p  I just had the itch to play the game again.  Not sure how far I will get. 

BTW that link you gave me with the ability to look at Steam achievements organized in different ways was pretty interesting.  Not sure how they figure some of those rankings out.