Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 39552 times)

Geep

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #210 on: March 27, 2018, 01:01:08 AM »
Anyone on Overwatch or Fortnite?  Consuming most of my free time nowadays...

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 27, 2018, 08:49:18 PM »
Far Cry 5 is a great deal of fun.

It's also borderline freaking photorealistic, if you ask me.

And it's beautifully optimized. I'm running it at 2560x1440, maxed out, and getting an unwavering 60fps. Reports from across the board are that it runs very well for a range of hardware.

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2018, 10:32:04 AM »
Is it the same game as previous two?  Meaning climb tower...clear fog...get weapon...find enemy bases...take over enemy base...have new safe house...hunt animals...craft larger/better storage equipment.  Rinse...repeat.

Darkness

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 28, 2018, 11:35:38 AM »
Is it the same game as previous two?  Meaning climb tower...clear fog...get weapon...find enemy bases...take over enemy base...have new safe house...hunt animals...craft larger/better storage equipment.  Rinse...repeat.

And more side quests that you can shake a stick at.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2018, 04:28:01 PM »
It's definitely more Far Cry, if that's what you're asking.

But better. Okay, the story is the usual FC drivel. But the gameplay and gunplay are fantastic.

Also, you can have a Grizzly Bear companion. Named Cheeseburger. Who has a skill called "Bear Arms" which he uses to "exercise his right to attack."  There's also the faithful dog, Boomer, who is revived from a downed state by giving him belly rubs.

Personally, I'm traveling with a mountain lion named Peaches who prefers the same sneaky murderkilling approach I do, which works out well.

Also, turkeys are savage. :o

maxbeedo

• Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 02, 2018, 10:53:00 PM »
Haven't been playing anything new lately.  Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen was on sale on PS4, a game I already platinumed on PS3, but felt like playing it again so I've been going through that with a different playstyle.  The classes and combat in that game are just plain fun.  First time I was all martial/strength switching between Fighter/Warrior/Magick Knight/Assassin, this time I've been mostly spellcasting, summoning giant tornados to throw enemies around, dropping meteors left and right, and now just switched to Magick Archer after having used mostly Sorcerer to boost magic so my DPS is ridiculous.  Been one-shotting 2-3 boss enemies with one casting of Ricochet Hunter, which is like the old pre-1.10 D2 Pierce+Guided Arrow on crack.  I really, really want Capcom to give this series another go, and it's been 5+ years.  Dragon's Dogma Online is still Japan-only and will never get localized, and the PC port for DD:DA sold really well for them.  The director did say he has a new game to announce this year, but most people are expected a return to Devil May Cry since he directed 2-4.

Godji

• Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 03, 2018, 07:18:09 AM »
I played Dragon Dogma only last year and really had a great time too. As for announcements at this stage I'd be very happy both with a new Dragon's Dogma and a new DMC (and, despite DmC not being bad at all, hopefully a true DMC 5).

Liquid Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 06, 2018, 11:49:43 AM »
Haven't been playing anything new lately.
The SFV season 3.5 patch dropped this week and your homegirl Cammy avoided meaningful nerfs and got some (minor?) buffs. Season of the 'beedo.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 06, 2018, 12:20:48 PM »
Yeah, I saw, although the changes to fight money and the lack of new ways to earn it have made me somewhat salty.  Saying "everything can be earned in-game" is pointless if no one will ever earn enough to buy half of what they put out.  0.9% of players have earned 1 million fight money, and 1.4 million is needed to unlock the 14 characters they've put out so far (plus another million+ for stages, million+ for costumes, etc.).  Halving all fight money earnings through missions and completely removing all fight money earned through trials, survival and story mode was a giant smack to the face saying "yeah, we lied, buy everything with real money or get out."  I've mostly gone back to playing CvS2, since that game is much deeper, has more characters, and has a lot of little touches like special intros that show some characterization.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 06, 2018, 02:32:41 PM »
Well I am about 60% done with FC4.  It is an enjoyable game but FC3 was much better.  Which is strange because it is almost the same game.  But FC3 has better characters, better story lines, better pacing and skill progression.  It just about every way possible FC3 is better than FC4.  Hopefully FC5 doesn't fall into the same issues.

BTW the award for awesome background music used in a trailer goes to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whl28r8dVMU

The song is Red Sex by Vessel.  The actual song goes a little off the rails half way through but is still awesome.

Liquid Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 06, 2018, 07:14:32 PM »
Yeah, I saw, although the changes to fight money and the lack of new ways to earn it have made me somewhat salty.  Saying "everything can be earned in-game" is pointless if no one will ever earn enough to buy half of what they put out.  0.9% of players have earned 1 million fight money, and 1.4 million is needed to unlock the 14 characters they've put out so far (plus another million+ for stages, million+ for costumes, etc.).  Halving all fight money earnings through missions and completely removing all fight money earned through trials, survival and story mode was a giant smack to the face saying "yeah, we lied, buy everything with real money or get out."  I've mostly gone back to playing CvS2, since that game is much deeper, has more characters, and has a lot of little touches like special intros that show some characterization.
Looks like the Golden Shadaloo Soldier quest comes back on April 12th with a payout of 18K after entry fees if you're concerned about fight money, but yeah, I too, wish that SFV had unique character intros and such.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 13, 2018, 10:31:11 PM »
Looks like the Golden Shadaloo Soldier quest comes back on April 12th with a payout of 18K after entry fees if you're concerned about fight money, but yeah, I too, wish that SFV had unique character intros and such.

Even if there were 10 GSSs every week (there hasn't been one for over 2 months) that wouldn't be enough to pay for what's available.  The one this week also seemed to be invincible during various regular moves and his forward dash (he dashed forward through fireballs, my crouching MK passed through him while he whiffed a crouching MP, etc.), and can combo overhead dive kick into multiple dash punches into uppercut (over 40% health).  It's basically betting against the house. 

Liquid Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 14, 2018, 12:48:37 PM »
Even if there were 10 GSSs every week (there hasn't been one for over 2 months) that wouldn't be enough to pay for what's available.  The one this week also seemed to be invincible during various regular moves and his forward dash (he dashed forward through fireballs, my crouching MK passed through him while he whiffed a crouching MP, etc.), and can combo overhead dive kick into multiple dash punches into uppercut (over 40% health).  It's basically betting against the house.
I wish there were more opportunities for fight money and these golden guys weren't so few and far between as well. However, if you're having a hard time beating them in a standard 1v1, then you could just cheese the AI to make sure you end up winning. For whatever reason, the computer has a very hard time dealing with Vega's FBA, Abigail's run into flip, and Rashid's Eagle Spike if you are just wanting some easy fight money. Maybe something to consider for next time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_votbOxMPkk&feature=youtu.be

In other news, my friends and I are looking to get into a new MP game just to screw around once a week or so. We haven't officially settled on a title yet, but I think we're leaning toward Forza Horizon 3 or Ultimate Chicken Horse. Our common system is Xbox One, so it's gotta be on that particular platform. Both look like fun dink-around games when we are wanting something different from our usual. Ignoring FPS games since we've already done a lot of those, the common ground among our favorite games is relatively small (Respective favorites we play individually include SF, LoL, Fable series, Lego series). If you can comment on the fun factor of FH3 or UCH or even come up with a better game for our purposes, I'm all ears.

Darkness

• Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 17, 2018, 06:07:21 AM »
Completed 3030 Deathwar Redux last week. Thoroughly enjoyed it, although the game didn't deliver the "Monkey island" puzzle solving experience alongside space combat as I'd hoped it would. The story remained satisfying until the end, with the lead character refusing to let go of his principle gripe until the last moment. The game has replay value as well, having started a second play through and been able to do things differently this time around, in terms of experiencing story content. A worthwhile buy for the price.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 17, 2018, 10:13:28 AM »
Finished FC4.  Overall disappointed.  There literally is no payoff for having completed any of the tasks.  And all the NPCs are assholes.  Every single one, with one exception.  Longinus is the one stand out in this train wreck.  Interesting story.  Very weird in its own way, but ultimately it has a pay off.

The only redeeming factor in this game is the game play.  It is your standard fare for FC.  Sneak around taking out the bad guys.  Or just go in guns blazing and rip everything to shreds.  Even this had flaws as the Shangri-La missions where just annoying as f*.  Especially the last one.  It sucked moose balls.  Running around in circles trying to kill that f**king bird thing as annoying as hell.  And then there is no payoff.

So is FC5 like FC4 or FC3 or somewhere in between?  If it is like FC4 I might not bother.

At this point I have moved on to Andromeda.  I am going to give this one another try.  Finished the opening sequence which is too long without the ability to save.  I can already see some improvements that they made to the graphics.  Hopefully I will see more as I progress.  Character creation is still pretty lousy.