Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 36693 times)

Darkness

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #180 on: February 15, 2018, 06:29:50 AM »
Discovered Endless Sky on Steam, which is currently free. Nice game and easy to get into. Can't tell if combat is overly simplistic or has depth which I haven't worked out yet. Scratches an itch for a hybrid between Elite and EvE style gameplay.

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 20, 2018, 12:40:25 AM »
Picked up Darkest Dungeon and Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition over the weekend.  Darkest Dungeons seems like it'll be fun for one go but the RNG is pretty heavy and requires much more of a grind than other Rogue-lites I've played.

If anyone has any good tips about Planescape: Torment I'd welcome them, as I'm not sure I'll have a lot of fun playing it, but I need it for inspiration for the D&D planar campaign I'm writing.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 20, 2018, 01:48:27 AM »
If anyone has any good tips about Planescape: Torment I'd welcome them, as I'm not sure I'll have a lot of fun playing it, but I need it for inspiration for the D&D planar campaign I'm writing.

Int and Wis are key stats for getting the best possible ending as well as accessing a lot of quests.

Although there is combat it is a less combat focused game than the BG series. Early on combat is quite tough until you've recruited additional characters. I advise acquiring Dakon asap.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2018, 02:24:27 AM »

Int and Wis are key stats for getting the best possible ending as well as accessing a lot of quests.

Although there is combat it is a less combat focused game than the BG series. Early on combat is quite tough until you've recruited additional characters. I advise acquiring Dakon asap.

Dakon has been acquired.  I like that beyond the "tutorial" combat at the beginning the game in the opening is mostly talking, and you get quite a lot of XP by talking.  Rewarding the player for exploring its characters and lore is something more games should do.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2018, 03:27:40 AM »
  Rewarding the player for exploring its characters and lore is something more games should do.
It's why Planescape: Torment is one of the all time greats. It focuses on story and what a story it is.

Liquid Evil

• Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2018, 02:59:12 PM »
Still hot and heavy into the fighting games atm so I got myself a new stick. Full album up on imgur: https://imgur.com/a/sTYFD

Liquid Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2018, 07:39:09 PM »
Got a copy of Secret of Mana for PS4. Surprisingly, not one I played on SNES as a kid. Will probably save it for when my brother is over since it looks like a game that should be up his alley.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2018, 08:12:24 PM »
I've watched a couple streamers play it.  I beat it like 10 times as a kid and seeing that the remake has basically 0 new content (and that it's $40) made it an easy pass for me.  It does at least have some decent new cutscenes between the characters whenever sleeping at an inn.

Melchior

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 01, 2018, 10:03:59 PM »
Picked up Darkest Dungeon and Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition over the weekend.  Darkest Dungeons seems like it'll be fun for one go but the RNG is pretty heavy and requires much more of a grind than other Rogue-lites I've played.

I love Darkest Dungeon.

Been playing it a LOT and the RNG can be...frustrating. Took me a long time to finish the game the first time on 'Darkest' difficulty. Now I am doing that same difficulty with Crimson Court, after which I will do a Stygian run. The CC DLC makes the game somewhat harder.

Once you get a feel for party compositions and what skills to use where (for example, bleed is largely useless is The Ruins), the game gets easier and you actually feel like you can progress, rather than getting destroyed.

There's a huge amount of info available (I used the DD sub-Reddit) and I recommend using it to learn the basics, at least. Overall though, it's about mitigating RNG rape and bringing the best and most useful team to the dungeon you're tackling.

It IS grindy until you understand how to win, but later you can get through much faster, as such Stygian has a time and death limit, which I forget offhand. I honestly enjoy the grinding in this game though. :)

If anyone else is playing and wants to discuss/ask questions/etc, we could start a thread!

syn

• Cookies: 7
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 02, 2018, 07:54:29 PM »
Discovered Endless Sky on Steam, which is currently free. Nice game and easy to get into. Can't tell if combat is overly simplistic or has depth which I haven't worked out yet. Scratches an itch for a hybrid between Elite and EvE style gameplay.

thanks for posting this. it's basically Escape Velocity redone, as far as i can tell. haven't stumbled across much in the way of story in this one yet, but it's been some good mindless fun building up a fleet, so far.
"There is a scene in Star Wars where the heroes are in a trash compactor on the Death Star with the walls closing in. I'm reminded of that this morning, except for perhaps the stuff about the heroes."
Dan Rather 9/14/18

Godji

• Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 04, 2018, 07:03:27 AM »
I loved Darkest Dungeon, but indeed some streaks of bad luck lead to absolutely impossible to avoid deaths (like when despite being at 90% light, you get surprised by enemies who proceed to land crit + death blow on your healer...) which immediately converts to a looooong grind to level new heroes.
Still, excellent game, a little bit grindy.

Currently playing Nioh which I a liking quite a bit (vaguely Dak Soulsesque, with less exploration and world-building but more combat depth), and after having many friends explain to me that it completely broke the genre convention, I have decided to give a try to Doki Doki Litterature Club despite me not being a huge fan of visual novels. No spoiler yet, I've just begun (and it is still very much a classic VN AFAICS so far).

lemming

• Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 04, 2018, 02:09:46 PM »
DDLC is... not nearly as original as western media makes it out to be.

It's alright though.

Godji

• Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 05, 2018, 07:51:20 AM »
I finished DDLC this week-end, and it may be that I don't know visual novels that well, but damn, that was largely original enough for me.
It certainly twisted any assumptions I had going in. Do take the warnings very seriously though.

EDIT : hmm, am I being silly, or are we missing a spoiler tag ?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 07:53:22 AM by Godji »

lemming

• Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 05, 2018, 02:11:49 PM »
I think this article is the best take I've seen on it from a western outlet: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/kzp7gy/doki-doki-literature-club-history-visual-novels

It's not to say that it's a bad game or plagiarized or anything, but it's frustrating to see the demographic that's normally dismissive of Japanese media in general and especially VNs tout DDLC as something bigger than it actually is; the implication that it took an American to revolutionize the genre past decades of stagnancy in its homeland is uncomfortable, at best.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 05, 2018, 04:42:57 PM »
Yeah, no functional spoiler tag Godji. :(

I have had DDLC installed for a while but haven't gotten around to playing. Numerous friends praise the shit out of it, though, so I will..... soon... ish.