Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 37532 times)

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 13
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2018, 09:03:59 AM »
Rented a private server and my kids and I are playing Conan Exiles. Tons of fun! :D

Sssith

• Cookies: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 20, 2018, 10:58:47 AM »
Never played that game.  Sounds like a good way to bond with you kids.  Right now I would have to be playing PubG if I wanted to do the same.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 20, 2018, 10:20:25 PM »
Ewwww... I'm so sorry.

Godji

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2018, 09:20:49 AM »
Still playing Horizon Zero Dawn (I have more or less discovered the whole map now, so I expect progression to now be very fast), and some GTA online (the new Heists they released are quite fun). Probably going to start Nioh after I'm done with Horizon.

Liquid Evil

• Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2018, 05:03:28 PM »
Started Hidden Agendas on PS4 with some friends and it's a cool party game where not everyone has to be a good gamer to enjoy it. If you can round up a handful of buddies (I think up to 6 since you can use phones as controllers) to play in your living room, it's a good time.

I'll occasionally play a SNES game or something, but mostly I'm into Street Fighter V these days. I even built my kid a fight stick (with a slimy, Ecto-cooler theme for those suh-weet style points) so he can get in on the action as well. https://imgur.com/a/981Yz
SFV: Arcade Edition and the Season 3 balance changes just dropped last week, so I've got to learn some new setups and new character matchups. Not sure how I'm liking some of my main's changes just yet, but I'll definitely make it work. I'm still the epitome of a character loyalist.

Sssith

• Cookies: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2018, 09:54:03 AM »
Ewwww... I'm so sorry.

I haven't tried the game but it sounds pretty fun.  Last night they set up a private server and they got almost thirty friends to play together.  They put themselves into a three person squadrons and played for a couple of hours.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2018, 02:05:18 PM »
Really enjoying plantera, one of those idle clicker games.  I can let them work for up to 13 hours, i get my money, reinvest and close it.  It won't take too much more effort to get all the achievements, and its fun to click on the critters and collect loot.

sam_manzanza

• Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2018, 03:12:00 PM »
Started Hidden Agendas on PS4 with some friends and it's a cool party game where not everyone has to be a good gamer to enjoy it. If you can round up a handful of buddies (I think up to 6 since you can use phones as controllers) to play in your living room, it's a good time.

I'll occasionally play a SNES game or something, but mostly I'm into Street Fighter V these days. I even built my kid a fight stick (with a slimy, Ecto-cooler theme for those suh-weet style points) so he can get in on the action as well. https://imgur.com/a/981Yz
SFV: Arcade Edition and the Season 3 balance changes just dropped last week, so I've got to learn some new setups and new character matchups. Not sure how I'm liking some of my main's changes just yet, but I'll definitely make it work. I'm still the epitome of a character loyalist.
<3. That controller looks awesome too - good to see your little fella will be stomping faces in style, just like his old man.

I've just completed Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I basically just skipped all cut scenes for the 2nd half of the game because the story, dialogue and voice acting are absolutely painful. Had to play with the sound off the entire game, as the characters say the same five insufferable lines over and over and over during fights ("Let's win using the power of friendship"... kill me now) and it made me want to superglue my ears shut. Supposedly you can turn their voices off, but it never worked for me. It's a shame because the music is great. Anyway, don't buy this game unless you love cringey anime-style crap. Battle system was fun, but the menus and overworld mechanics are so poorly designed that it's a chore to play. One review said it was all breadth and no depth, which is exactly right. I put 75 hours into it, but I recommend that you don't.

Finally finished Zelda BotW as well. God what a revelation it was going back to that game after playing XBC2. So accessible and so many great quality of life features, plus it's fun as hell. Downloaded the DLC and have been chipping away at that, but don't want to burn through it too fast.

I also downloaded Hammerwatch on Switch. Fun little 16-bit top-down dungeon crawler. Super basic, but the combat is enough fun to keep me interested. Only put 3-4 hours into it, but at the same price as a movie ticket, it's paid itself off already.

Looking at getting Lost Sphear this weekend, though it was only released yesterday and the reviews aren't stellar. Did anyone here play I Am Setsuna, which was the (sort of) prequel to Lost Sphear?

Might wait for something better to come along, though there's a bit of a lull in Switch RPGs over the next few months. Skyrim maybe? Kiss my life goodbye for a couple of months?

Kasferatu

• Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2018, 03:45:35 PM »
I've just completed Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I basically just skipped all cut scenes for the 2nd half of the game because the story, dialogue and voice acting are absolutely painful. Had to play with the sound off the entire game, as the characters say the same five insufferable lines over and over and over during fights ("Let's win using the power of friendship"... kill me now) and it made me want to superglue my ears shut. Supposedly you can turn their voices off, but it never worked for me. It's a shame because the music is great. Anyway, don't buy this game unless you love cringey anime-style crap. Battle system was fun, but the menus and overworld mechanics are so poorly designed that it's a chore to play. One review said it was all breadth and no depth, which is exactly right. I put 75 hours into it, but I recommend that you don't.

Damn.  I bought this just before Christmas but haven't started it yet.  Did you play the first Xenoblade Chronicles?

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2018, 04:27:40 PM »
Looking at getting Lost Sphear this weekend, though it was only released yesterday and the reviews aren't stellar. Did anyone here play I Am Setsuna, which was the (sort of) prequel to Lost Sphear?

I platinumed I Am Setsuna, mostly because of the interesting mechanics.  I wouldn't consider it above average in story, graphics, design or music (although a few songs were great), but it wasn't terrible either.  I would expect a 5-7 out of 10 game.

sam_manzanza

• Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2018, 08:16:56 PM »

Damn.  I bought this just before Christmas but haven't started it yet.  Did you play the first Xenoblade Chronicles?
No, this was my first time playing a Xeno-game of any sort. All the feedback I have seen is that it's pretty true the series, so if you liked the earlier games, you'll probably like this.

What pisses me off about this game is that if they spent some time polishing it (making the menus more streamlined, improving the map/navigation, other general QoL improvements), it would have been a 10/10 for me from a gameplay perspective (story/voice-acting = 0/10 still, but that might just be an aversion to anime cheese). But they didn't and it feels rushed and poorly thought-out a lot of the time.

The battles are fun though and some of the item/character progression elements are good. And again, I still put 75+ hours into it. I'd give it a 6/10 overall, scoring 8/10 in some areas, but 0/10 in others.

@Maxbeedo: Good to know - thanks. More reviews seem to be coming out now and I am leaning toward not getting it. One review said you could beat it inside of 20 hours, which probably makes it not worth the investment.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2018, 11:48:13 PM »
I can't stop playing Conan: Exiles every single free minute I have. Holy crap, this game has grabbed me.

Kasferatu

• Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2018, 04:40:01 PM »
No, this was my first time playing a Xeno-game of any sort. All the feedback I have seen is that it's pretty true the series, so if you liked the earlier games, you'll probably like this.

What pisses me off about this game is that if they spent some time polishing it (making the menus more streamlined, improving the map/navigation, other general QoL improvements), it would have been a 10/10 for me from a gameplay perspective (story/voice-acting = 0/10 still, but that might just be an aversion to anime cheese). But they didn't and it feels rushed and poorly thought-out a lot of the time.

The battles are fun though and some of the item/character progression elements are good. And again, I still put 75+ hours into it. I'd give it a 6/10 overall, scoring 8/10 in some areas, but 0/10 in others.

I really liked Xenoblade Chronicles, so I think I'm immune to some of the terrible story tropes.  The voice acting was a mess though, and I think I'll download the Japanese voice pack for this one.

I've been playing an absolute tonne of Mario Odyssey, but I think I'm finally done with it.  There is one crazy post-game challenge I just can't do after an hour and I've almost launched my Jon-cons across the room!  Incredible game though.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2018, 06:48:46 PM »
I see torchlight has a mobile game out now called guardians. Iíve spent a few minutes but need to do more to see if itís worth it

Ray Patean

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2018, 07:28:26 PM »
Liq: That stick is awesome!!