Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 37516 times)

lemming

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2017, 06:29:53 PM »
that just fetches itad data, right

that'd work

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2017, 11:54:13 PM »
Finished Valkyria Chronicles Remastered on PS4.  I ended up liking this game a lot more than I expected.  The game reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy Tactics, and not just because Hitoshi Sakimoto did the soundtrack for both games (and it shares many voice actors with FF12 which is another Ivalice game).  Both involve very strategic gameplay where you use characters one by one towards an objective, where they are able to move a certain distance and do one action each turn.  Instead of a fantasy world with a grid-based system from an isometric perspective, now it's a fictional-WW2 world with a 3D-map from a 3rd-person and top-down perspective, with guns and tanks instead of bows and magic, and you get to manually aim and take each shot instead of relying entirely on numbers.  The semi-serious war-based story coupled with some pretty stellar character development meant that the possibility of permadeath for any of my people was something I worried about constantly.  The art style was charming, the battles were challenging, and it has one of the more believable love stories in any game (with a satisfying payoff).  The game is also on PC.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2017, 09:39:00 PM »
Summer Games Done Quick starts tomorrow.  Something to watch at least.

The Mini SNES was announced and looks to be a much better package than the Mini NES.  Star Fox 2 is the real surprise, as the game had never been officially released before.  Final Fantasy 6, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG and Earthbound are probably the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th best RPGs on the system (1st being Chrono Trigger, which may have been skipped due to 3DS, PS1, and PSN releases).  Mega Man X, Contra 3, F-Zero, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Super Mario Kart, Yoshi's Island, it's got quite the nice collection.  Comes out September 29th, assuming anyone can find one.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2017, 10:57:49 PM »
I will never understand the appeal of GDQ. Ever.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2017, 12:40:42 AM »
I don't watch the whole thing, or even 20% of it, but there are some games and players that are entertaining enough for me to check it out.  It gets a little too commercial sometimes, with the constant requests for money like a PBS special, but the most donations tend come in when something happens that requires genuine skill, which is what I appreciate too.  I do plan on watching the Diablo 2 Any% Normal Assassin run next Saturday morning, and various other runs on Thursday-Saturday, though most of the games up until then I don't really care about.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2017, 05:22:43 PM »
I will never understand the appeal of GDQ. Ever.

Watching 1million plus be raised to fight cancer, help good charities.  Some games, its good to watch, others are awful (including some you like to play)

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2017, 06:54:26 PM »
Nope, still don't see the appeal in watching people "play" games that way.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2017, 07:51:38 PM »
If you're specifically against speedrunning as a style of play, then I kinda agree.  I'm more of a completionist myself, don't see myself ever trying to time myself during runs, even on games I'm an absolute expert on.  I can recognize and appreciate both types of skills though, the hypergodmode I-can-see-the-matrix dudes (like the Tetris: GrandMaster Edition runners), or the planners who see absolutely everything a game has to offer in every category with every character (and often provide the strats the speedrunners use).

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2017, 10:54:14 PM »
I've enjoyed seeing 2 or more people race in a game.  Sure you can't do this in a text heavy story based game.   But imagine something like Tomb Raider, seeing 2 or 4 people race, its not always one person in front.   Can be great in a non linear game where different people go different ways .. who will end up in front! or will random luck stop someone?  I spent a while watching some console game I've never seen before, and will never play.  It was fun to watch though (for me).

I saw the Diablo speedrun, that had lucky/perfect spawns where the person just went down to the next level, and the entrance/exit were always next to each other.  They glitched some stuff for no challenge mode.  That was boring to watch.

Others where you see amazing skill, or tricks that a normal person struggles to pull of can be great to watch.

For me, this reminds me when I was a kid and there was one computer in a school room.  People would play before class. If you weren't playing, you were watching and cheering them on, maybe getting some ideas when you had a chance yourself.  This type of thing, its much more fun watching someone efficient, or doing something fun, than slow

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2017, 01:22:05 PM »
Not a lot of chatter here...

Mostly just been replaying older stuff.  Since the original Starcraft is now free (Remastered costs money but whatever), been replaying that.  When I was younger and inexperienced with RTSs I couldn't beat a lot of the missions in Brood War without cheats, so I'm plowing through now without help, although the last few Zerg missions have been pretty hard.

After watching EpicNameBro play through Dark Souls 2:SotfS and actually enjoy it again, picked it up and have gotten pretty far towards Platinuming it again (already did the original version on PS3).  Didn't really find any of the DLC areas that fun, except for the Old Chaos battle in Crown of the Ivory King, as there isn't any other battle like it in Soulsborne (where you can have 6+ allied NPCs helping you).  I can see why some people hate the optional areas; Cave of the Dead, Iron Passage and the Frigid Outskirts are pretty unfair areas, although I did beat the Iron Passage first try thanks to the boss being a reskin of one I'm very very familiar with.

Once I'm done with those I'll move on to Shadow of Mordor and Street Fighter V, as I got them both pretty cheaply.

Sssith

• Cookies: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2017, 03:28:17 PM »
I played, and very much enjoyed Shadow of Mordor.  I found it got a bit repetitive but ultimately it was hugely enjoyable.  The fighting in particular was enjoyable and really flowed well.  I hope you enjoy it.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2017, 03:29:31 AM »
Finished the (2nd) platinum of DS2: Sotfs.  Pretty easy to blaze through with a Hexer build, despite the nerfs to many of the spells I used the first time I platinumed it (mainly all the lightning spear variants are garbage now and you can only cast them 3 times instead of 22).  Not a huge fan of the ridiculous number of NPC invaders, somewhere around 30 in a single playthrough, which mainly just slow progress and don't offer much of a challenge, although a few in the DLCs were interesting (one "invades" you without a message and pretends to be a helpful white phantom until he backstabs you, then he runs away and heals or hides behind other enemies).  Lore-wise I think I prefer DS2 to any of the other Souls games though, in that it at least tries to address the purpose of your end game choice and bring up questions about the human condition (especially through Lucatiel).  Sadly DS3 largely abandoned DS2's lore so none of the interesting questions get answered, in fact I don't think any NPC in DS3 talks about Curses at all, when that was a freaking big deal in DS1 and 2.

Started up Street Fighter V to see if it has improved with all the additions since it's too-early release, and it seems that it is.  The tutorial system is pretty good, better than any other Street Fighter game at least.  There are 20 trials per character, a very quick story mode for each character and an overarching story (which has to be downloaded separately apparently).  Thankfully all of the characters they keep coming up with do not require real money to unlock, they can be bought with in-game money, and from what I can tell after an hour or so the only items that require real money are costumes (for people that like to play dress up with their waifus I guess).

Godji

• Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2017, 04:49:40 AM »
Tbf I really didn't miss lightning spear on a hexer build given that the basic dark spell, dark orb, has many casts and while it isn't sunlight spear, it's  still more than powerul enough to still be extremely useful end-game.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2017, 12:28:21 PM »
Exactly, I usually used 3-4 sets of Dark Orb which was enough to clear multiple areas without resting, a few sets of Great Resonant Soul for quicker kills on invaders (I had heard it had been nerfed but not really), and Dark Fog for poison kills on slower enemies. 

Godji

• Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2017, 02:58:07 AM »
Many Dark spells are quite original, and are absolutely stunning... in PvP : silence spell and the DLC spell which raises your encumbrance by a set percentage can really mess up people's builds and expectations, affinity gives you some breathing room to cast other spells, dark fogs get people out of safe zones... I had never really dipped in PvP in the Souls games until my Hexer, and loved it.

It's been a while since my last Souls run (a Bloodborne run with a friend early this year), it may be time for me to start Dark Souls III.