Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 62769 times)

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #990 on: September 09, 2020, 03:50:34 PM »
Finished HZD just in time to pick up the Kingdoms of Amalur remaster yesterday. Really enjoying it so far. I loved the game way back when, so it's fun to revisit.

Liquid Evil

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: September 13, 2020, 07:01:56 PM »
Nearly finished with my Vewlix clone build and I've got it set it up for SFV. It was a fun project and now the kids have some more buttons to mash.

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: September 13, 2020, 07:51:52 PM »
That's freaking awesome.  I've always thought about "If I had the room, would I start collecting arcade machines?", but building it custom is probably cheaper and looks better considering how expensive some of the more popular ones are that I've seen.

Liquid Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #993 on: September 14, 2020, 07:24:37 AM »
I collect/build fight sticks, so this was a definitely a bit bigger project than I'm used to. And yeah, some arcade models can get crazy expensive, so this was a nice compromise: I got a project out of the deal and got to customize one to match the picture in my head, and it probably only cost half as much as an authentic one. We aren't overflowing with extra space either, but these Vewlix style ones are actually fairly shallow and the footprint isn't really that big, so it works. (And I'm glad I got a maxbeedo comment on it since I figured you were one FGC guys here who might appreciate a little SF aesthetic.)

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #994 on: September 18, 2020, 11:17:55 AM »
So the PS5 thing happened, and the internet was set ablaze with pre-pre-orders (pre-orders put up by retailers before they should have).  $499 for disc unit, $399 for digital, November 12th, but good luck finding one, as scalpers will be buying all 8-12 million they plan to have ready at launch.  Demon's Souls remake and Spiderman: Miles Morales on launch day.  Harry Potter RPG showed more, Final Fantasy XVI announced and shown, God of War: Ragnarok announced.  Lots of PS4 games downloadable for free with PS+ on PS5 on launch day.  Also the rumored price jump for next-gen games seems to be happening, with $70 being the new standard.

The Demon's Souls remake looks really good, but I also platinumed that game so unless it has brand-new content, I can certainly wait to get a PS5 for it.  I didn't "love" Spiderman, so I'm not in any hurry to get Miles Morales.  I will certainly be getting a PS5 eventually but I'm not going to get into an F5 fight to secure one this year. 

Liquid Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #995 on: September 18, 2020, 05:25:19 PM »
So the PS5 thing happened, and the internet was set ablaze with pre-pre-orders (pre-orders put up by retailers before they should have).

I agree and though I haven't seriously started looking for the PS5 yet, when I come across a pre-order post/sale, it's always sold out, even if I'm just 10 minutes late to the party. I can't imagine trying to be some random parent wanting to get one for their kid or something because that looks like it will be an uphill battle for sure.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: September 21, 2020, 08:06:41 PM »
Microsoft has bought Zenimax which includes Bethesda.

I think this should be a positive step as Microsoft are doing some great things on gaming and not being a dick when they could.

Iím excited John Carmack, previously at id software might be able to do some stuff with his old games. Maybe releasing some source code like they used to! Great source ports and mods incoming!

Sssith

• Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: September 21, 2020, 08:33:12 PM »
Yeah. But it is never great when huge companies gobble up the smaller ones.  Admittedly MS has been ok lately with their gaming house.  I don't trust them to stay that way.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: September 22, 2020, 10:19:23 AM »
I hate this news. I'm worried what it means for Starfield, TES6, and ESO. And I'm worried MS will foist another New Vegas on us since they own Obsidian too...

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #999 on: September 22, 2020, 10:41:17 AM »
Starfield looks like a DOOM game.  Lately those have been super twitchy for me.  I should probably give it another try.

Kasferatu

• Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: September 22, 2020, 11:49:04 AM »
And I'm worried MS will foist another New Vegas on us since they own Obsidian too...

This would be the best news all year.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: September 22, 2020, 12:31:38 PM »
Starfield looks like a DOOM game.  Lately those have been super twitchy for me.  I should probably give it another try.

Wut? AFAIK, we haven't even seen anything for Starfield yet. Where are you seeing a DOOM-like to it? It's Elder Scrolls in Space...

Are you sure you're thinking of the right game?

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: September 22, 2020, 12:33:38 PM »
And I'm worried MS will foist another New Vegas on us since they own Obsidian too...

This would be the best news all year.

A lot of people feel that way. And Obsidian was pretty coy about it when asked directly.

I'm just... not a fan. NV was my least favorite Fallout, and Obsidian games generally fall flat for me. Most recently The Outer Worlds, which was forgettable and got stale before I could finish it.

Except Grounded. I'm having a lot of fun with that, but I think that's just a small segregated part of Obsidian working on it.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: September 25, 2020, 06:50:24 AM »
Left 4 dead 2 gets a big community update which is cool.  30 new achievements? Cool, but some that will be many hours of grind .. fuck I didn't want that.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: September 25, 2020, 11:59:37 AM »

Wut? AFAIK, we haven't even seen anything for Starfield yet. Where are you seeing a DOOM-like to it? It's Elder Scrolls in Space...

Are you sure you're thinking of the right game?

No clue where I saw that.  Can't seem to find it again.