Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 59364 times)

mn4nu

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 23
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #945 on: July 23, 2020, 07:29:42 PM »
I almost hate to admit it, but I've been hooked on this mobile game called Harvest Land for the past few weeks.  My wife has been playing it for awhile before I did and I mocked her for it.  Then I tried it and got hooked.  If you like mobile games where you make things, then use that stuff to build other things, or sell it, then you will like it.  Also, you can join a clan and compete in weekly "dragon races" to get more goodies.  You can also friend people and help each other.  It's a good time sink.

Sssith

• THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: July 24, 2020, 11:06:01 AM »
Mobile games?  Loser.  Next you will tell me how much you are looking forward to Diablo Immortal.  I guess you have a phone.  ;)

mn4nu

• View Profile
« Reply #947 on: July 24, 2020, 12:57:47 PM »
lol...yes I have phone.  No diablo immortal for me though!

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: July 24, 2020, 05:46:41 PM »
Most mobile games are designed well to be time sinks and try to be money sinks too. Iím not surprised to hear you are having fun based on what I know about your gaming where you are like frogs. Play very few games but those ones you play the crap out of them.

I have one I do in my commute. And enjoy a lot

Iíve moved away from games where to progress there is a chance of going backwards.

Most of them have common currencys, premium currencies and the chance to buy in with real $ but in weird ways you struggle to work out.

Some just let you play as much as you want. Others put random things such as resources, tickets or certain time or other gates. Sometimes I find these limiting features good to limit the time spent in games. Other times it annoys me i uninstall

Also watch what happens when more patches come with time. Do they get pushing the end games? More levels or higher hurdles? Or help you get towards the end faster

mn4nu

• View Profile
« Reply #949 on: July 25, 2020, 11:35:24 AM »
Nice to hear from you Tim!  I don't spend any real $ on the mobile game, but I know lots of people do.  It takes longer to do things that way, but I refuse to spend money on it.  It's teaches patience!

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: July 26, 2020, 06:56:38 AM »
Turned out I had to change a setting in some config file and enable full screen rather than borderless full screen - now its running at a sweet 144 fps! I can finally play...

I ended up playing for about 30 minutes, but then my friend encouraged me to try No Man's Sky again and I've got really into that.  By really into I mean I've played 6 hours of it - which is a lot of gaming time for me these days  ;D

maxbeedo

• Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: July 27, 2020, 10:48:21 AM »
Ended up platinuming Valkyria Chronicles 4, mainly because the squad stories and endgame skirmishes were the most fun parts of the gameplay, with levels being mostly fair, although somewhat stacked against you in numbers.

Put about 12 hours into Judgment.  Similar issues and highlights to Yakuza games.  Main story seems interesting, playing a lawyer who is known for acquitting a killer, who then gets roped into helping clear a Yakuza from a murder (who is clearly not completely innocent).  Seems like it will have some decent twists and turns, as I'm only on chapter 3 out of somewhere in the teens I think.  Side stories have been decent, and plenty of minigames to keep me occupied or to have as a more passive thing to do while listening to podcasts or whatever.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #952 on: July 27, 2020, 10:55:35 AM »
... friend encouraged me to try No Man's Sky again and I've got really into that.  By really into I mean I've played 6 hours of it - which is a lot of gaming time for me these days  ;D

How involved is the flying mechanic?  I played Elite Dangerous which was really interesting but a pain in the ass to learn.  Trying to land took time to learn to control the ship as an example.  And without the joystick you were left with awkward controls with keyboard and mouse.

Started FC5.  So far it has been somewhat meh.

Liquid Evil

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: July 27, 2020, 08:27:24 PM »
My kid and I have been playing some Hydro Thunder Hurricane. It was a dumb, free game on Xbox I had in my library and I guess sometimes that's just what you need. Water racing physics can be pretty hit or miss, but this has been a good time and we've unlocked every boat. We've also messed around with Hellmut: The Badass from Hell on PS4. We haven't beat it yet, though we've come close. Other than that, I still mess around with SFV and build the occasional fightstick.

Kasferatu

• Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: July 28, 2020, 08:06:53 AM »
How involved is the flying mechanic?  I played Elite Dangerous which was really interesting but a pain in the ass to learn.  Trying to land took time to learn to control the ship as an example.  And without the joystick you were left with awkward controls with keyboard and mouse.

It's super easy, although I'd say most of my time has been spent on the planet so far.  Landing you pretty much press 'E' when you are somewhat near the ground and the ship sorts itself out.  Space stations you just fly straight at the entrance and autopilot takes over.  I'm playing completely M+K but I can see it would be just as easy with a controller.  This is definitely not a space sim.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: July 28, 2020, 02:56:47 PM »
Today is Grounded day! Wooooooo!

/installing/

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #956 on: July 28, 2020, 04:06:58 PM »
Have fun playing 'outside'.  Don't get eaten by the ants and remember to be home for dinner.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: July 28, 2020, 04:12:57 PM »
I think the spiders are a bigger concern! ... literally

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: July 28, 2020, 07:24:23 PM »
Holy shit, Grounded is good,guys.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #959 on: August 03, 2020, 11:07:18 AM »
I have been making steady progress in FC5.  There are three bosses before you get to the final boss.  I just killed the first.  You have to take him out in a dog fight.  Which is plain stupid because trying to fly the planes is a joke IMO.  I can imagine that some people get good at it but I couldn't be bothered.  So my hired help did most of the damage to keep the plane out of the sky.  What is also stupid is that you get captured four times before you can take out the first boss.  Do they kill you?  Of course not. :roll:  They want to 'save' you for some reason.  Aside from that stupidity the game is pretty good.  FC3 is still the best one IMO.  Onto the next section of the game.