Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 57203 times)

Sssith

• THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #885 on: June 03, 2020, 05:19:06 PM »
I continue to make progress in Divine Divinity Original Sin 2.  DDOS2 from now on.

The game is really good and I am guessing that I am about 50% through it.  It has a nice mix of main quests and side quests.  Does a good job of world building.  This is making me excited for Baldur's Gate 3 as the same company is making that did DDOS2.  Though there are statements floating out there that the game will not follow all of edition 5 rules.  Mixed feelings about that one, but overall that seems like a small thing. 

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: June 03, 2020, 07:01:41 PM »
I hope BG3 does follow it relatively closely, because there aren't any videogames that use 5e rules (even though it's been out for 6+ years).  Neverwinter Nights helped me learn 3e rules when I didn't have a group to play with, and when I found a group it was easy to jump in and even eventually start DMing, although I'm well versed in 5e by now.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: June 04, 2020, 08:57:41 PM »
Kingdoms of Amalur is getting a remaster. Comes out August 18. ($40)

Day 1 purchase for me.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #888 on: June 05, 2020, 11:22:41 AM »
I am not familiar with this game at all.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #889 on: June 05, 2020, 12:37:03 PM »
It's probably more famous outside of the game itself because it's the (only) game made by 38 Studios which was owned by Curt Schilling (the MLB player), where they defaulted on a loan from the state of Rhode Island and got sued and filed for bankruptcy.  THQ Nordic bought the rights to the franchise in 2018 when they announced the remaster.  I never played it, but heard it was fairly ambitious for its time and is beloved by many people in the industry I follow. 

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: June 05, 2020, 03:28:07 PM »
It was good. The combat is super fun and the skills/weapons are a treat to use. Playing a mage you feel badass as hell, throwing around meteors and blizzards all willy-nilly, or you can be a fighter and cause earthquakes with your warhammer, or just murder all the things with your dual chakrams, or any number of fun options. The game world is gorgeous but cartoony - it still holds up pretty well 8 years later, but a remaster is super welcome because the textures themselves were pretty weak.

The story is written by R.A. Salvatore and is a pretty fascinating take on fate/destiny and includes a fae race with a neat concept of immortality. The world lore is *deep* and impressive and really draws you in. The factions are interesting as well, if pretty standard (mercenaries/fighters, mages, etc). The voice acting was top notch.

The game's greatest weakness was that it was too big (it was originally meant to be an MMO) and it got too easy by the end, especially if you dived into the crafting skills because you could craft way better shit than you could find. I have hopes that they've tweaked these things under their umbrella of "refined gameplay"... but even if not, it's still a great game.

Highly recommended. Super excited for this version.

Liquid Evil

• THAC0: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: June 06, 2020, 02:43:38 PM »
My kid and I have been playing some Guilty Party on the Wii and some Ghost Blade HD on the PS4. I also need to learn some Blanka tech in SFV since that's clearly his favorite character. I thought I raised him better than that, but it is what it is...  :)

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: June 08, 2020, 11:28:17 AM »
In DDOS2 I am a bit struggling.  I really have to becareful where I venture as I am finding a lot of fights that are above my party's level.  Not sure how I am able to know where I should go first, but I am losing a bit of time trying different areas out.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: June 10, 2020, 10:46:17 AM »
I basically spent my last gaming session working on the builds for my team.  I was a little all over the place and needed to get organized.  At this point, after an hour of just working on this, I would say that I am about 90% there.  The hot bar (action skill bar) on the PS4 gets disorganized really quickly also.  After the streamlining of builds those bars are a mess.  Unlike the PC game the PS4 takes a lot of tedious work to get things straight.

My party:
Sebille - Ranger/Huntsman/Scoundrel/Polymorph
Fane - Wizard/Lightning/Necro
Ifane - Two Handed Warrior/Geomancer
Lohse - Cleric/Water/Summoner/Warfare One Handed

I think the game would be very different if I started over now.  Steep learning curve, and I feel I have much more to learn still.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: June 11, 2020, 10:47:50 AM »
The tweaks are starting to pay off.  Sebille in particular has become a DPS machine.  In the last couple of fights she has taken out as many as three enemies in the first attack.  The other three still need work but Lohse is starting to improve as well.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: June 11, 2020, 07:52:55 PM »
Some pretty big announcements during the PS5 Event today.  Spiderman: Miles Morales, Horizon: Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, Resident Evil 8: Village, Demon's Souls remake, and a whole bunch of new games.  No price or exact date for the console yet I think, though they did show off the physical unit (upright design). 

Dust

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: June 11, 2020, 08:20:28 PM »
Any more news on the rumour of a Bloodborne port to PC?

More than a little excited if it's true

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #897 on: June 12, 2020, 06:22:06 AM »
That might still be happening, but that's not something they would announce during the "Official PS5 Reveal Event".  Didn't see any update on Elden Ring, From Software's next big project, and with Bluepoint doing the Demon's Souls remaster it may be a little while before BB comes to PC, but it would probably happen right before PS5-exclusive BB2 happens.

Other PS5 games I forgot:
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
Project Athia (Square Enix Luminous Studios)
Oddworld: Soulstorm
Stray
Little Devil Inside
Hitman 3
Kena: Bridge of Spirits
Returnal
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Bugsnax
Jett: The Far Shore
Solar Ash
Goodbye Volcano High

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: June 12, 2020, 10:34:46 AM »
I will have to check this out in greater detail later.  I have never been a day 1 buyer of new consoles.  I generally wait for the redesign and price lowering.

Of the names I know Horizon is the game that most intrigues me.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: June 12, 2020, 03:02:31 PM »
I will hold out for the eventual PC release of Horizon 2. :D

Stray looks amazing, but also will wait for PC release (it already has a Steam store page up).

Nothing else interests me enough to buy another console to collect dust next to the other 2 that never get used...