Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 53860 times)

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #810 on: March 29, 2020, 10:16:51 AM »
I started playing Book of Demons.  It's a weird mashup of Diablo but where all your powers are determined by cards rather than gear.  I highly recommend it for fans of the original Diablo since there is a lot of nostalgia in it!

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: March 29, 2020, 12:34:31 PM »
Yeah, Book of Demons is pretty neat.

maxbeedo

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 29, 2020, 05:22:28 PM »
Monster Hunter World reenabled all their event quests for everyone for 2 weeks, so catching up on some I missed and trying to get closer to the all-crown trophies.  2 variants were added last week, with Raging Brachydios being the more relevant and definitely the more fun of the two to fight.

Started playing The Surge, which was free on PS+ a while back.  It's basically a Souls game (stamina depleting on attacks/dodges, rests respawn all enemies, drop your currency when you die, etc.) except with a techy theme.  Everyone's wearing a robotic skeletal rig, and you can target specific body parts to try to chop it off and gain that item or the schematics of it.  Only reason I had the notion of playing it was from watching a random Digital Foundry video about the best innovations in games back in 2017, and this was on their list because it's a big action RPG that is fairly good looking that only takes up like 6GB of space.  The load times are very short even on my regular PS4, which is nice.

Liquid Evil

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: April 02, 2020, 08:07:51 PM »
Beat Sky Force Anniversary. We don't have full stars on every single level, but we did pretty well. It's a fun little shmup and a lot more accessible than most of those bullet hell ones. It was a good time. Oh, and my kid and I are still on our Mega Man X kick and we've beat the first three games and now we're about halfway through the fourth. Man, the music is so good in this series. Since he seems to enjoy those platforming sections in MMX, I decided to boot up some Super Meat Boy. We've been playing that sort of casually, just knocking out a few stages here and there, but his reactions are priceless.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 02, 2020, 08:56:58 PM »
Resident Evil 3 tomorrow! I'm hyped. I loved the RE2 remake so much.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: April 03, 2020, 09:33:32 PM »
RE3 is good. Very good.

But intense. Oh my.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 07, 2020, 04:23:43 PM »
Finished The Surge.  Relatively short for a souls clone, with one area reused several times.  Story is both incredibly stereotypical for near-future sci-fiand also lacking any payoff or explanation.  A little janky, but it does have some improvements over most souls games (some of these were in their previous game, Lords of the Fallen), such as an XP multiplier based on the number of enemies you defeat without resting, being able to skip upgrade tiers if you have the higher materials, making blocking cost stamina to initiate (not just when attacked) but also letting it cancel you out of other animations ("Oh crap! *block*), a distance indicator for how far away your dropped scrap is after death, and a timer to retrieve your scrap that extends with each kill (and if you retrieve your scrap with 2x the standard time left, it multiplies what you pick up).  As mentioned, it's also somewhat of a technical marvel, given how small the game files are and how fast it loads for this type of game.  Don't know if I'd be interested in The Surge 2 (which came out a while ago), but got some enjoyment out of this one.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: April 07, 2020, 05:50:33 PM »
By all my friends' accounts, The Surge 2 is waaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy better than the first one.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: April 07, 2020, 10:10:52 PM »
I finished RE3. It was good. But RE2 Remake was better.

Kasferatu

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 08, 2020, 05:44:10 AM »
I'm playing Final Fantasy VII Remake and I haven't had this much joy playing a video game in decades. It's evoking such strong memories from school age me.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: April 08, 2020, 06:17:42 AM »
I'm enjoying the hell out of GTA IV with steam achievements.  Just taking my time, picking off things here and there.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: April 11, 2020, 11:52:15 PM »
I have to wait until Monday or Tuesday for my physical copy of FF7R since shipping was delayed.  Avoiding all spoilers... even though I already know the story.

Kasferatu

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: April 12, 2020, 11:57:55 AM »
At this point can't see how FF7R won't be my GOTY. Absolutely loving it did far. Gonna be a difficult wait for the next part.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: April 14, 2020, 09:11:50 PM »
So from what I've been told today (having never played FF7 or its remake) they cut 2/3 of the story out of the remake and padded the rest and sold it for $60, with plans to sell the other 2/3 of it later in $60 increments, too.

Peter Jackson School of Game Development?

Wild. LOL

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: April 15, 2020, 12:01:11 AM »
You aren't wrong.  A lot of this hype depends on how much you already liked FF7.  In my case, I liked it a lot.  It's not my favorite FF, but I did play it when it was new, and unlike a lot of remakes these characters have stuck around in relevancy through other means for a long time, from Advent Children, the PS3 tech demo, Dirge of Cerberus, the Dissidia series, Kingdom Hearts, etc., so it's nice to have any excuse to hang out with them except now with even better VO and cutscene direction, but the game isn't THAT much more than that.  It'll be interesting to see the public judgment of this game after the hype dies down, given that it also has a lot of problems that people hated in other FF games, like super super long linear hallways, fetch quests, no fast travel, little control of your character between cutscenes, etc.  Even though I love action combat, I'm actually not a fan of how they've implemented it in a lot of ways, as there are way too many enemies that have unblockable/uncounterable/undodgeable moves that make no sense that they are (why have a block or dodge button if they're almost always useless?).  We'll see how satisfied I am with the story expansion by the end.