Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 46367 times)

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #270 on: July 16, 2018, 10:58:25 AM »
Leveling up your steam profile gives you more showcases and allows you to have more friends. It's actually pretty useful in a stupid sort of way.

I actually have more showcases than I know what to do with now, but it is fun coming up with interesting uses for them!

Darkness

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 17, 2018, 03:01:23 AM »
Have fallen down the rabbit hole that is Starbound.  :(

maxbeedo

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 17, 2018, 03:48:06 PM »
Finally got around to replaying Bloodborne + DLC since I hadn't played Old Hunters.  Waited until the very end game to start it, which helped a lot with the advertised extreme difficulty.  Only 1 death to Orphan of Kos while I learned the parry timing, otherwise all first-time kills.  Unfortunately, I screwed up and was "going too fast" and missed the cutoff for getting the Holy Moonlight Sword from Ludwig's corpse, so I have to go through half of NG+ to get the last trophy for getting all weapons (luckily Ludwig is the first boss in the DLC).

Kasferatu

• Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 17, 2018, 03:52:36 PM »
I'm waaay down the Slay the Spire hole.

Godji

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 18, 2018, 07:06:55 AM »
I'w way down the Binding of Isaac's h... no, not falling for that one.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 19, 2018, 08:35:16 PM »
Speaking of Rabbit Holes ..

I've been watching a few videos of Doom (90s Doom) recently and I remembered I hadn't gone back to the 9 level mission "No Rest for the Living" which came with the BFG edition.  I'd had a blind playthrough in late 2012.  I died a LOT back then.  I got ambushed but had a great time and eventually won.  This time I went back and played through the levels to the best of my ability, then looked up a guide for the missing monsters and MANY missing secrets.

Also this meant last time I saw the powerful weapons teased but couldn't get them to later levels.  Now I've been better equipped, but reaching whole areas of tough baddies I missed in the past, including the secret level which was a whole new challenge.

2 levels to go.. Then I'll try going back to the last of the Master Levels which I rage quit on a few years back.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 09:24:02 PM by Timinator »

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 19, 2018, 11:01:40 PM »
Relevant

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 28, 2018, 12:14:45 AM »
After finishing Bloodborne again, I realized that I had never once built a character to use the Moonlight Greatsword in any souls game, even though I've beaten all of them 4+ times (they tend to need high strength and magic/arcane which is just not a combo I've done).  So I started a new character and rushed to Ludwig as fast as I could.  Yep, it was worth it, if only for the transform animation.

Only thing I'm debating is whether or not I want to deal with the Defiled Chalice again in order to get to the last dungeon to farm for the best gems and runes.  As cool as the sword is, it doesn't save me from being one-shot by almost everything in there.

Lego

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 28, 2018, 01:18:21 PM »
Got Zelda and Mega Man collection for the Switch for my birthday. Looking forward to playing them. Still in the middle of a Mass Effect playthrough. Just been a busy week  :o

Liquid Evil

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 29, 2018, 08:38:00 PM »
Played 88 Heroes (a platformer with 88 different heroes and 88 seconds to complete each of its 88 levels...) with a group of friends where we alternated the controller at each death. The new guy gets a new, random hero and a shot at completing the level before passing it on to the next guy. Great social game. I doubt I'd play it alone though.

I also played Street Fighter V at a Red Bull Conquest tournament this weekend. It was my first "real" tournament with 50+ participants. I ended up going out 3-2 (I think tying for 17th place with a half dozen other guys), but my losses weren't blowouts where my opponent was substantially better, so that was reassuring and I felt I was "hanging in there" with some of the area's better dudes. That said, there were some real killers there and after I was eliminated, I practiced with a Diamond FANG player to get some insight into that matchup, and that was a pretty good time.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 29, 2018, 10:37:02 PM »
This sounds like clickbait, but the #1 on this top 10 might sound familiar ;)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqU7X3rOacg&

I happened to have been watching a few of this guys videos, but hadn't run into that one at the time.  I was also looking back into a few speedrun things, then found some of my previous work on other people's youtube channels.  Some gave me credit by name, some didn't.  One had almost 7000 views for something pretty abstract.  I then found talk about someone wanting to beat my time as it was unoptimised and talking about a video.

So possibly 90 000 people have seen something I did about 17 years ago that I thought would be long forgotten.  The internet can be strange at times :P 

Also its not the oldest. The website they looked at is missing some older ones.

Sssith

• Cookies: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 30, 2018, 12:13:50 AM »
I always knew you were crazy.

Still nicely done having the record.

I never did get the joy of speed runs as i prefer playing the opposite way.    How come you don't have the records for Serious Sam?  Get to it slacker.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 30, 2018, 02:41:03 PM »
Mr. World Record Holder notice me senpai ;).  I bet the culture of speedrunning has changed a whole bunch since then.  Now everyone wants to get a world record in something, so it's kinda surprising no one has taken it from you yet.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 30, 2018, 07:54:34 PM »
I just went to Urban Dictionary and learnt a new term!

Now my dilemma, do I follow the meme and do some ignoring?

However yes I'd say speedrunning has changed a whole bunch.  I'm sure each community has run their games for as long as they can, and have compared highlights, but from the mid 2000s, various sites have allowed gaming on any and all plaforms to contribute together.  Not being fractured has let things grow and helped the Awesome Games Done Quick and others take off.  I just see the Europeans have their own events too!

When it was just the Quake community only, you I knew ALL the regular names, talked to most of them.  The minute it expanded, there were 98% of games I'd never heard of, people I'd never heard of and types of goals that were different.  It was great to browse other games I knew. At times you'd take a punt on something else, but it generally helps to understand a bit about the game to get any context.   Eg why are they running backwards? It makes it hard to see things.  Why are they running into a wall, now through the wall?  How hard was that?  However if you know that they have just skipped a level, or skipped 30 minutes, then your mouth drops to the floor.

Sssith, this is normally for people who are a bit OCD, they have already played the game (and unlike you, they won't just move on to the next), they try to optimise things, eg, how fast can I get to the end, what can I skip out?   Sometimes things are found by accident! 

Some of the speedrunners only really play one game ever .. but of course there are all types out there.

Sssith

• Cookies: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 06, 2018, 10:29:08 AM »
I am back playing Borderlands 2. I started a siren and I have completed the first play through and right now I have her in Tiny Tina's DLC. 

It is odd that you complete the first play through without getting to the bottom of a tree.  Still it is a fun 'RPG' and loot finding game.  There are times I get frustrated with the backtracking that this game makes you do, but all in all a very fun FPS.

I really hope they do something interesting with BL3.  Not sure why but I have no real interest in the Prequel.