Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 36970 times)

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #240 on: May 23, 2018, 03:45:36 PM »
I found Xillia to be excellent. I never did get around to playing the second.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 23, 2018, 04:38:44 PM »
So you are saying that I should look into the second but skip the first?

There's no real reason to play the first at this point. They're not sequels in any meaningful way. No shared places, characters, etc.

Next up: Tales of Berseria

I'm so sorry.

My expectations aren't high.  I played Tales of Xillia 1 and 2 and they had surprisingly strong character development (like, some of the best in any game).  If Berseria has the same, it'll at least be a welcome change from MHW that has 0 story or character development. 

Berseria has a few interesting characters, one awesome one, and a couple annoying ones. Overall, the characters are good, though, and the story is reasonable (as jrpgs go). It dives headfirst into a pile of melodrama that it never emerges from. But its worst transgression is how far it outstays its welcome. The combat/mechanics are not interesting in any way and it just gets SO TIRESOME, even if you crank it down to easy/casual so you can just blow through it. And the back-and-forth across the map gets old. It's a few nuggets of good wrapped with hours of tedious filler.

Basically, it would be ten times better if it were 25% of the length.

Magilou, however, is still one of my favorite characters from any game ever.

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 27, 2018, 08:21:24 PM »
Magilou, however, is still one of my favorite characters from any game ever.

I literally just met her, and I'm like "Yeah, I know that voice."  Erica Lindbeck.  She's in pretty much every game I've played recently.  Futaba in Persona 5, Menat in Street Fighter V, the handler in Monster Hunter World.  She certainly knows how to bring adorable energy to a character.

Liquid Evil

• Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 29, 2018, 03:39:08 PM »
Finished a playthrough of Thimbleweed Park. It was an interesting point-and-click style adventure game. It was just okay. The ending got weird and meta, and it just sort of fizzled out for me.

Also we've got SFV releasing a new costume for Vega finally (I think the last one was Halloween 2016). Capcom took about zero risks in the design, but I'm still grabbing it up. When they'll finally release his nostalgia costume, we may never know.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 04, 2018, 04:55:12 AM »
Finished Tales of Berseria.  Kinda meh.  Very predictable, not much changes from beginning to end.  They try very hard to make you like every character, but unlike Xillia I think they failed in some cases.  The premise was not as strong, and I don't think even with the conversations unlocked after beating the game explaining more of Artorias' background that he is ever that interesting or sympathetic.  I don't necessarily mind some backtracking in games, but I think the biggest problem is that most areas are like 5x bigger than they need to be, and the fast travel stuff isn't unlocked until way later.  When you first unlock your "base", it takes almost 90 seconds of running to get from the harbor to the "inn" to sleep.  It takes over 5 minutes of just running to traverse most dungeons after clearing them.  The "Back to the Future 2 Hoverboard" you unlock only speeds you up maybe 25%, although the ability to essentially ignore encounters helped a lot. 

A few other issues:
The subtitles are consistently wrong, like at least every other sentence is either misspelled or missing several words of what they actually said (and this is English voice + English subtitles).
Because of the way status effects remove your "soul" action pool, and almost every enemy from about an hour in onward will automatically stun and/or hit you with status effects on THE FIRST HIT, the only way to get through the game in a timely manner is to abuse Velvet's Break Soul ability over and over and over since it makes you immune and unstaggerable (playing any other character usually ends up with me getting stunned on any stray hit and then gang-stomped to death in <2 seconds, at least until later in the game).
The Xillia cameo went on for way too long.  And they spent way too much of the dialogue trying to justify a reason for them to be there instead of just having fun with the mashup.
I had only unlocked maybe 5 trophies out of 51 when I was ready to go to the final dungeon.  10-15 can be unlocked very quickly thereafter as the game shoves all of its "sidequests" in at the end.  The rest are grindy as hell.  I've earned 2.3 millon "gald", but need 20 million for the trophy.  I've earned 13000 out of 200000 Tales Coins, used about 30-70 Mystic Artes per character out of the 250 needed, level 77 out of 200, 6000 out of 11800 collectable "Katz souls", etc..  A second playthrough with some accelerators can help, but there's no other reason to play NG+ other than trophy grinding.
The antagonists were not interesting. 
Most of the PCs try way too hard to be simultaneously caring/uncaring, or doubtful/self-assured, without much reason to swap between them.  They tend to be a little too objective about their own feelings, and commentate "well, I might care or not care about this, depending on the situation, that's what being a human is all about", way too early in the game, and way too often.  Self-awareness is a good trait but introduced too early (especially with Rokorou) robs them of any emotional growth. 
Almost all of the mini-games are garbage.

The good:
As usual for a Tales game, the characters are written as "normal people".  They mostly behave, react, and talk like as you'd expect out of rational people.  They brood, they crack jokes, they rationalize scary situations away with humor, they try to console each other, the good guys have done bad things, the bad guys have done good things, etc. It makes it really hard to hate any of them.
Eleanor is a top-tier waifu.  She's the best kind of Lawful Good Paladin/Team Mom.  Every time Velvet got into an argument with her it just made Velvet look worse and Eleanor look better, since Velvet seemed to just hate her for no reason while Eleanor was usually friendly, non-judgmental, or generally looked to blame herself before blaming others.
Magilou is the contrarian of the group, and that usually means she stands out as the one super emotional character since everyone else is fairly even-keeled (and the voice of reason when they start going crazy), and the VA's performance destroys everyone else's.

Sssith

• Cookies: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 04, 2018, 11:09:50 AM »
Finished replaying Tomb Raider.  I enjoy this style of game and I will probably play through Rise one more time before the new game comes out.

Not sure what I am going to play now.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 07, 2018, 12:26:43 PM »
I have finished playing Walking Dead: Michonne.  I was under the impression that people thought it wasn't a very good game.  All I can say is that I liked it.  It is short and pretty damn vicious, and maybe that is why people didn't like it.  I thought it offered up some tough decisions and was pretty unforgiving.  Overall I thought the game had a story that was worth seeing.

At this point I am thinking of giving Witcher 1 a play through.  I have heard it said that it is not worth playing.  That I should just read the story online.  I would like to give it a try so I can get into the spirit of the game.  I want to eventually play 2 and 3 and it seems crazy to skip 1.  I might change my tune after 10 hours, we shall see.  I plan on trying to get through it quickly and on easy mode.  Hopefully that will make the game play more bearable.  Any advice that people have would be appreciated.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 07, 2018, 12:45:15 PM »
The Witcher 1 and 2 have not aged well when it comes to "playing" them, but your choices do actually matter within those games in changing what you play, so watching a playthrough doesn't give the same experience unless it covers every option.  Even though your choices matter within each game, your choices absolutely do not matter between games (unlike Mass Effect/Dragon Age).  1 does not have much to do with 2 or 3, although the arc of a particular character mirrors an important one in 3 (and one of the romance options reappears in a DLC in 3).  There are definitely points in which you must do a specific thing at a specific place or talk to a specific person and pick a specific dialogue option in order for a quest to progress (like many older RPGs), so use a guide if needed to avoid frustration.  I played them on Easy mode as well, because the combat felt clunky as hell.  I played 1 and 2, then read 5 of the books, then played 3, which turned out to be a pretty good order since 3 is tied heavily to the book series (the games take place chronologically after the books).

Kasferatu

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 07, 2018, 01:22:59 PM »
I mostly agree with the above, but your choices in W2 do have an impact in W3 in that different side quests and such are available.  In the grand scheme of the plot though, no those choices don't matter (I think).

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 07, 2018, 02:00:50 PM »
Good to know.  Is there a build that will make the play through easier?

I will have to see if I can get the books cheaply.

Kasferatu

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 07, 2018, 02:46:50 PM »
The books are well worth reading.  I thoroughly enjoyed them and they do add a lot to playing W3.  I don't have much to say on builds though.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 07, 2018, 04:04:29 PM »
Step 1: Don't play Witcher 1. It's awful. Really awful. Even on easy mode it's awful.

Step 2: Play Witcher 2 if you want, but skip it if you're not super enthused because it doesn't really matter either way.

Step 3: Play Witcher 3, which is fantastic.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 09, 2018, 07:53:50 PM »
Holy crap.  Witcher 1 is unplayable.  Even 'enhanced'.  Just walking around is a chore.  Started Witcher 2 and it seems better.  I really want to get into this game but we will see.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 09, 2018, 10:25:16 PM »
I mostly agree with the above, but your choices in W2 do have an impact in W3 in that different side quests and such are available.  In the grand scheme of the plot though, no those choices don't matter (I think).

My biggest problem was that the major choice I made in W2 (the one that affects an entire chapter) was treated 100% as though I'd made the other decision in W3.  None of the characters I met show up in W3, and the people involved in the choice I DIDN'T make were chummy with me even though I dissed them.  There was even DLC added in the Enhanced Edition that added even more quests on the side that I played, so I assumed they would play an important part in W3, but nope.  Probably the only story-related problem I had with W3 overall.

dave in the basement

• Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 10, 2018, 11:45:22 AM »
I have been having a blast with West of Loathing on the ol' Switch as of late.

That'll probably keep me occupied until S14 of D3 fires up on Friday.