Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 8342 times)

Lego

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 10
    • View Profile
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2018, 04:58:59 PM »
Pandora and I went to the theater today. Saw Aquaman and Holmes and Watson. Both meh movies. Nothing spectacular, vaguely entertaining. Aquaman I had a feeling I'd have some antipathy to, but I really expected more from H&W. There are a good 5 laughs in the whole movie.

Sssith

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2018, 09:57:28 AM »
My whole extended family took my mother to see Mary Poppins Returns, and it was a whimsy fest.  I think the original was better but this was a good movie for what it was.  Not something I would have chosen on my own.  It was more of a musical than the original I think (tough to remember).

narsica

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 9
  • Resident angry Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2018, 10:37:55 PM »
Took the kids to see Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse this afternoon.

It was fantastic. I think it's probably the best Spiderman movie (no offense to Tom Holland).
Feel the reckless running of your heart

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2019, 01:24:33 AM »
Once upon a time in the west. From 1968. A Sergio Leone movie. Saw with my dad. Pretty cool.

Melchior

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2019, 09:37:05 PM »
Just finished the last season of Better Call Saul. Very entertaining viewing, fairly slow pace, much akin to Breaking Bad (which is to be expected). Enjoyed seeing the 'backstory' of how Jimmy McGill became Saul Goodman BUT the most interesting character I thought, was Mike. He was the highlight of the show for me and I always looked forward to his scenes. Overall a great show.

To fill the TV show vacuum I started The Wire again. 3rd run through and still love it, hard to beat for a gritty cop drama that also focuses on the character development of the criminals involved.

Watching Orphan Black on Netflix with the wife, which is surprisingly entertaining, despite the kinda ridiculous premise. Good pacing, interesting characters and a catchy plot.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2019, 10:25:37 AM »
Watch Netflix's Bandersnatch and I enjoyed it.  For those of you that don't know it is a choose your own adventure movie that is part of the Black Mirror series.  Worth watching if you like Black Mirror or you are intrigued by a choose your own adventure TV show.  It took around 1:30 to watch.  The creators say there is around 5 hours worth of material to watch if you figure out all the paths.  They believe some parts of it will never be found.  It is weird and at times does not work well but I thought it was a fun experience.  My daughter, with her friends, tried to watch a bunch of different paths.  My wife and I got some that see hadn't seen.

Also watching Travelers on Netflix which I would give a hearty thumbs up to.

Also saw bohemian rhapsody movie which surprised me by how much I enjoyed it.  I think the actors where excellent in that movie.  They played fast and loose with facts which is why I don't generally like bio-pics.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2019, 02:33:53 PM »
Aquaman: I basically didn't know anything about it.  Jason Momoa is great and the best thing about the movie.  Apparently some bits like Black Manta fit the old stuff, just looks like something out of 1950s scifi.  I have neutral feelings about it now.

Mary Poppins sequel: I have watched the first a lot recently and this was very dark in comparision.  The kids mum has died (but don't say that).  The house is about to be repossesed and the maid is now just incompetent.  The kids in this one are a lot more mature as they have to in that environment.    Dick Van Dyke definitely the highlight of the movie.  Colin Firth had a good role.   Could have only been made better if after losing Hugh Grant punched him.  Wife complained none of the new songs were memorable.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2019, 10:00:10 AM »
Han Solo movie is now available on Netflix and I finally got a chance to watch it.  I missed out when it came out in the theaters because I was incredibly busy, but I heard the negative press.  So I went into the movie expecting something that was not good.  The first ten minutes seemed to live up to that billing.  But from that point on the movie got better and better.  Sure there were a couple of flaws but this was one hell of a fun movie and I thought the interplay between the characters was great.  I do not get why this was not more popular.  I thought the guy playing Han did a good job of fitting the roll.  Chewy was awesome and Lando was perfect.  More over I thought the built up his scoundrel person really well.  I think it is kind of a pity that this wasn't well received.  Makes me wonder if it is even possible to make a Star Wars movie that won't disappoint a segment of that fan base. 

syn

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 9
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2019, 12:45:12 PM »
watched the new watership down series on netflix with my 8 year old. she loved it but was devastated by the ending (i'd forgotten about the epilogue, oops). however, she's already watched it a second time and is excited about reading the book.

edit: i thought it was good too, but had a hard time shaking the hazel/woundwort = rick/negan feeling.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 12:47:54 PM by syn »
Buttigieg on Trump: "It is the nature of grotesque things that you can't look away."  5/19/19

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2019, 11:25:42 AM »
Currently watching Colony on Netflix (it is a USA Network show).  I don't really recommend it though I am enjoying it.  In the show aliens have taken control of the world and have divided up world into colonies.  They have magically built these huge ass walls to control things.

Everytime I see the wall in the show I imagine Trump muttering to himself, 'what a beautiful wall...see it works...so easy...the aliens did why can't we...uggghh...' 

mn4nu

• THAC0: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2019, 12:50:50 PM »
Everytime I see the wall in the show I imagine Trump muttering to himself, 'what a beautiful wall...see it works...so easy...the aliens did why can't we...uggghh...' 
LOL!  I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned it publicly already.  Just about everything he says is stupid, so it would just be par for the course.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:53:15 PM by mn4nu »

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2019, 04:55:16 PM »
Dat's a biggum wall, holey sheet.

mn4nu

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2019, 05:04:35 PM »
$10 billion per mile for that wall

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2019, 05:08:18 PM »
Everytime Trump sees that wall:

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2019, 05:09:40 PM »
Oh...and the best part is that two kids manage to get under the wall in the first season.

;D