Author Topic: Zelda: BotW  (Read 4061 times)

sam_manzanza

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
Zelda: BotW
« on: April 10, 2017, 08:10:21 PM »
It seemed as though the internet had a collective orgasm when it came out, so I went and bought a Switch and a copy of the game and promptly had one myself. Two, actually. My nipples still tingle a little, it's lovely.

Really, really, really good game. Visually it's outstanding, the cel shaded design is really nice and adds to the overall feel of the game. The combat is really fun, just difficult enough that some thought/strategy is required but without the need to grind for gear.

Being able to explore the entire map at your own discretion is cool and kinda crazy. Really smart game design. The puzzles aren't overly hard, which is good because in previous Zelda games I have wanted to break things in frustration.

I guess the whole thing with the Zelda franchise is that it's essentially an adventure puzzle-solving game, with RPG-lite elements to it. I feel like with this game they have taken the RPG elements (loot, basically) about as far as you can, while maintaining the simplicity and style of previous Zelda games.

Easily the best gaming experience I have had since D3 first came out. Anyone else playing? Or thinking about getting it?

Just briefly on the Switch, it's a fucking cool design and both docked and un-docked it works really well. Technically it's a bit limited compared to the PS4, but flashy graphics don't matter a whole lot to me, so that's not a major for me. What does concern me though is the lack of any decent games for it. I know it has just launched, but shit, other than Zelda it's a wasteland of glorified mobile phone games. Mario Kart is coming soon and there's a Skyrim port as well (plus a re-make of Wonderboy 3 - The Dragon's Trap, which is like nostaliga++ for me), but other than that it looks pretty grim.

I essentially bought it just to play Zelda anyway, and given the size of the game I am going to get my moneys worth even if I don't play a single other game, but some other options would be nice...

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda: BotW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 01:54:12 AM »
Was tempted to grab a switch for it myself but I'm holding out for a slightly larger catalogue. In hoping in the mean time the price comes down a touch and/Or they resolve some of the small technical issues.

nanenj

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 06:21:36 AM »
I definitely had a thought.  Unfortunately, though, just a thought.

Console gaming, while i've said before, isn't an outright no for me, it just doesn't do a lot to entice me.

So, unless Nintendo suddenly opens it's platform and decides to release Zelda for the PC, chances are I'll never touch it.

sam_manzanza

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 07:31:59 PM »
Was tempted to grab a switch for it myself but I'm holding out for a slightly larger catalogue. In hoping in the mean time the price comes down a touch and/Or they resolve some of the small technical issues.
Probably a good call. I will say that the Switch+Zelda pricetag is worth it just to play Zelda. It's amazing.

Dust

• Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 05:15:36 AM »
(plus a re-make of Wonderboy 3 - The Dragon's Trap

Wait, what?

That game... I still hear the music in my head sometimes...

Ray Patean

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 08:34:46 AM »
I have this on the Wii U, and am absolutely loving it. Not very far, story-wise, but I've been so busy just wandering and exploring. It's been a blast!

Godji

• Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 08:37:45 AM »
Sorry to keep derailing the topic, but the Wonderboy 3 remake is going to be released on just about every platform since it seemed to interest at least Dust. The Steam page is up already among other platforms.

SideSBob

• Cookies: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 07:06:41 AM »
I have this on the Wii U, and am absolutely loving it. Not very far, story-wise, but I've been so busy just wandering and exploring. It's been a blast!

This is where my oldest son is at with Zelda BotW too.  It is such a cool game visually that
I spend time just watching him play it.

We still have yet to find an available Switch in stores here.

Dust

• Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 02:35:54 AM »
Sorry to keep derailing the topic, but the Wonderboy 3 remake is going to be released on just about every platform since it seemed to interest at least Dust. The Steam page is up already among other platforms.

Sweet Zombie Christmas! Your choice of updated or original graphics and updated or original audio? So pretty!

sam_manzanza

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 07:27:08 PM »

Sweet Zombie Christmas! Your choice of updated or original graphics and updated or original audio? So pretty!
I think I buried the lede on this thread...  I saw the trailer for the WB3 remake and then an hour later went and got a Switch...

It looks amazing. It's always funny to me how these games that seemed like massive, endless adventures as a kid, are really only about 10 hours long.

For those wondering, it's out now.

Edit: Some guy is streaming it on Twitch right now and dear god, it looks like so much fun.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:48:14 PM by sam_manzanza »