Author Topic: So I fired up D2 again  (Read 2149 times)

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 11
    • View Profile
Re: So I fired up D2 again
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2018, 08:10:08 PM »
Of course this forum is much quieter in D2 than 10 years or more ago, but as Ssssith said, we know this and dealt with it.  The SPF mainly views things as the last vestage of humanity stoping a zombie virus from killing off the last humans.

Some of the previous mods left without a goodbye (Hrus, Cattleya).  In the vacuum, Thyiad got the job.  Overall for a long time she did a pretty good job, there were some things I didn't personally agree with, but these things happen.  However in more recent times its gotten out of control.

She appeared to go a bit postal, and it appeared she had left forever.  There was a lot of shock, but also HOPE.  Hope that other mods who viewed and posted could do a few things. that CHANGE might be able to come by what the users want to do, what they want to talk about.  5 months later she is back, the Iron fist comes down and a big can of NOPE is opened up.

We learnt somewhere along the line she had been having a real rough time in real life and certain people had been working to kill her reputation online.  Naturally she was not in a good place.  Now these are horrible things and no one wants to go through this, or see anyone go through it.  Its not always obvious this is the reason behind people's behaviour online.

Back to stuff that happens in game, and as people learn more about doing stuff in game, and how that works.  People were finding new/exciting things!  They wanted to be able to talk about it, have screenshots, guides etc.  Thyiad on the other side didn't have time/energy to game and wasn't really in the mood for it.  It must have seemed like a lot of "this is why you can't have nice things"

For 5 months it appears the SPF was turning a corner, that there could be some consensus based discussion about why people choose to spend their free time on a hobby.  Instead it was basically, follow these rules or GTFO, and if you GTFO, there is NO where that will survive, or is a decent place.

Here are some examples:
Don't mention voldemort! https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/a-reminder-about-non-fam-mods.960596/

Straws breaking the camels back:
https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/pre-lod-trading-no-longer-accepted.950867/

Basically a "screw you guys, I'm leaving"
https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/not-the-spf-i-knew.950868/ 
That particular nugget of a locked thread spawned a different thread https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/the-spf-i-know.952249/  I got really annoyed that it was a very subjective view on how things were, and the only way to do things correctly.

These days Maxicek is now a mod, doing a fine job, is active, playing and contributing.  But the rules/right way to do things is still an issue for many.

TheNix

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2018, 07:14:24 PM »
Great summary Tim. 

Do you know that the use of the -seed command has been outlawed at the SPF?  The funny thing was that when you looked at the SPF survey results (https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/spf-reform-survey.960392/) this is the only section where the recommendation was accepted, the rest just blew away like a morning mist.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:17:08 PM by TheNix »

D2Addict

• Cookies: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2018, 08:30:56 PM »
I couldn't ignore a D2 post. :) I happened to be messing a bit in 1.09 again recently. I never uninstalled it from an old computer. I still have ATMA and my stashes.

mn4nu

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2018, 07:38:49 AM »
Nice to see you around here D2A!

I found a HoZ yesterday, so my smiter has a nice shield now.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:40:28 AM by mn4nu »

TheNix

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2018, 06:47:50 PM »
Hi D2A.  Over the last five years or so I've taken short excursions into Diablo 3, Path of Exile and Grim Dawn but I haven't lost my passion for D2; 70 mat/pats and still going strong!

D2Addict

• Cookies: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2018, 07:42:21 PM »
Hi D2A.  Over the last five years or so I've taken short excursions into Diablo 3, Path of Exile and Grim Dawn but I haven't lost my passion for D2; 70 mat/pats and still going strong!
Good to see you both too. Maybe a MP game some day for old times sake? I am definitely out of practice.

TheNix

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2018, 07:11:48 PM »
Good to see you both too. Maybe a MP game some day for old times sake? I am definitely out of practice.

I'll have to dig up my 1.09 characters and stashes.  I've not seen them for a while, but there on a flash-drive somewhere!

maxbeedo

• Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2018, 10:13:44 PM »
I believe if I remember right, I did 8 patriarchs on 1.09, then 1 on 1.10, then quit D2 somewhere around 2008 or 2009.  After reinstalling the game last month having not had much else to play, I finally got another one:

Patriarch Strongjaw
Level 86
Strength 187 (238)
Dexterity 55 (100)
Vitality 258
Energy 10
HP: 1436 (2929)
Resists: 33/57/32/26
Defense: 15376 (with Merc and Shout, Concentrate boosts it more)
Skills: 20 Mace Mastery, 20 Whirlwind, 20 Battle Orders, 10 in Concentrate, 5 in Shout, 4 in Natural Resistance, 1 in various others
Gear: IK Maul (2 Shaels), IK Helm (2 PTopazs), IK Gloves, IK Belt, IK Boots, Steel Carapace, Dwarf Star, Safety Amulet (+1 Barb skills, all resist +13), Blood Ring (7% LL, +Life, 28 Poison Res), 2x 2-Shaeled Ali Babas on switch (for finishing bosses and for "hoark"ing)

Merc: Defiance - Pierre Tombale Couant, Guillame's Face, Skin of the Flayed One

My Paladin and Sorceress got to Hell first and did most of the farming for a while, but the Barb was just much tankier and got through the tougher parts of Act 5 much easier.  It's really all about the enemy spawns.  Just now I figured I'd see what the WSK had for me, and not only did it not have any Burning Souls, it had mostly Flayers which come in huge packs that can't really damage me due to the high base-DR from Steel Carapace and provide a huge amount of bodies to hoark (nothing good this run though besides a 5-socket Thresher, my MF has been relatively low throughout so I already have 4, 5, and 6 socket polearms, crystal swords, phase blades, etc., but no runes to make runewords with).  A WW Barb is also pretty awesome for getting through the ice caves which can be extremely hard in Hell, because there usually at least 2 of the 3 types of monsters do Cold damage, which slows down the WW movement but not the attack speed, letting me hit enemies several times more.  I've been doing various runs with him, focusing on the Ancient Tunnels mostly, finding decent stuff now and then (found a Tal Rasha's armor and a Stoneraven today).

On a related note, I've been watching more Youtubers and streamers that play Diablo 2 (it seems to have been getting a lot more popular lately), and they pretty much all run PlugY.  While the shared stash and summed up stat listing (tells you how much MF/FCR/FHR you have total so you don't have to do math manually) are generally fine, I kinda question the not-so-complete Uber quest inclusion that lets people farm for Annihilus charms and Hellfire Torches without much effort and at a much reduced difficulty.  For the sake of your own enjoyment, you can pretty much do whatever you want, but some of the Youtubers put out all sorts of videos showing off their crazy damage on builds that would never work without 10 skill charms plus Hellfire plus Infinity Polearm merc or whatever (plus they use PlugY to instantly respec infinitely, using the same character for every video).  Things get a little shadier when showing off your hacked normally-ladder-only runewords with 20 optimized charms and such as though it was earned and offering that build as an example for new players (who can't use those runewords, or likely won't have that gear for months or years).  I watched about 5 different "Budget Build" videos from 5 different people and all of them included ridiculously rare stuff that I haven't found yet.  I mean, who really cares at this point, though I guess I just remember the integrity we tried to uphold in the SPF days, so people that are actually making money off of generally terrible advice and shadiness bugs me a bit (not all of the Youtubers/streamers are bad though).

mn4nu

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2018, 02:08:56 PM »
About a month ago I found a Sur rune, which allowed me to cube a Ber rune.  I then had the runes to make the Infinity runeword, something I never did before in single player after all my time of playing this game.  I have spent the past month searching for the right base weapon to put it in.  I finally got lucky yesterday.  An unsocketed eth cryptic axe dropped in the ancient tunnels and I used the cube to socket it.  I was very happy that it got 4 sockets.  I've cubed probably 5 or 6 eth weapons (threshers mainly) trying to get 4 sockets, but I was always getting something besides 4.  I made the Infinity and it rolled pretty good with 321% damage mod.  I then cubed my 2 Gul runes into a Vex and made a Heart of the Oak runeword and got 38 reisists on that.  Now I have a decent lightning sorceress going.  I still need to find a 5 socket phase blade to make Grief in for my smiter.  Once I do that I can run the ubers for torches.

I've been playing D2 using the plugY mod for all of this since mid April of this year.  I've finished 1 character for each class.  In about 6 months I've found a lot of good stuff.  Still no hellfire torch yet though, and, surprisingly, I am still missing a number of unique items that I thought I'd have by now (Skulders Ire for one).  Yes, Max is right that the Ubers in PlugY are easier than on battlenet because they don't spawn minions, but I still think it will be fun to do on single player.  I've done it lots of times on Battlenet in the past, but never on SP.  D2 is still fun after all these years.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2018, 04:01:53 PM »
LOL, I haven't found a Skullder's either  :'( ;D . I've been using the GoMule program to track my progress on items (68% of uniques, 84% of set items in about 2 months of play), which has helped quite a bit when I would otherwise waste space on a unique I have 3-4 of already.  A lot of my more recent drops have had terrible rolls on them, like a +1 skills Eschuta's Temper with 10/12 skills damage (rolls 1-3 for skills and 10-20 for damage), +3/3/3 skills on Wolfhowl with 8/8/15 stats (rolls 3-6 on skills, 8-15 on stats), +15 to resists Saracen's Chance (rolls 15-25), etc. 

mn4nu

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2018, 08:32:35 AM »
I got my first single player torch last night!  It rolled +3 to sorceress skills and +16/+11 on stats and resists.  I was pretty happy with it being a sorc torch.  I have enough keys to get 3 more torches, so I will probably do that and hope for a paladin one.

Comparing the whole process of farming keys, getting the organs, and killing the ubers between single player using PlugY and on battlenet, I would have to say that the single player experience is slightly easier.  They are identical except for the uber Tristram fight.  The ubers don't spawn minions in single player, I'm not sure why.  That makes the fight against them a little easier.  When I have done this in the past on battlenet, the minions were more of an annoyance than an actual threat, but their absence does make it easier.

Conversely, the easiest part of the process on battlenet for a smiter (fighting Duriel to get Baal's eye) was the hardest part in single player.  On battlenet, it seemed like Duriel always spawned right next to the portal into his zone.  This meant that you did not have to search the area for him and fight the mobs inhabiting the zone, which made this fight very quick and easy.  This is a big deal because the zone spawns physical immune locust swarms that are a real pain in the ass for a smiter.  In the single player version, Duriel doesn't spawn in the same spot, so you have to search the area for him and deal with all those stupid locusts.  I actually had to give up on my first attempt in this area since I died in a huge swarm of those things, and had no way to get my body back.  I eventually respec'd to add 1 point to both zeal and conviction and use a lightsaber on switch to kill them.  It was a slow process, but it worked.  I am going to try to come up with another plan to deal with the locusts that could speed up the run in this zone.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 08:34:58 AM by mn4nu »

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2018, 02:27:53 PM »
Yeah, at least from what I've read online the Ubers will summon minions with pretty much all immunities (Diablo summoning Pit Lords that are immune to literally everything but physical, Baal summoning Specters and Dark Lords that are immune to physical, etc.), which is why it was intended to require a diverse group of players.  Dealing with the bosses alone is a lot more simple, though it still requires a very strong or specialized build.

I think the game is taunting me for not using PlugY, since I got 3 Lo runes from various places in a 24-hr period after never having seen one in 17 years.  There are only 2 runewords that I can make with them, neither of them that great (well, Doom is decent, but it also requires a Cham), whereas there are 8 ladder-only runewords that use Lo that are ridiculously powerful like Grief, Fortitude, and Pride.  Could cube 2 of them to a Sur, which I might do for a Bramble for my Necro, although I'd have to respec some of his skills towards Poison to make use of that function.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2018, 02:57:36 PM »
There are only 2 runewords that I can make with them, neither of them that great (well, Doom is decent, but it also requires a Cham), whereas there are 8 ladder-only runewords that use Lo that are ridiculously powerful like Grief, Fortitude, and Pride.  Could cube 2 of them to a Sur, which I might do for a Bramble for my Necro, although I'd have to respec some of his skills towards Poison to make use of that function.

You can do all these in SP ..  for some of the most recent ones you needed a small file to enable, eg spirit.   don't let "ladder only" put you off.  Hell even the SPF allows all the runewords

GG Mn4nu!

syn

• Cookies: 7
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2018, 03:14:30 PM »
since I got 3 Lo runes from various places in a 24-hr period after never having seen one in 17 years. 

!!!

RNG god has smiled upon you.
"There is a scene in Star Wars where the heroes are in a trash compactor on the Death Star with the walls closing in. I'm reminded of that this morning, except for perhaps the stuff about the heroes."
Dan Rather 9/14/18

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2018, 04:20:04 PM »
You can do all these in SP ..  for some of the most recent ones you needed a small file to enable, eg spirit.   don't let "ladder only" put you off.  Hell even the SPF allows all the runewords

Although the most common methods would not work for me since I'm on a Mac (which requires version 1.14+ which is what added newer Mac OS support, most of the mods require 1.13 or lower), I probably wouldn't use them anyway.  I haven't needed the crutch, and I'm still surviving and finding items at a decent clip using the game "as is".