Author Topic: So I fired up D2 again  (Read 1688 times)

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 9
    • View Profile
Re: So I fired up D2 again
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2018, 08:10:08 PM »
Of course this forum is much quieter in D2 than 10 years or more ago, but as Ssssith said, we know this and dealt with it.  The SPF mainly views things as the last vestage of humanity stoping a zombie virus from killing off the last humans.

Some of the previous mods left without a goodbye (Hrus, Cattleya).  In the vacuum, Thyiad got the job.  Overall for a long time she did a pretty good job, there were some things I didn't personally agree with, but these things happen.  However in more recent times its gotten out of control.

She appeared to go a bit postal, and it appeared she had left forever.  There was a lot of shock, but also HOPE.  Hope that other mods who viewed and posted could do a few things. that CHANGE might be able to come by what the users want to do, what they want to talk about.  5 months later she is back, the Iron fist comes down and a big can of NOPE is opened up.

We learnt somewhere along the line she had been having a real rough time in real life and certain people had been working to kill her reputation online.  Naturally she was not in a good place.  Now these are horrible things and no one wants to go through this, or see anyone go through it.  Its not always obvious this is the reason behind people's behaviour online.

Back to stuff that happens in game, and as people learn more about doing stuff in game, and how that works.  People were finding new/exciting things!  They wanted to be able to talk about it, have screenshots, guides etc.  Thyiad on the other side didn't have time/energy to game and wasn't really in the mood for it.  It must have seemed like a lot of "this is why you can't have nice things"

For 5 months it appears the SPF was turning a corner, that there could be some consensus based discussion about why people choose to spend their free time on a hobby.  Instead it was basically, follow these rules or GTFO, and if you GTFO, there is NO where that will survive, or is a decent place.

Here are some examples:
Don't mention voldemort! https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/a-reminder-about-non-fam-mods.960596/

Straws breaking the camels back:
https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/pre-lod-trading-no-longer-accepted.950867/

Basically a "screw you guys, I'm leaving"
https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/not-the-spf-i-knew.950868/ 
That particular nugget of a locked thread spawned a different thread https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/the-spf-i-know.952249/  I got really annoyed that it was a very subjective view on how things were, and the only way to do things correctly.

These days Maxicek is now a mod, doing a fine job, is active, playing and contributing.  But the rules/right way to do things is still an issue for many.

TheNix

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2018, 07:14:24 PM »
Great summary Tim. 

Do you know that the use of the -seed command has been outlawed at the SPF?  The funny thing was that when you looked at the SPF survey results (https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/spf-reform-survey.960392/) this is the only section where the recommendation was accepted, the rest just blew away like a morning mist.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:17:08 PM by TheNix »

D2Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2018, 08:30:56 PM »
I couldn't ignore a D2 post. :) I happened to be messing a bit in 1.09 again recently. I never uninstalled it from an old computer. I still have ATMA and my stashes.

mn4nu

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2018, 07:38:49 AM »
Nice to see you around here D2A!

I found a HoZ yesterday, so my smiter has a nice shield now.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:40:28 AM by mn4nu »

TheNix

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2018, 06:47:50 PM »
Hi D2A.  Over the last five years or so I've taken short excursions into Diablo 3, Path of Exile and Grim Dawn but I haven't lost my passion for D2; 70 mat/pats and still going strong!

D2Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2018, 07:42:21 PM »
Hi D2A.  Over the last five years or so I've taken short excursions into Diablo 3, Path of Exile and Grim Dawn but I haven't lost my passion for D2; 70 mat/pats and still going strong!
Good to see you both too. Maybe a MP game some day for old times sake? I am definitely out of practice.

TheNix

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2018, 07:11:48 PM »
Good to see you both too. Maybe a MP game some day for old times sake? I am definitely out of practice.

I'll have to dig up my 1.09 characters and stashes.  I've not seen them for a while, but there on a flash-drive somewhere!