Author Topic: So I fired up D2 again  (Read 7149 times)

mn4nu

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
Re: So I fired up D2 again
« Reply #165 on: March 27, 2019, 04:36:18 PM »
Excellent summary Max.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 27, 2019, 05:29:39 PM »
From 1.09 to 1.1X there were a bunch of changes, but all very different to Diablo3.

the newest patches are great for the rune drops.  In 1.09 I'd never seen Um or above.   Now I've seen Ber and below as drops. 

Remember D3 would with loot 2.0, if you were a barb, you basically never got a wizard/DH items to drop.  In any Diablo2 player, it doesn't care about class specifics and will drop what it wants.
D3 also had the shards later so you could gamble and it was a matter of time before you got the item you want. 
D2 (any patch) you could spend months or years and never see the 1 item you want.
"Magic find" basically doesn't exist in D3, at least as a stat.  If you haven't seen something in an hour or something legendary WILL drop.  but when you high level you'll see a tonne of shiny items.  Compare this to D2 (any patch) when you could play a lot and potentially not get anything, or at least the things you desire.

All things considered I haven't actively played D3 in quite some time.  I want to get back to D2 when time permits.

Darkness

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 28, 2019, 05:34:10 AM »
Max that is an excellent summary, thank you.

My current plan is to primarily play 1.09 until I have a suitable collection of items and then transition a character or two over to 1.14.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 28, 2019, 06:15:08 AM »
Character respec will greatly help too!

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2019, 05:39:33 PM »
So I'm up to the Great Marsh in Act 3 with my proto-WW Barb. No great luck on drops so far (only two pieces of Clegaws set) but, its steady away. Think I've died once since starting out, which is not bad. LE uniques are still a PITA and I'm dreading meeting my first MSLE but, I hope that won't be for a while yet. I've played through until act 2 with my 1.14 Barb and on balance, I'd say so far the difficulty is about the same as 1.09 but in a different way. I chug a lot more potions in 1.14 to stay alive but, I've not run into any instantly lethal packs yet. Drops are a lot better and I've started following the MF throughplay guide as well, which is helping even more.

My 1.09 Barb could use a little help to speed things up so, if anyone has any spare items suitable for a Barb, they'd be gladly received. All of my old D2 uniques/sets were given away back in 2003 (I think Stridje got most of them) and the two character files I did keep, I can find no trace of. So if you fancy sending me a mule, send it to: sendraks@gmail.com

D2Addict

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 31, 2019, 06:53:23 PM »
So I'm up to the Great Marsh in Act 3 with my proto-WW Barb. No great luck on drops so far (only two pieces of Clegaws set) but, its steady away. Think I've died once since starting out, which is not bad. LE uniques are still a PITA and I'm dreading meeting my first MSLE but, I hope that won't be for a while yet. I've played through until act 2 with my 1.14 Barb and on balance, I'd say so far the difficulty is about the same as 1.09 but in a different way. I chug a lot more potions in 1.14 to stay alive but, I've not run into any instantly lethal packs yet. Drops are a lot better and I've started following the MF throughplay guide as well, which is helping even more.

My 1.09 Barb could use a little help to speed things up so, if anyone has any spare items suitable for a Barb, they'd be gladly received. All of my old D2 uniques/sets were given away back in 2003 (I think Stridje got most of them) and the two character files I did keep, I can find no trace of. So if you fancy sending me a mule, send it to: sendraks@gmail.com
I don't believe a MSLE typically shows until at least nightmare. I seem to meet most of mine in Act 1 Hell.

I still have lots of 1.09 stuff but not much spare high end items. Low or Mid level I have some extras, Give me an idea of some things you want and I can see what I can pass along. I have lots of rare rings and amulets and skill amulets. Lots of rare gloves, headgear and boots too. If you want/need some IAS or other jewels or lower runes (Amn or lower) I probably have spares. If you want magic find I have at least an extra nagelring around 20% MF. I have gems of all types too.

Are you using ATMA for 1.09?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 04:59:24 AM by D2Addict »

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 01, 2019, 05:31:04 AM »
Thank you D2. Skill amulets, rings with leach and any MF gear like the Nagelring would be appreciated.

In terms of specific items I'm looking for, the unsurprising list is as follows and anything from it would be gratefully received.

Helm: Vampire or Blackthorn
Chest: Shaftstop
Belt: String
Gloves: Venomgrip
Weapon: Crainte Vomir

Specific MF items: Skulders, Goldwrap, War Traveller and Blade of Ali B.

And yes, I'm using Atma. :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 05:35:34 AM by Darkness »

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 01, 2019, 05:07:43 PM »
Milestone of level 30 reached in the Kurast Bazaar. Of course Whirlwind is largely useless at the moment due to the damage penalty and my lack of mana leach. On the plus side, I only died once getting that far through act 3 and that was to a fire enchanted stygian doll, whose explosion killed me. Otherwise I've played it careful and avoided being barbecued by Flayer Shaman.

Just Upper Kurast, the Council and Meph to go.

D2Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 01, 2019, 08:28:14 PM »
Milestone of level 30 reached in the Kurast Bazaar. Of course Whirlwind is largely useless at the moment due to the damage penalty and my lack of mana leach. On the plus side, I only died once getting that far through act 3 and that was to a fire enchanted stygian doll, whose explosion killed me. Otherwise I've played it careful and avoided being barbecued by Flayer Shaman.

Just Upper Kurast, the Council and Meph to go.
I just sent you a stash with some items in it. I picked some lower level items hoping you could use them right away but it looks like you are higher level than I guessed now. I didn't have the shaftstop armor but I did throw in a Skin of the flayed one. I have lots of dusk shrouds, wire fleece and the like with sockets if you want something like that. Let me know you got the stuff here or by email. I threw in the magic war sword just for the heck of it. It was for sale when I started my game and it was decent so I thought it might be better than what you had. I think I put in a couple things that should help your mana issues.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 08:32:56 PM by D2Addict »

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 02, 2019, 05:16:39 AM »
Thank you D2, I'm pretty sure it will all be useful given the game tends to drop lower level stuff anyway. Will check out the mule once I'm home from work and let you know. The life leach on the Skin will be incredibly useful, given I'm short on that at the moment and I'll be able to use it in a levels time. :)

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2019, 12:07:13 PM »
Yup! All really useful stuff. My Barb is now mana sustaining whilst using concentrate, whereas before I had to keep chugging potions to use skills and had made it this far just using the basic attack. So this is a huge upgrade in and of itself.

Thank you so much D2!

D2Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2019, 04:20:37 PM »
Yup! All really useful stuff. My Barb is now mana sustaining whilst using concentrate, whereas before I had to keep chugging potions to use skills and had made it this far just using the basic attack. So this is a huge upgrade in and of itself.

Thank you so much D2!
Cool glad it helps out. If you think of something else you need let me know and I can check.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2019, 05:06:21 PM »
Cheers!

Got Diablo down earlier. On players 8 it was a protracted affair and I'd forgotten how much of a sod he could be to actually hit. Still having the fight last a few minutes felt suitably epic.

The Chaos Sanctuary is still no pushover thanks to those damn Oblivion Knights.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2019, 04:26:33 AM »
Act 5 gives so much xp. I hit lvl 42 last night and have only got as far as Pindle. So that's both the Blackthorns and Crainte equipped although I didn't have much time to play with them. Thanks again for those D2.

D2Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 04, 2019, 06:06:45 AM »
Act 5 gives so much xp. I hit lvl 42 last night and have only got as far as Pindle. So that's both the Blackthorns and Crainte equipped although I didn't have much time to play with them. Thanks again for those D2.
Yeah Act 5 is probably my favorite for places and experience. Enjoy the new equipment. I don't have many higher end swords but if you let me know what you would like I can check or watch for it. I still do some MF runs with my old Barb and have been playing a bit with a few 'newer' characters that are in Hell now. If you want another Barb amulet let me know. A lot of them are magic but I do have rares and have enough to equip my own Barb army. I still have 74 Barb specific amulets.