Author Topic: 2018 Reading List?  (Read 4428 times)

syn

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 10
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Reading List?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 04:23:09 PM »
15. kingdom of the blind, Louise Penny-- 3/5.
16. the witch elm, Tana French. -- 3/5.

2019:

1. Binti, Nnedi Okorafor. 4.5/5
2. Snowblind, Christopher Golden. 2/5
3. Blackfish City, Sam Miller. 3/5
4. Medusa Uploaded, Emily Devenport. 4/5
5. Semiosis, by Sue Burke. 5/5

5. Finished Semiosis. excellent. human colony on a new planet. each chapter told by a character in subsequent generations, tho there is some back and forth between generations near the end and a few sections are told from an alien's POV. interesting structure, interesting story, interesting take on a first contact situation. best book i've read in a while. would be deserving of a hugo win.

6. Binti: home, by Nnedi Okorafor-- in progress. longer than the initial novella, tho not by much. good follow-up story. will probably be finishing it in the next day or two. would probably have finished it the other night if i didn't get yelled at for keeping the light on too late.
Buttigieg on Trump: "It is the nature of grotesque things that you can't look away."  5/19/19

TheNix

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 09:12:52 PM »
As I am in a reading phase at the moment, I will throw my hat into the ring. 

1. The Core (Demon Cycle #5). Peter V. Brett. 3.5/5. The final chapter (sort of) of the Demon Cycle series was a bit of a let down after the earlier books
2. Hellhole trilogy (Hellhole, Hellhole: Awakening & Hellhole: Inferno).  Herbert B & Anderson K, J. 3/5.  Political, Sci-fi thriller with a few aliens thrown into the mix.  A vague "The Expanse" feel about it.
3. The girl with all the gifts. M. R. Carey. 4.5/5.  A great twist on the "zombie" genre.  The movie is a poor imitation!
4. The boy on the bridge. M. R. Carey. 4.5/5.  A prequel to The girl with all the gifts; maybe not quite as good, but a great read none-the-less
5. Fellside.  M.R. Carey. 3.5/5.  A supernatural thriller set in a women's prison; not usually my cup of tea, but it was well worth the read
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:29:58 PM by TheNix »

syn

• aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 07:55:40 PM »

2019:

6. Binti: home, by Nnedi Okorafor 4/5

7. Lagoon, by Nnedi Okorafor 4/5
8. Revenger, by Alastair Reynolds 4/5
9. Shadow Captain, Alastair Reynolds. 3/5

10. Dissidence, by Ken Macleod-- in progress

Read another (Lagoon) by Okorafor, not connected to the Binti series. Alien ship lands in the water off Lagos, Nigeria; social unrest ensues. The city was practically a character by itself.

Read two by Alastair Reynolds, Revenger and a direct sequel. Not obviously connected to his previous series. Far future SF, set in this solar system although that wasn't clear until he mentioned a few place names in the second book. not an optimistic outlook here-- think of the expanse after a dozen cycles of societal collapse. more of an adventure flavor than his other stuff, some horror mixed in but that's not unusual for the author. Revenger stood well enough on its own; Shadow Captain ended with a cliffhanger. Next book not out yet... :(

About halfway through Dissidence, first book in the Corporation Wars trilogy by Ken Macleod. Also far future hard SF.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 08:00:10 PM by syn »
Buttigieg on Trump: "It is the nature of grotesque things that you can't look away."  5/19/19

Lego

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 08:25:43 PM »
About to start the Borne series. Have had it for a minute, but wanted to get thru a re-read of the Ranger's Apprentice series first. After Borne, it's about time for my yearly Dune series re-read.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 05:31:48 AM »
do you ever enjoy the first 2 chapters of a book, read them over and over, and not move on?

dave in the basement

• Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 10:36:06 AM »
I am slowly going through one of my favorite series I read as a kid: The Chronicles of Prydain.

I'm also reading a ton of comics and graphic novels. It's been fun getting back into those. :D

Sssith

• THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 05:13:18 PM »
Ah...the Book of Three and the adventures of Taran.

It is what got me into Fantasy.  I enjoyed reading these books to my kids.  Good memories.

syn

• aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2019, 07:03:10 PM »

2019:

10. Dissidence, by Ken Macleod 3/5
11. Make Me, by Lee Child  2/5
12. Noumenon, by Marina Lostetter, 3/5

13. Tiamat's Wrath, James Corey

Finished Dissidence, by Ken Macleod. Far future hard SF, the struggle between human intentions and developing AI/emergent sentience. Decent enough story. Pretty flat characters. Have the rest of the trilogy and will get to it eventually, but it's not exactly burning to be read right now.

Read a Jack Reacher book (Make Me). probably the worst Reacher book I've read, after reading a few. more or less the definition of a vacation read. utterly forgettable. nice job if you can get it, for the author.

Read Noumenon, by Marina Lostetter. another novel that's basically a collection of short stories about successive generations on a mission to another star. similar to both medusa uploaded and semiosis in that regard. not as good as either of those, but still a decent read.

up next is tiamat's wrath, the next book in the expanse series. every time i see the title, i think of the shield from d2. had a hard time finishing noemenon when i knew i had this one waiting...

TheNix

• Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2019, 08:52:53 PM »
Been doing a bit more reading

1. The Core (Demon Cycle #5). Peter V. Brett. 3.5/5. The final chapter (sort of) of the Demon Cycle series was a bit of a let down after the earlier books
2. Hellhole trilogy (Hellhole, Hellhole: Awakening & Hellhole: Inferno).  Herbert B & Anderson K, J. 3/5.  Political, Sci-fi thriller with a few aliens thrown into the mix.  A vague "The Expanse" feel about it.
3. The girl with all the gifts. M. R. Carey. 4.5/5.  A great twist on the "zombie" genre.  The movie is a poor imitation!
4. The boy on the bridge. M. R. Carey. 4.5/5.  A prequel to The girl with all the gifts; maybe not quite as good, but a great read none-the-less
5. Fellside.  M.R. Carey. 3.5/5.  A supernatural thriller set in a women's prison; not usually my cup of tea, but it was well worth the read
6. Good Omens. Gaiman/Pratchett.  3.5/5. Not bad, but a bit Pratchett-y in places
7. Wolfblade: Book 1 Hythrun Chronicles. Jennifer Fallon. 4/5.  Good book, pity I cannot find the rest of the series
8. The First Confessor: Sword of Truth prequel. Terry Goodkind. 4.5/5.  Really enjoyed it - decided to reread the Sword of Truth.
9. Wizards first rule: Book 1 Sword of Truth. Terry Goodkind. 4/5. Would have been better it it was given a bit of an edit
10. Stone of Tears: Book 2 Sword of Truth. Terry Goodkind. 4/5. Would have been better it it was given a bit of an edit
11. Blood of the Fold: Book 3 Sword of Truth. Terry Goodkind. 4/5. Would have been better it it was given a bit of an edit
12. Temple of the winds: Book 4 Sword of Truth. Terry Goodkind. 4/5. Would have been better it it was given a bit of an edit (gee Goodkind loves the sound of his own voice!) - break time.
13. Prophecy's Ruin: Book 1 Broken Well Trilogy. Sam Bowring.  3.5/5. Loved the storyline, the writing style was not the best.
14. Destiny's Rift: Book 2 Broken Well Trilogy. Sam Bowring.  3.5/5. Loved the storyline, the writing style not improving.
15. Soul's Reckoning: Book 3 Broken Well Trilogy. Sam Bowring.  3.5/5. Still loved the storyline, the writing style no better.

Five Goodkind books in a row, is enough Goodkind for a while.  I might look at some non-fiction, on the other hand I picked up the Shannara chronicles dvd (both series) in an op shop and I'm half way though; I might have to revisit Terry Brooks! 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 08:59:44 PM by TheNix »

syn

• aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2019, 01:06:51 PM »

2019:

13. Tiamat's Wrath, James Corey, 4/5
14. Desolation Mountain, William Kent Krueger, 3/5
15. The Delirium Brief, Charles Stross, 2.5/5

16. The Power, Naomi Alderman (in progress)

another satisfying entry in the Expanse series. clearly have several more books in mind.

Read a book by a local author; mystery in/around an Ojibwe reservation in northern Minnesota. apparently a later entry in a series; good summer read, would read more but probably wouldn't go far out of my way to search them out.

Read the next book in Stross's Laundry series. less self-contained than most of the previous ones here. substantial plot development for the series as a whole, but the ending here was abrupt and not particularly satisfying. more books to come here as well.

about a third the way into The Power. good opener.

syn

• aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2019, 09:13:29 PM »

2019:

13. Tiamat's Wrath, James Corey, 4/5
14. Desolation Mountain, William Kent Krueger, 3/5
15. The Delirium Brief, Charles Stross, 2.5/5

16. The Power, Naomi Alderman, 4/5
17. Vigilance, by Robert Jackson Bennett, 1/5

Finished The Power and Vigilance, which are each high on the list of most depressing books i've read in a while. both near future scifi. The Power's a take on what happens when women manifest a mutation that reverses the power dynamic between men and women; "what if men were suddenly at a huge physical disadvantage?". overall not an optimistic take on human nature.

Vigilance was even less optimistic. main character is the producer of a reality TV show that incites/follows mass shootings, judging the performance (or lack thereof) of the victims. the 'it takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun' thing. ish... i was striking out at the library and didn't want to leave without a book, ended up with this. Felt a lot like "the running man" told from the perspective of the antagonist. well written and a fast read but felt gross finishing it, which is not a huge leap to assume was the point. before reading this, I had been eyeing another series (the divine cities?) by the same author but if that's as dour as this was, will probably skip it.

Have Finder by Suzanne Palmer and Too like the lightning by Ada Palmer up next. didn't notice both authors had the same last name until just now...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 09:15:08 PM by syn »

Kasferatu

• Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2019, 01:07:17 PM »

Finished The Power and Vigilance, which are each high on the list of most depressing books i've read in a while. both near future scifi. The Power's a take on what happens when women manifest a mutation that reverses the power dynamic between men and women; "what if men were suddenly at a huge physical disadvantage?". overall not an optimistic take on human nature.

Vigilance was even less optimistic. main character is the producer of a reality TV show that incites/follows mass shootings, judging the performance (or lack thereof) of the victims. the 'it takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun' thing. ish... i was striking out at the library and didn't want to leave without a book, ended up with this. Felt a lot like "the running man" told from the perspective of the antagonist. well written and a fast read but felt gross finishing it, which is not a huge leap to assume was the point. before reading this, I had been eyeing another series (the divine cities?) by the same author but if that's as dour as this was, will probably skip it.

Have Finder by Suzanne Palmer and Too like the lightning by Ada Palmer up next. didn't notice both authors had the same last name until just now...

The Divine Cities trilogy is what I plan to read after my current book, so I'll let you know!

Reigns

• Cookies: 4
  • Parsley Boy, mark 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2019, 10:48:30 AM »
I am slowly going through one of my favorite series I read as a kid: The Chronicles of Prydain.

I'm also reading a ton of comics and graphic novels. It's been fun getting back into those. :D

I've reread that series every 3 or 4 years since I was a child.  Great stuff.

Why don't we have a 2019 reading list?  And why is Butch not on here?!?!
Reigns

SBNVL  = Snicker, But Not Very Loudly
(Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks.)

GO STEELERS!!!  Let's Go Pens!!!

syn

• aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2019, 04:20:34 PM »
Why don't we have a 2019 reading list?  And why is Butch not on here?!?!

i thought about starting a new thread this year but wasn't sure the activity level warranted it. butch hasn't been around here for years.

mn4nu

• Cookies: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2019, 05:07:18 PM »
I think we got to liberal for Butch.