Author Topic: 2018 Reading List?  (Read 3171 times)

syn

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 9
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Reading List?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 04:23:09 PM »
15. kingdom of the blind, Louise Penny-- 3/5.
16. the witch elm, Tana French. -- 3/5.

2019:

1. Binti, Nnedi Okorafor. 4.5/5
2. Snowblind, Christopher Golden. 2/5
3. Blackfish City, Sam Miller. 3/5
4. Medusa Uploaded, Emily Devenport. 4/5
5. Semiosis, by Sue Burke. 5/5

5. Finished Semiosis. excellent. human colony on a new planet. each chapter told by a character in subsequent generations, tho there is some back and forth between generations near the end and a few sections are told from an alien's POV. interesting structure, interesting story, interesting take on a first contact situation. best book i've read in a while. would be deserving of a hugo win.

6. Binti: home, by Nnedi Okorafor-- in progress. longer than the initial novella, tho not by much. good follow-up story. will probably be finishing it in the next day or two. would probably have finished it the other night if i didn't get yelled at for keeping the light on too late.

TheNix

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Reading List?
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 09:12:52 PM »
As I am in a reading phase at the moment, I will throw my hat into the ring. 

1. The Core (Demon Cycle #5). Peter V. Brett. 3.5/5. The final chapter (sort of) of the Demon Cycle series was a bit of a let down after the earlier books
2. Hellhole trilogy (Hellhole, Hellhole: Awakening & Hellhole: Inferno).  Herbert B & Anderson K, J. 3/5.  Political, Sci-fi thriller with a few aliens thrown into the mix.  A vague "The Expanse" feel about it.
3. The girl with all the gifts. M. R. Carey. 4.5/5.  A great twist on the "zombie" genre.  The movie is a poor imitation!
4. The boy on the bridge. M. R. Carey. 4.5/5.  A prequel to The girl with all the gifts; maybe not quite as good, but a great read none-the-less
5. Fellside.  M.R. Carey. 3.5/5.  A supernatural thriller set in a women's prison; not usually my cup of tea, but it was well worth the read
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:29:58 PM by TheNix »