Author Topic: 2018 Reading List?  (Read 1568 times)

Jazz

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
2018 Reading List?
« on: January 01, 2018, 03:37:10 PM »
This is honestly the thread that keeps pulling me to GO at this point.  =)  Off to a fast start.

1) Poems from the Book of Hours by Rainer Maria Rilke   I have been meaning to read Rilke for some time, and the local library has a handful.  These are very God centric, but it is a short collection, and I enjoyed the relationships he explores here.

2) The Courage to Create by Rollo May  Published in 1975, this was recommended by my favorite jazz drummer following a performance about 10 days ago.  A psychological examination of the creative process.  Really interesting to see how it jives with some of the observations of my art faculty on how students are so unproductively engaged in electronics now, that they often aren't quieting their mind and being open to a creative process as much.  Truly fascinating read.

Half way through a couple others already.  Hoping to get back to 52 this year.

1) Poems from the Book of Hours by Rainer Maria Rilke
2) The Courage to Create by Rollo May

syn

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 7
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Reading List?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 07:29:07 PM »
i fell off updating this thread the last few months of last year, but it's easy to start fresh.

about a third of the way into Spoonbenders by Daryl Gregory. fiction (apparently inspired by Uri Geller), about of family of "psychics". skips back and forth between a couple timepoints-- the 60s when they were all the rage (guests on tv shows etc) to the 90s when they've fallen on harder times. not my usual thing but am enjoying it so far.
"There is a scene in Star Wars where the heroes are in a trash compactor on the Death Star with the walls closing in. I'm reminded of that this morning, except for perhaps the stuff about the heroes."
Dan Rather 9/14/18

Reigns

• Cookies: 4
  • Parsley Boy, mark 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 01:00:09 PM »
Yup, this and the random D3 updates are why I keep coming back.  Since I finished a book right on January 1, it seems I'm off to a good start as well.  Hopefully I'll make that book a week goal this year.  Missed by 3 last year.

She-Wolf and Cub, by Lilith Saintcrow.  Honestly this is an author that is very hit or miss.  Her best stuff tends to be urban fantasy, and is fantastic.  Straight fantasy, etc isn't as good. This one was just sort of weird.  It was good enough to finish but not good enough to read again, so that's sort of my definition of a 3 out of 5.

On the other hand Stephen Brust's new Vlad Taltos book finally came out.  I found Vallista to be pretty well written and fairly entertaining.  It had Brust's usual problems with being a bit difficult to follow, but by the end he had pretty much cleared it all up.  For me, this was a shiny 4.5 out of 5

* = reread
1. She-Wolf and Cub, by Lilith Saintcrow - 3/5
2. Vallista, by Stephen Brust - 4.5/5

Reigns

SBNVL  = Snicker, But Not Very Loudly
(Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks.)

GO STEELERS!!!  Let's Go Pens!!!

syn

• aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 08:05:01 PM »
oops, hit edit instead of quote.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 07:12:39 AM by syn »
"There is a scene in Star Wars where the heroes are in a trash compactor on the Death Star with the walls closing in. I'm reminded of that this morning, except for perhaps the stuff about the heroes."
Dan Rather 9/14/18

Reigns

• Parsley Boy, mark 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 10:43:42 AM »
I've been short on time, but I managed to read two books since the last update
First was Beneath the Sugar Sky, by Seanan McGuire.  This series is very strange, but very good.  This one was a mild step down from books one and two in the series (it wasn't originally supposed to BE a series, from what I can tell.  One finds one doesn't care.)  But in truth it was really the setting of the book that didn't quite inspire me.  The story itself was still pretty good though.  I'll leave it at that. 4/5

And the second?  Damned if I know.  I usually take a picture of my books so I can write them in here later.  I forgot to.  And now I can't recall what I read.  Hazards of old age perhaps.  Or perhaps... I never finished.  I have several of those books lingering.  I should finish one of them up shortly.

* = reread
3. Beneath the Sugar Sky, by Seanan McGuire - 4/5
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:46:06 AM by Reigns »
Reigns

syn

• aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 07:12:49 AM »
Got a classic SF story in with invasion of the body snatchers. fast read, not as dated as it could be. very good.

Got a horror anthology in next, decidedly mixed bag. a couple really good ones, and several that i ended up skipping.

the last exodus was terrible. felt more dated than invasion of the body snatchers, in spite of being published maybe 2 years ago. don't know if it was intentional but it certainly felt like (bad) SF pulp writing from 50yrs ago. do not read.

discovered that there were several new books out in the expanse series, but couldn't remember which one was the last one i'd actually read. so started nemesis games. turns out i've read this one. about 1/3 the way through. considered just looking up a summary, but these books are fast enough reading that i may just stick with it. have the next two in the series waiting (babylon's ashes, persepolis rising).

1. Spoonbenders, Daryl Gregory  - 2.5/5
2. Artemis, Andy Weir - 4/5
3. invasion of the body snatchers, Jack Finney - 4/5
4. the best horror of the year vol 9, ed by Ellen Datlow  - 3/5
5. the last exodus, Paul Tassi - 1/5

6. nemesis games, James Corey  in progress

edit: and since i accidentally wiped my last post: spoonbenders was ok. finished better than it started. Artemis was better; by the author of the martian. wasn't a laugh-out-loud home run the way the martian was, but still a worthy read.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 07:10:19 PM by syn »
Dan Rather 9/14/18

Reigns

• Parsley Boy, mark 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 08:33:54 AM »
Been a while.  I read some stuff.
1. Boneyard, by Seanan McGuire.  2/5.  I appreciate branching out, but maybe not into some genra RPG that others have been writing about.  Quite frankly it wasn't worth it. 
2. It, by Stephen King.  5/5 - one of my 3 all time favorite books.  Still the only book I've ever read that scared me.  The only one - ever.  I needed something wonderful after finishing that last disappointment.  (Ironic that Seanan McGuire also authored one of my three favorite books, now that I think of it.) 
3. The Red Plague Affair, by Lilith Saintcrow 4/5.  Good read in the steampunk genre; book two in the series.  I like the author for some things and this one was a decent hit.  I'll read the follow ups sometime soon. 
4. Lake Silence, by Anne Bishop - 4.5/5.  A spin off of The Others series, which I absolutely love.  I was afraid this would be a bit of a cheap knock off.  Nope!  Still brilliantly written.  But you'd lose the whole point without reading the main series first.
5. Moonbreaker, by Simon R Green - 4/5.  Just like every other Green book.  There's nothing unexpected here.  It's not a deep read.  It's just amusing.  You like his shit or not.  (except the Ghost Finder series - even fans hate that shit.)
6. Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline - 5/5.  Yes, I reread it before seeing the movie.  I liked it even more than the last time I read it.  Yes, I still recommend it. 
7. Tricks for Free, by Seanan McGuire - 4/5. Back to a well work and loved series.  This was a fun read, although it's straying down a slightly dark path.  And I'm still not thrilled that she co-mingled this series with Sparrow Hill Road.  But still - well loved.  SO much better than the last crap I read by her (see #1)
8. The Lost Gate, by Orson Scott Card - 3/5.  This was a reread, but I had forgotten that I'd read it before.  That should tell you something.  I somewhat enjoyed this, but there were stretches in the middle that were kinda boring.  He could have done more with the book.  But I did like it enough to order the sequel. 

* = reread
4. Boneyard, by Seanan McGuire - 2/5
5. It, by Stephen King - 5/5 *
6. The Red Plague Affair, by Lilith Saintcrow - 4/5
7. Lake Silence, by Anne Bishop - 4.5/5
8. Moonbreaker, by Simon R Green - 4/5
9. Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline - 5/5 *
10. Tricks for Free, by Seanan McGuire - 4/5
11. The Lost Gate, by Orson Scott Card - 3/5 *

Reigns

Godji

• Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 10:11:26 AM »
Really not posting here as often as I should, so I'll break the list format.
I've recently been digging into some fantasy again, digging into the Cosmere universe by Brian Sanderson. I enjoyed Mistborn, read Elantris some time last year, and have now read the first two books of the Stormlight Archive (+the "Edgedancer" short novel), and am well into the third.

Not the most original material, but damn it still works extremely well. Being aware of Sanderson's grand design of all of his books taking place into a unique universe also gives quite a few different levels of reading to some of the events and references in the book, though it does feel also like the kind of project too big for its own good. (I'm still hugely disappointed with how Stephen King finished the Dark Tower series for example).

Reigns

• Parsley Boy, mark 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 11:24:52 AM »
Updates in a batch.  Nobody much seems to read this anymore so I'm not going to bother beyond this.
Well, other than to say that I was very excited to read the sequel to Sparrow Hill Road, by Seanan McGuire.  It wasn't as good (how could it be?) but was still fantastic. 

* = reread
4. Boneyard, by Seanan McGuire - 2/5
5. It, by Stephen King - 5/5 *
6. The Red Plague Affair, by Lilith Saintcrow - 4/5
7. Lake Silence, by Anne Bishop - 4.5/5
8. Moonbreaker, by Simon R Green - 4/5
9. Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline - 5/5 *
10. Tricks for Free, by Seanan McGuire - 4/5
11. The Lost Gate, by Orson Scott Card - 3/5 *
12. The Jennie Wade Story, by Cindy L Small - 2.5/5
13. The Gate Thief, by Orson Scott Card - 3/5
14. Black Dog, by Caitlin Kittredge - 3.5/5
15. Good Guys, by Steven Brust - 3.5/5
16. The Girl in the Green Silk Gown, by Seanan McGuire - 5/5
17. Brief Cases, by Jim Butcher - 5/5
18. The Darkest Minds, by Alexandrea Bracken - 4/5

Reigns

Lego

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 06:04:34 PM »
I've been reading H.P. Lovecraft, and everything I can find weird tales. There are some great weird tale authors out there. Alot of crap, too, so...

mn4nu

• Cookies: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 07:03:05 PM »
I am really into medieval mysteries.  Over the past 5 years I've read quite a lot of works by CJ Sansom, Anne Swinfen, and Denise Domning.  The Shardlake series by Sansom, the Bookseller series by Swinfen, and the Servant of the Crown series by Domning are all worthwhile reads if you are interested in 11th-13th England. 

I've also read a couple of others by Sansom that deal with the Spanish revolution and an alternate history of WWII that are pretty good.

I'm currently reading Swinfen's latest book in the Bookseller series.  Good stuff!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 07:04:36 PM by mn4nu »