Author Topic: 2018 Reading List?  (Read 705 times)

Jazz

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
2018 Reading List?
« on: January 01, 2018, 03:37:10 PM »
This is honestly the thread that keeps pulling me to GO at this point.  =)  Off to a fast start.

1) Poems from the Book of Hours by Rainer Maria Rilke   I have been meaning to read Rilke for some time, and the local library has a handful.  These are very God centric, but it is a short collection, and I enjoyed the relationships he explores here.

2) The Courage to Create by Rollo May  Published in 1975, this was recommended by my favorite jazz drummer following a performance about 10 days ago.  A psychological examination of the creative process.  Really interesting to see how it jives with some of the observations of my art faculty on how students are so unproductively engaged in electronics now, that they often aren't quieting their mind and being open to a creative process as much.  Truly fascinating read.

Half way through a couple others already.  Hoping to get back to 52 this year.

1) Poems from the Book of Hours by Rainer Maria Rilke
2) The Courage to Create by Rollo May

syn

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 7
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Reading List?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 07:29:07 PM »
i fell off updating this thread the last few months of last year, but it's easy to start fresh.

about a third of the way into Spoonbenders by Daryl Gregory. fiction (apparently inspired by Uri Geller), about of family of "psychics". skips back and forth between a couple timepoints-- the 60s when they were all the rage (guests on tv shows etc) to the 90s when they've fallen on harder times. not my usual thing but am enjoying it so far.
"They're not shithole countries. For one, Donald Trump isn't their president."
---Stephen Colbert

Reigns

• Cookies: 4
  • Parsley Boy, mark 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 01:00:09 PM »
Yup, this and the random D3 updates are why I keep coming back.  Since I finished a book right on January 1, it seems I'm off to a good start as well.  Hopefully I'll make that book a week goal this year.  Missed by 3 last year.

She-Wolf and Cub, by Lilith Saintcrow.  Honestly this is an author that is very hit or miss.  Her best stuff tends to be urban fantasy, and is fantastic.  Straight fantasy, etc isn't as good. This one was just sort of weird.  It was good enough to finish but not good enough to read again, so that's sort of my definition of a 3 out of 5.

On the other hand Stephen Brust's new Vlad Taltos book finally came out.  I found Vallista to be pretty well written and fairly entertaining.  It had Brust's usual problems with being a bit difficult to follow, but by the end he had pretty much cleared it all up.  For me, this was a shiny 4.5 out of 5

* = reread
1. She-Wolf and Cub, by Lilith Saintcrow - 3/5
2. Vallista, by Stephen Brust - 4.5/5

Reigns

SBNVL  = Snicker, But Not Very Loudly
(Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks.)

GO STEELERS!!!  Let's Go Pens!!!

syn

• Cookies: 7
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 08:05:01 PM »
finished Spoonbenders. enjoyable enough. had to push myself a bit to get through the first half, but it finished well.

also finished Artemis, by andy weir. about a woman on a lunar colony and the trouble she gets in. hard SF in the mold of the martian, but not the laugh-out-loud, can't put it down book that the martian was. this wasn't a home run, but still a good read.

a few pages into a horror anthology (best of 2017, edited by ellen datlow). also have a copy of invasion of the body snatchers (jack finney) that i may switch to...

1. Spoonbenders, Daryl Gregory  - 2.5/5
2. Artemis, Andy Weir - 4/5
"They're not shithole countries. For one, Donald Trump isn't their president."
---Stephen Colbert

Reigns

• Cookies: 4
  • Parsley Boy, mark 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 10:43:42 AM »
I've been short on time, but I managed to read two books since the last update
First was Beneath the Sugar Sky, by Seanan McGuire.  This series is very strange, but very good.  This one was a mild step down from books one and two in the series (it wasn't originally supposed to BE a series, from what I can tell.  One finds one doesn't care.)  But in truth it was really the setting of the book that didn't quite inspire me.  The story itself was still pretty good though.  I'll leave it at that. 4/5

And the second?  Damned if I know.  I usually take a picture of my books so I can write them in here later.  I forgot to.  And now I can't recall what I read.  Hazards of old age perhaps.  Or perhaps... I never finished.  I have several of those books lingering.  I should finish one of them up shortly.

* = reread
1. She-Wolf and Cub, by Lilith Saintcrow - 3/5
2. Vallista, by Stephen Brust - 4.5/5
3. Beneath the Sugar Sky, by Seanan McGuire - 4/5
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:46:06 AM by Reigns »
Reigns

SBNVL  = Snicker, But Not Very Loudly
(Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks.)

GO STEELERS!!!  Let's Go Pens!!!