Author Topic: Non seasonal progression thread  (Read 24967 times)

Cluck Kent

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Non seasonal progression thread
« Reply #240 on: January 08, 2020, 03:37:54 PM »
An ancient Bovine Bardiche does nothing different than a regular. Unfortunately.

RIP on your Necro. Next man up, as they say.

Melchior

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 10, 2020, 07:41:10 PM »
New necro on the comeback trail!

Have all Ancients again except for amulet, I'm using Hellfire which is one of the easier  Ancients to get, so I spent some time doing keywardens and such and rolled about 20 when I got this:

Just need to decide how to roll it, thinking % life for Crit damage :)
Thorns secondary will also be nice if I change to a thorns build.

Cluck Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 14, 2020, 08:08:37 PM »
Definitely roll off the life %. Another possibility is 20% to whatever damage you're using: cold, phys, fire, etc. 20% is  a lot of damage!

The good news is, you won't ever be stuck with your decision. You can roll something else if you need or want to later on.   

syn

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 11
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 14, 2020, 08:32:51 PM »
wow, nice amulet.
Remember: If your schadenfreude lasts longer than four hours, consult a doctor.

Cluck Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 04, 2020, 10:25:17 PM »
The new patch is out, 2.6.8, and I had a chance to try out the new Barb and Witch Doctor sets. Both very different. Fans of the up close and personal, in your face Barb style action will enjoy the new Frenzy set. I'm still working through the mechanics of the WD set, but it's pretty interesting. More button pushing with the WD - as usual - than the Barb.

dave in the basement

• Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 05, 2020, 07:55:26 AM »
The new patch is out, 2.6.8, and I had a chance to try out the new Barb and Witch Doctor sets. Both very different. Fans of the up close and personal, in your face Barb style action will enjoy the new Frenzy set. I'm still working through the mechanics of the WD set, but it's pretty interesting. More button pushing with the WD - as usual - than the Barb.

Thanks for the thoughts, Cluck, and please keep reporting back as you play the new sets. I'm going to start with a barbarian in S20, then probably switch to the WD if I continue to hear good things about the new set.

Cluck Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 06, 2020, 01:55:24 PM »
The new Witch Doctor set Mundunugo's Regalia is powerful. I did a 100 quite easily. I do have 2,000 paragon, but had no augments, no ancients. My biggest beef with the new set is it still relies on so many of the same items and skills as previous builds. You're still going to use the same lakumba/sacred harvester combo along with the Compass rose and travelers pledge and to me, made the build feel too reminiscent of so many other WD builds. I was hoping for a fresh feel and it just isn't there.

edit: Soul Harvest and Piranhado are still in this build adding to the "sameness" feel. But if you haven't played much WD, I would definitely recommend giving it a go. It's very powerful and reasonably tanky with all the buffs up.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 08:57:10 AM by Cluck Kent »

Cluck Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 07, 2020, 09:17:40 AM »
Had the opportunity to find the new Wizard set, Typhon's. Strong and quite tanky with the buffs up. I tried a 110 and got about 75% of the way through before the timer expired but I only died once. Completed a 105 in 10 minutes without dying. Then I realized my rank 100 Enforcer was on my WD and the one I was wearing was a rank 7. So I'll have to switch gems and try that 110 again.

I haven't played much Wiz recently because I'm not a big fan of the Archon style of play so this build is very appealing. Much less work to play than Archon and it quickly becomes much more intuitive. Nice looking set although my jury is still out on the shoulders.

Tried a 101 with the new Barb Frenzy set and completed it in 5 minutes. Looks like most Barbs are still playing the Whirlwind build however, with entry to the leader board starting at a staggering 115.

One thing I like about the Barb is that his run speed combined with furious charge allow him to move along very quickly. You don't necessarily want to kill every monster as Frenzy is a single target skill and there are simply too much trash that doesn't help you progress, so being able to move quickly from juicy bits to juicy bits is very helpful.

Cluck Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 12, 2020, 12:23:34 PM »
Final thoughts on the new sets before the season starts:

Frenzy Barb: Not as powerful as the WW Barb at higher GR levels but should be an effective T16 rift and bounty runner this season. Fun play style, kills elites quickly, lot's of movement speed.

Spirit Barrage Witch Doctor: Very powerful for a WD and while it's a fun build to play, there is a  lot of 'sameness' in the play style to prior builds.

Hydra Wizard: Continues to grow on me and has perhaps become my favourite of the 3 builds. Unlike any previous Wiz build I've played, very fun to drop the 5 headed hydras and watch them destroy every thing nearby.

For whatever reason, Blizz isn't providing these through the Haedrigs Gift this season. Since I'm not crazy about the HG sets for this season I'm not sure yet what I'll start as but whichever, I'll soon migrate to the Wizard.

mn4nu

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 12, 2020, 01:12:26 PM »
I really liked playing a lightning hydra wizard awhile back with the huge damage spike from Manald Heal.  If I still played D3 I would be definitely be playing a wizard this season.

Ray Patean

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 13, 2020, 10:06:32 AM »
I have no idea what to run this season. I was thinking Barb, since IK is a fast and easy start then switching over to Frenzy... But I played Barb last season. I'm also thinking about WD for the new Spirit Barrage set, or Monk to play with the recent Patterns of Justice - Tempest Rush build. I always liked Tempest Rush, but Uliana's start isn't great. I'm so torn.

Drozz

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 14, 2020, 02:16:31 PM »
I went monk. I started running with my son last night. We upped the difficulty too soon and died a few times. The upgrade rare gave me incense torch of the grand temple. Once I had that in the cube, wave of light became fun. Iím at lvl 61 and running T1 rifts to get to 70. Fun so far.

Silverthorn

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 19, 2020, 12:08:45 AM »
I just, after years of non-playing, started a new character, a necro. Only lvl. 9, so at the bare beginnings. No clue about skill placement and such, just sort of feeling my way, which will probably end up bad. It's incredible fun though, on this (surprisingly: Supported, Yay!) 3440x1440 34"beast in front of me.

Cluck Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 21, 2020, 09:14:15 PM »
Hope you have fun with it!

My favorite skill was corpse explosion when I leveled a Necro. But there are plenty of fun skills to try. The Necro is getting a new set in the upcoming patch which will be out in a month or so and there's a huge boost to corpse explosion I understand. Should be fun.

syn

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 11
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 10, 2020, 10:08:08 AM »
so I'm working through the set dungeons for the wing rewards. have 2 barb dungeons left (mote, WW) and then all of the monk dungeons. will have to farm a set or 2 for the monk dungeons, i'm afraid.
Remember: If your schadenfreude lasts longer than four hours, consult a doctor.