Author Topic: Non seasonal progression thread  (Read 21159 times)

Melchior

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Non seasonal progression thread
« Reply #225 on: December 15, 2019, 07:16:15 PM »
Sorry for your loss Nikon!
I have lost 2 barbs in similar circumstances. Also seems like the scaling from 60-70 gets weird if you don't lower Torment level, lost one that way.

And I just lost me necro  ::) Apparently I suck at necro. Which is a shame because I really enjoy playing summons. Was using Rathma set (50%DDR) with Jesseth set, Esoteric gem (50% non-melee DR), Unity (50%DR), Bone armor (30%DR) AND Dayntee's Binding (~50%DR with curse applied), and I died in a T16 rift after running 3 beforehand with no issue  :-\

Is necro quite fragile or is it the way I'm playing?
I was at the limit of my damage output, but I hadn't felt in any danger until then. Died to Voracity and a blue elite pack of berserkers...

Sigh, another new necro to level

Cluck Kent

• Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 16, 2019, 09:56:18 PM »
Sorry for ALL the losses. My connection has been spotty for a few months so I don't dare try HC these days. Lately, I've been playing a SC Whirly Barb and even though I've done a comfortable 108, I still get one shot by almost nothing when I stop to pick something up. It's not that different with my DH. I think these big 50% and larger damage reduction buffs are great and can enable you to push some steep rifts, but just a momentary lapse at a critical moment and your toughness just isn't there.

Even when I did HC with my DH, I was very, very wary of T16. GRs are a little different because you don't have to stop and it's easier to maintain focus on your rotation so buffs stay up better. But trying to pick up mats on T16 is highly risky these days.

Melchior

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 21, 2019, 12:00:24 AM »
Sorry for ALL the losses. My connection has been spotty for a few months so I don't dare try HC these days. Lately, I've been playing a SC Whirly Barb and even though I've done a comfortable 108, I still get one shot by almost nothing when I stop to pick something up. It's not that different with my DH. I think these big 50% and larger damage reduction buffs are great and can enable you to push some steep rifts, but just a momentary lapse at a critical moment and your toughness just isn't there.

Even when I did HC with my DH, I was very, very wary of T16. GRs are a little different because you don't have to stop and it's easier to maintain focus on your rotation so buffs stay up better. But trying to pick up mats on T16 is highly risky these days.

Damn that always online requirement! I like that it prevents hacking but it can be a real drag for HC. Still, SC is too boring as there's no risk.

Also, I found a PRIMAL Freeze Deflection  ::)

hurtlocker

• Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 21, 2019, 12:40:13 PM »
Cluck you are spot on the whirly Barb. There are times when I get killed over and over is I stop whirling.

Melchior

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 21, 2019, 06:43:53 PM »
Played a couple hours this morning but decided to take a break on a high note. After a string of Necro deaths, I have a strong and safe build.

Today I achieved:
Paragon 1000 in HC :D
GR 75 with HC Necro
Rank #28 Necro on HC America server, with aspirations for Top 10

The build I'm using is Legacy of Dreams, Singularity Mages with skeletons for meatshields. I have taken it really slow to build the equipment for this character, playing 5 GRs lower than my damage would allow, keeping me from dying while I build my damage reduction items.

Notable parts of the build:
  • Krysbin's Sentence with stun (Bone Armor (Dislocation) + Bone Spikes (stun rune)) and slow (Decrepify + Raise Skeleton (Freezing Grasp)) for triple damage
  • Skeletal Mages with Requiem Cereplate + Reapers Wraps + Life from Death passive + Devour (cannibalize), means I always have Essence to recast and Circle of Nailuj's Evol for double mages
  • Unity + Dayntee's Binding + Bone Armor for damage reduction

Still have improvements to make, missing a couple Ancients, gems need leveling, would like to change from Trag'ouls Corroded Fang to Scythe of the Cycle but I am yet to get an ancient one.

I am open to suggestions for improvement if anyone wants to go look at my hero profile :)

Cluck Kent

• Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 21, 2019, 08:10:18 PM »
Congratulations! Paragon 1000 by itself in HC is an awesome accomplishment. Good luck on top 10. I haven't played much Necro so I don't have any advise for your build but I will have a look at the build next time I'm on.

syn

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 11
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 22, 2019, 03:38:41 PM »
that's awesome! nice to see build variety having success on the leaderboard. makes me want to play with a necro again.
Buttigieg on Trump: "It is the nature of grotesque things that you can't look away."  5/19/19

Melchior

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 22, 2019, 07:18:27 PM »
Just did some HC necro GRs with Salem  ;D Thanks for the game!

Made some solo progress and I am now rank 12 HC Necro. If I could get some damn Ancient Illusory Boots to drop I can take 10th :D

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 22, 2019, 08:57:03 PM »
*Cookie Given*

Melchy, just curious, what is the spread of those on the ladder?  as you go down the rankings, is it close or not? Just wondering how many people are playing, and how hard they are pushing

Melchior

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 22, 2019, 11:00:53 PM »
*Cookie Given*

Melchy, just curious, what is the spread of those on the ladder?  as you go down the rankings, is it close or not? Just wondering how many people are playing, and how hard they are pushing

*eats cookie*

Attempting to attach screenshot of ladder

Sssith

• THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 23, 2019, 12:26:41 PM »
Nice Melchy!

Melchior

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 24, 2019, 05:01:07 PM »
Decided I wanted to play the new Monk set, so I fired up my old Te,pest Rush monk with Inna's and slogged through a T13. Made some changes and got T15 viable, then just grinded rifts and GRs until I got the set.

It rules.
Immediately started destroying T16, jumped about 10 GRs.
Did about an hour of runs trying to get a Won Khim Lau, finally got one to drop and it was Ancient :D
Once I equiped that, damage became insane. One shotting T16 trash mobs, elites dying in seconds, jumped another 10 GRs.

Lots of fun!

Melchior

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 07, 2020, 05:25:56 PM »
Update!

My necro died :( I was running GR80s for gear and such, about 5 levels below my max, so it's very comfortable and safe...usually. For some reason I didn't notice that my cheat death passive had triggered (life globe sometimes bounces around with elite pack damage and Devour restoring life), accidentally stepped into a molten explosion and died. Dammit.

Rebuilding my necro currently. So new gems to level, fortunately I was leveling another LOD now and then so I had a level 60 one spare. Played Rathma's for a while until I had a couple Ancients, then switched back to LOD. Funnily enough, I found an Ancient Dayntee's Binding on a gem leveling run, dropped from the RG. It is the one Ancient that eluded me last time, even after thousands of blood shards, belt upgrades and rerolls, then it just randomly drops   ::) RNG is weird.

Have also been progressing with my Monk, that new set is really strong, I have hit GR95 and could probably go a few higher, but I definitely need better gear to really push. Although I crunched some numbers and Sunwuko set actually does more damage if you get the newer Vengeful Wind that adds 10 stacks to Sweeping Wind, I am using an Ancient that has +6 stacks because it's an older one. So I might switch to Sunwuko's at some point. I am really enjoying leveling gems past 80 though, I have been swapping gems from other characters around a bit to level them higher too.

Also had a weird incident where I opened the Cow level with a Bovine Bardiche, the transmute animation played but the portal never opened  :o Never happened before, I am hoping it was a once off occurrence because I have a couple more bardiches.

Anyone know if Ancient Bovine Bardiche makes a better cow level, like Ancient puzzle rings?

syn

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 11
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 07, 2020, 07:53:20 PM »
Update!

My necro died

:( RIP.

Anyone know if Ancient Bovine Bardiche makes a better cow level, like Ancient puzzle rings?

nope.

edit to clarify: the level does not appear different so far as i've seen.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 08:14:06 PM by syn »
Buttigieg on Trump: "It is the nature of grotesque things that you can't look away."  5/19/19

Orbert

• Cookies: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 08, 2020, 01:53:45 PM »

I cubed an Ancient Bovine Bardiche once, and the resulted cow level didn't seem any different.