Author Topic: Last Jedi thoughts with spoilers  (Read 4155 times)

syn

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 9
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
Re: Last Jedi thoughts with spoilers
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 07:00:46 AM »
agree w/ almost everything maxbeedo said. will probably see it one more time with one of my kids, but otherwise i don't think i'd even bother with a second viewing. read a while ago that abrams has replaced trevorrow (sp?) to direct the next one; too bad abrams couldn't do all three of them. he definitely has his faults but they aren't as bad as what happened here.
"There is a scene in Star Wars where the heroes are in a trash compactor on the Death Star with the walls closing in. I'm reminded of that this morning, except for perhaps the stuff about the heroes."
Dan Rather 9/14/18

Jazz

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 03:56:35 PM »
As for the ship going into hyperspace to destroy everything I was pretty upset at that.  Are you trying to tell me that if that worked why wouldn't it have been the defacto way of blowing shit up?  Line up three hammer head cruisers and hyperspace right into the death star.  You just automate that thing and no need to waste life of the pilots.  Hell just build big ass spears with a hyperdrive on it.

This is one of the few bones of contention I have with the movie and for exactly the same reasons as you. Indeed, given the way things work moving at relativistic speeds work, you could theoretically destroy a Death Star by flying a Y-wing into it.

And here's the thing. Before the Crusier goes to lightspeed, the Force Order twig what she's about to do and they are aware of the potential consequences of that. Which means there is a precedent for this sort of action and probably a reason why it isn't normally used.

However, for the life of me I can't think of a reason that's stands up to scrutiny. It can't be because it was "too heinous" a thing to do, given the Force Order and Empire created planet destroying weapons. Indeed, given ethics and morals aren't a consideration, just getting clone pilots to fly ships at lightspeed into planets is probably a more effective way of destroying planets than building a giant frikkin space station.

So my guess is that there is a technical reason. What that might be, I do not know.

And likewise, why didn't the Falcon tear a hole in the side of Han and Chewie's freighter in Ep 7, kicking the pirates into vacuum?

syn

• Cookies: 9
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 06:58:31 AM »
So my guess is that there is a technical reason. What that might be, I do not know.

lazy writing seems like the best guess. i don't see the need for mental gymnastics to explain it away.
"There is a scene in Star Wars where the heroes are in a trash compactor on the Death Star with the walls closing in. I'm reminded of that this morning, except for perhaps the stuff about the heroes."
Dan Rather 9/14/18

Darkness

• Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 10:37:26 AM »
. he definitely has his faults but they aren't as bad as what happened here.

Apart from TFA being inferior to TLJ in every way, sure, lets get JJ back.

narsica

• Cookies: 7
  • Resident angry Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 02:39:39 PM »
It waves off mysteries Ep. 7 set up that could've led somewhere

Saw it twice over the holidays. Have to say that this was one of the things I appreciated most about it. TLJ was an unexpected (and delightful) Star Wars movie. It subverted traditional archetypes, and deliberately undid some of the completely unnecessary BS from TFA (cf. Kylo Ren's stupid helmet, Rey's parents). It is also significantly better on a second viewing.

It's not Empire, for sure. But it has two of the best lightsaber battles, was way more visually interesting, and Mark Hamill killed it in his role. Only disappointments were: Luke calling it a "laser sword", too many fucking Porgs, and Phasma.

Now we wait for JJ Abrams to ruin the trilogy!
To be so civilized one must tell civil lies...

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 07:19:47 PM »
Maybe Ep 12 will be Tarantino's 12th and final movie in his 10 and I'm done list?

narsica

• Cookies: 7
  • Resident angry Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 07:03:52 PM »
Maybe Ep 12 will be Tarantino's 12th and final movie in his 10 and I'm done list?

OH MY GOD I CAN'T EVEN
To be so civilized one must tell civil lies...

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 09:52:02 PM »
you never know .. after all he is doing a trek.  maybe he will finish directing Johnny Depp soiling himself on Pirates of the Caribbean 11?

Reigns

• Cookies: 4
  • Parsley Boy, mark 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 01:01:54 PM »
SPOILER!

...Luke's in it
Reigns

SBNVL  = Snicker, But Not Very Loudly
(Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks.)

GO STEELERS!!!  Let's Go Pens!!!

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 02:39:10 PM »
SPOILER!

...Luke's in it

except when he isn't and he makes it look like he is.

Orbert

• Cookies: 151
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 12:14:10 PM »
That was one of the coolest things about the movie.  At the beginning, when Rey first finds Luke, he asks her what she thought was going to happen when she found him.  Was he supposed to go out and face down the entire First Order or something?  Then he does exactly that.  Remotely of course, because they would've blown him to bits, but he did it.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2018, 03:56:05 PM »
Finally got to see this today.

Technicalities aside (the aforementioned light-speed-through-a-ship thing), I really liked it, more than TFA I'd say.

I do think it went a bit too heavy on the slapstick and one-liners. I got a "trying too hard" vibe a few times. But that's a pretty minor complaint, really.

Also, I now adore Rose and had a moment of real anger when I thought they might have killed her off to save Finn (who I like considerably less).

Rey clearing the rocks was awesome. Rey in general is awesome.

TheNix

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2018, 08:06:33 PM »
I finally got around to see TLJ last week and although I enjoyed it there were a more than a few WFT moments (many of which have already been mentioned here); I think it will take another watching before I'll decide on my final opinion.  One thing I would like to ask you guys, was it ever explained how the First Order could track the Rebels though hyperspace.  Yes, there was a tracking devise that had to be disabled, yada, yada yada, but was it actually explained?  If so, I must have missed it!   

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2018, 06:16:32 AM »
Also, I now adore Rose and had a moment of real anger when I thought they might have killed her off to save Finn (who I like considerably less).

I also like Rose but, I'm not happy with her potentially interfering with the Finn/Poe romance I want to see happen.

Rey clearing the rocks was awesome. Rey in general is awesome.
Yes. Yes she is.
All the more so if they stuck to their guns and don't make her a Skywalker or a Kenobi or anyone with a lore background.

Orbert

• Cookies: 151
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2018, 08:28:01 AM »