Author Topic: Trump continued  (Read 31322 times)

mn4nu

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Trump continued
« Reply #225 on: July 16, 2018, 02:54:59 PM »
Trump basically licked Putin's boots at the Helsinki presser.  What a disgrace.

Silverthorn

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 17, 2018, 11:34:06 AM »
Just the boots?

mn4nu

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 17, 2018, 11:41:40 AM »

syn

• Cookies: 7
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 17, 2018, 03:48:59 PM »
ton of backlash on his comments at the presser. former CIA director brennan called it treasonous, former RNC chairman steele called it "what happens when an asset meets with his handler", former republican governor/bush cabinet member whitman called on trump to resign. of course, no one with any power to actually do something is willing to do anything or say anything beyond the meekest of rebukes. 

trump today said "he misspoke", when talking about why he would or wouldn't think russia was involved in election tampering, but he wouldn't answer when asked if he would condemn russian interference in the election.

"Oops, did I say WOULD? I meant wouldN'T.
...Didn't even realize it until I checked the transcript."

— An actual excuse that someone in the WH thought would work

ya suppose he's aware that if he loses congressional support, they have everything they need to impeach him?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:59:15 PM by syn »
“trade wars are good, and easy to win.”
-president dumbf***, March 2, 2018

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 17, 2018, 04:38:39 PM »
I kinda hope the rest of the world lowers tariffs among each other so its much easier to work without the US.

Sssith

• Cookies: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 17, 2018, 05:36:38 PM »
Just the boots?

I had a long disgusting diatribe written that I refrained from posting.  This response is the PG equivalent of that.  Nicely done.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 17, 2018, 08:04:30 PM »
I hope the Dems come up with a whole heap of great candidates, not just 2 possibilities.  I hope they pick someone with a real chance of getting there.  I also hope there are some other republications who put their name in (if they can) :P

Darkness

• Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 18, 2018, 08:45:00 AM »
I hope the Dems come up with a whole heap of great candidates, not just 2 possibilities.  I hope they pick someone with a real chance of getting there.  I also hope there are some other republications who put their name in (if they can) :P

I don't really have any great hope here and if anything, 2016 showed how divided the left in the US is. It is far far easier for the far right to rally around a candidate, especially when they just go mindlessly for soundbites over substance.

Rallying the political left behind a single candidate, especially when Bernie demonstrate both how "big" and divided the political "left" was, is going to be a huge challenge. Regardless that Hilary lost because of the failings of the EC, it seems pretty clear that the left won't, on principle, all rally behind a candidate just to defeat abhorrent opposition. I've not seen any signs this side of the pond that the Dems have learned any lessons from 2016 or have plans to appeal to the voters, especially younger voters, who Bernie appealed to.

I don't think a "project fear" vote for X candidate or we'll get Trump, is going to cut it.

At present, I fully expect Trump will get four more years.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:52:04 AM by Darkness »

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 18, 2018, 10:01:02 AM »

Do you have any space in your cupboard under the stairs?  Can I move in if this happens?

Kasferatu

• Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 18, 2018, 01:21:14 PM »
I don't really have any great hope here and if anything, 2016 showed how divided the left in the US is. It is far far easier for the far right to rally around a candidate, especially when they just go mindlessly for soundbites over substance.

Rallying the political left behind a single candidate, especially when Bernie demonstrate both how "big" and divided the political "left" was, is going to be a huge challenge. Regardless that Hilary lost because of the failings of the EC, it seems pretty clear that the left won't, on principle, all rally behind a candidate just to defeat abhorrent opposition. I've not seen any signs this side of the pond that the Dems have learned any lessons from 2016 or have plans to appeal to the voters, especially younger voters, who Bernie appealed to.

I don't think a "project fear" vote for X candidate or we'll get Trump, is going to cut it.

These are my thoughts exactly.

syn

• Cookies: 7
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 19, 2018, 07:11:27 AM »
it took a perfect storm to elect trump the first time. that's unlikely to be repeated.
“trade wars are good, and easy to win.”
-president dumbf***, March 2, 2018

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 19, 2018, 02:09:46 PM »
it took a perfect storm to elect trump the first time. that's unlikely to be repeated.

And what was that perfect storm exactly?  I don't see anything remarkable about the circumstances under which Trump was elected.

1 - He's going to run again unless he's impeached.
2 - I don't know enough about the EC to say whether what occurred last time would be replicated.
3 - Even if it wasn't, Trump stands a better chance of unifying the right than the left does of getting its act together.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 02:12:26 PM by Darkness »

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 22, 2018, 12:52:05 PM »
It's way too early to call it. We need to shake the candidate tree and see who pops out (personally, I'm hoping for a President Cory Booker). I do know that I don't want Sanders or Warren or Biden to run. They're too damn old and we need a younger, fresher face. I *do* fear a pull to hard left (a la Ocasio-Cortez) even though I'm personally very far left... because I worry about the likelihood of losing the middle.

Anyway, a big field of candidates would be a good start and I'm going to remain optimistic that Trump is done by January 2021 at the latest. Optimism is all I have and I'm not giving it up yet. I hear waaaay too much doom and gloom and despair from my Democratic friends and that's no way to win. Certainly no way to live.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 24, 2018, 03:44:06 AM »
It's way too early to call it. We need to shake the candidate tree and see who pops out (personally, I'm hoping for a President Cory Booker).

Is it too early to call it? I don't know enough about US politics to say if any contenders are emerging on the left but, from this side of the pond there don't appear to be any credible candidates at this point and given the circumstances, this is worrying. My perception of US politics is that the approach of candidates tumbling out of the bag the year before the election leaves a lot of the electorate asking "who is this person?" but, that's a fault of the process rather than people.

I do know that I don't want Sanders or Warren or Biden to run. They're too damn old and we need a younger, fresher face. I *do* fear a pull to hard left (a la Ocasio-Cortez) even though I'm personally very far left... because I worry about the likelihood of losing the middle.

Sanders did an amazing job of energising the youth vote in the US. So whilst I see where you are coming from, I'm not sure a younger person is the key factor. That said, someone comfortably under 50 who a broad section of the populace can identify with wouldn't hurt.  I'm not sure getting someone under 40 is terribly realistic for modern politics but, its a dream I have for the UK as well.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 05:51:23 AM by Darkness »

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 24, 2018, 10:13:02 AM »
It is much too early to call it.  I don't discount the awful possibility of another four years of Trump but the idea the is it a forgone conclusion is ridiculous in the extreme.  A lot of people thought the election process in the US couldn't be influenced because it is so decentralized.   But the combination of the electoral college and gerrymandering made it possible.  All it takes it is influencing the result in key areas to get the desired result.  Can it happen again; sure.  Another big factor in why Trump might win is that the Democratic party is poorly organized as compared to the Republicans.  Like Pixie I would rather see a new face, and there are a few out there.  Some factors against it happening again are that he won't win Michigan.  That was a somewhat surprising flip in Trump's favor and all that he has done since has hurt the Unions.  Also his numbers since being elected have been extremely poor; he has held his base but lost the middle.  I have read that for a sitting presidency he negatively compares to Carter in terms of his polling numbers.  His trade wars have pissed off Wall Street.  His scandal ridden presidency will also play a factor.  He also won't face a candidate like Hillary in the next election.  As competent as she was, at least in my eyes, she galvanized the right like few other candidates could. 

I could probably dig up more potential factors, but the upshot is that I think it is unlikely he will win again.  Call it improbable but not impossible.