Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 85245 times)

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #1110 on: January 15, 2021, 07:03:34 PM »
Do you mean character level? If so, the map zones are leveled so that's what you should be going by.

Here's a pic I just snapped from the strategy guide, showing the recommended character levels per map zone.

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: January 16, 2021, 10:33:58 AM »
That is good to know.

I assume that when Panam calls in a panic I don't have to go running. 

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: January 16, 2021, 01:47:29 PM »
That is good to know.

I assume that when Panam calls in a panic I don't have to go running.

Nope. I don't recall any missions being time sensitive beyond the "go there after dark" or the like. But you can go "after dark" three weeks from now and it'll be fine.

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: January 17, 2021, 01:24:54 PM »
It is quite interesting how much you guys are into this, everyone else I know who has played it is saying it is mediocre at best.  I just listened to the latest episode of the Besties podcast (which I enjoy quite a bit) and they made it sound really bad.  I've gone from probably picking it up and playing when its cheap to probably just not bothering at all.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: January 17, 2021, 02:42:09 PM »
It is quite interesting how much you guys are into this, everyone else I know who has played it is saying it is mediocre at best.  I just listened to the latest episode of the Besties podcast (which I enjoy quite a bit) and they made it sound really bad.  I've gone from probably picking it up and playing when its cheap to probably just not bothering at all.

I have 108 Steam friends who own Cyberpunk. Of those, only 18 have less than 50 hours in the game, most have 100+ hours. None that I can recall have said in group chat or anything that the game is mediocre or bad.

It's f'ing amazing.

... unless you're on console, of course.

Of course, podcasts/reviewers universally suck and should be ignored, is my general thought on them.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: January 18, 2021, 07:36:58 PM »
It is pretty great overall.

Sure there are problems, even on PC.  But I have not run into anything that is truly game-breaking. 

My least favorite thing about the game is the driving. 

Right now doing a shotgun in your face build.  The next playthrough will be a hacker, cropo, bent on revenge.  I am going to guess that it will feel pretty different.  The skill trees are good and offer a lot of options.

I personally would recommend it if you have a good PC.

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: January 25, 2021, 09:49:42 AM »
Currently in the finale of Yakuza: Like a Dragon.  On the plus side, the job system is solid, and the story is pretty great overall, with several big reveals closer to the end.  The downside for many is that since it's a JRPG, levels and stats matter way more than skill, the scaling of XP to level scales exponentially, and there are a few massive required roadblock bosses near the end.  I don't mind the last one, as the characters in question are canonically ridiculously strong, but they have apparently become meme-worthy for how much extra grinding was required to pass them.  I beat them first try but I'm also 100% completing everything, and there were some attacks that did 90% of a character's life so I couldn't have gotten away with much less.  The amount of XP you get from random encounters is also way too little for how many of them spawn in, and you can't get a "No Encounters" ability until 90% the way through the game.  A fight against 6 Level 26 enemies on the street will get you 900XP, but fighting those same guys in a story fight will get you like 26000XP.  The scaling could definitely be more balanced, as even with taking up both of a character's accessory slots with XP boosters it still takes too many battles to level.  At least your HP/MP refills every time you level the character or a job. I know there are 2 post-game dungeons, my highest job level is 32 after 101 hours, but the max job level is 99, and that's a little scary, that it might be required at some point to get that high. 

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: January 25, 2021, 10:32:47 AM »
I have gotten into the higher levels of Cyberpunk and there a couple of things that are frustrating me.  First is that I don't seem to get blueprints.  Carnage is an example.  It is a great weapon for my build and there are two place were you can supposedly get the blueprint and all I have gotten is the actual weapon.  Which is nice but the blueprint would be better.  I do not get what I am missing with blueprints.  I am hoping that it is a stupid thing that is just not well explained in the game.

The other thing is not being able to get perks because they are locked behind skills.  I have 20 attribute points in Cool.  But I am not able to all the perks in that area because I have not leveled the skills up.  The problem is that skills get leveled up only when you do something in the game that uses that skill.  This is slow and somewhat random.  Even with my Annihilation skills I have not gotten them up to max despite running around shotgunning everything to death.  Right now I have about 10 perk points that I have been able to use because I am locked out of the high level stuff.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: January 25, 2021, 05:56:25 PM »
I have gotten into the higher levels of Cyberpunk and there a couple of things that are frustrating me.  First is that I don't seem to get blueprints.  Carnage is an example.  It is a great weapon for my build and there are two place were you can supposedly get the blueprint and all I have gotten is the actual weapon.  Which is nice but the blueprint would be better.  I do not get what I am missing with blueprints.  I am hoping that it is a stupid thing that is just not well explained in the game.

The other thing is not being able to get perks because they are locked behind skills.  I have 20 attribute points in Cool.  But I am not able to all the perks in that area because I have not leveled the skills up.  The problem is that skills get leveled up only when you do something in the game that uses that skill.  This is slow and somewhat random.  Even with my Annihilation skills I have not gotten them up to max despite running around shotgunning everything to death.  Right now I have about 10 perk points that I have been able to use because I am locked out of the high level stuff.

Blueprints - probably straight up RNG. There's a ton I never found.

The perks are tied to the attribute level, not the skill level. For example, if you have 20 in Agility, you can learn every Pistol perk without ever having any skill in pistols. Ditto for Body and Annihilation. If you have 20 in Cool you should be able to learn any Cold Blooded or Stealth perk there is.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: January 25, 2021, 05:59:11 PM »
Also, most of the perks are broken anyway and either do nothing at all, or do not do what they say they do. So, you know... it's all a crapshoot anyway. lol

Here's a helpful run down of what works and what doesn't. Thanks, Reddit.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: January 26, 2021, 10:19:01 AM »
I have 20 in Body and Cool.  I can't get the top level perks.  This is a bug?  It seems to be tied to the skill level for me.

With blue prints you can't learn it from dissembling the weapon?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 10:22:34 AM by Sssith »

Kasferatu

• View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: January 26, 2021, 01:24:42 PM »

I have 108 Steam friends who own Cyberpunk. Of those, only 18 have less than 50 hours in the game, most have 100+ hours. None that I can recall have said in group chat or anything that the game is mediocre or bad.

It's f'ing amazing.

... unless you're on console, of course.

Of course, podcasts/reviewers universally suck and should be ignored, is my general thought on them.

I generally agree with your stance on Podcasts and reviewers but these in particular are ones I tend to often agree with.  That said, you are right I should still give it a chance.  Heck if I can give Fallout 76 a chance I should give anything a chance!

Kasferatu

• View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: January 26, 2021, 01:26:01 PM »
Hearing rumours of Fallout New Vegas 2 by Obsidian - colour me hyped!

Also rumours of KOTOR 3 - but not by EA/Bioware. Given what happened to ME: Andromeda and Anthem that probably isn't a bad thing but I am curious as to who could be developing it.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: January 26, 2021, 04:35:17 PM »
I have 20 in Body and Cool.  I can't get the top level perks.  This is a bug?  It seems to be tied to the skill level for me.

With blue prints you can't learn it from dissembling the weapon?

Oh right, there's one very top level perk in each skill you can't get without 20 skill. I forgot about that because I never got anywhere close to getting any of them. I think my highest level skill was like 13 in blades.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: January 26, 2021, 04:36:26 PM »
Hearing rumours of Fallout New Vegas 2 by Obsidian - colour me hyped!

There's been wishful thinking rumors about that since MS bought Bethesda, but I've never heard anything that suggested it's more than a fan pipe dream. What's your source?

Also, that would be terrible and I would be sad, so I hope it's not true. :P