Author Topic: Jedi Fallen Order  (Read 899 times)

Lego

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 10
    • View Profile
Jedi Fallen Order
« on: April 15, 2019, 10:46:22 PM »
In case you haven't heard, there's a new Star Wars game announced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GLbwkfhYZk

No microtransactions, no loot boxes, no DLC, no multi-player. Just single-player gamingness.

Thoughts?

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Jedi Fallen Order
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 11:03:40 PM »
Initially: BOUGHT FREAKING TIME OMG YES.

Later: Hmmm, interesting that they've apparently changed their stance that "every game must have a service model", which Amy Hennig's game wasn't going to have and got canceled partly because of.  Also, Battlefront 2 wasn't reported to have microtransactions to any serious degree, and then we saw how that blew up after launch.  I'll hold my judgment until final release, but I'm hopeful.

Lego

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 12:05:44 AM »
Yeah. The tagline for the game is "Trust no one" lol

But I'm cautiously hopeful as well for some awesomeness.

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 10:15:35 AM »
If this holds up to your initial statements then HELL YES.  It looks awesome.  Time to hold my breath.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 04:23:32 PM »
I was interested.

Then I learned you play it as Dudebro McBoring with no character creation or female option. So now I'm sad.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 05:51:55 PM »
Yeah...I was wondering if there would be customizations.  The game should be ripe for it.  If what you said is true they chose a very bland shell.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 05:55:40 PM »
Yes, "bland" is the exact word I've seen used elsewhere to describe him.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 11:17:52 PM »
About 7-8 hours into this.  It's... ok.  It's very formulaic and borrows heavily from Souls games and Metroidvanias.  Stamina bar, parrying, reviving enemies on resting, limited heals, learning abilities that let you backtrack to unlock previous secrets, unlocking shortcuts, etc.  Also has a lot of climbing ala Uncharted/Tomb Raider/Horizon/etc.  Not all that exciting for me since I've played a lot of games like this.  Characters overall seem likable, some interesting puzzles, and the platforming is forgiving in that if you fall to your "death" you just respawn at the last safe spot having lost a little health, which is good because there are some on-rails moments where you probably couldn't succeed on your first try without knowing where you're intended to go.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 11:04:21 AM »
Sounds like a game to play when it is cheap.  I have been very curious about the game.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 04:28:08 PM »
It's not bad. The story is decent if you're really invested in Star Wars lore (I am).

But I am absolutely convinced they should have written the game around Trilla Suduri as the main character instead of Cal. Her story is FAR more compelling and interesting...

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 07:49:43 PM »
Completed this today.  Might go back to finish up the last few trophies for the platinum, but not super invested in doing so.

Good:
Pretty good characters overall.  Cal is boring but gets better.  I particularly liked Nightsister Merrin and Trilla.
While they don't go too deep, they do have several scenes where good and bad guys debate their respective views, which typically only the best Star Wars properties do. 
The 3D Map is solid, clearly labeling where you can't go because you're missing an ability, or where you now can but couldn't before.
Level design itself is ok. 
Completion goals are labeled by map section to make it easy to find everything.
Exploring certain lore-important planets was cool, although most of them have appeared in other properties.

Bad:
Crashed multiple times on PS4. 
Frame Rate often dropped low enough to be unplayable, especially as an action RPG where parrying is required.
Fell through the map several times.
Levels are so heavily designed "as video game levels" that all immersion is completely broken.  There were like 50+ places where Stormtroopers show up that they literally couldn't get to without being Jedi to swing on vines, run across walls, flip in mid-air, or climb on normally-unclimbable vegetation (which also happens to be growing exactly where you need it, even in tombs thousands of years old).  I wouldn't be able to believe anyone lived or worked in these locations.  (This isn't a deal-breaker of course.  Nioh has the same problem, trying to mesh real life historical figures and locations with super video-gamey levels.)
Lots of enemies and bosses like to spam unblockable moves, many of which have no right being unblockable by their animations.
Command buffers are even more egregious than in Souls games, as it'll remember 2-4 moves you input and do them all in order several seconds after you pressed them, instead of correcting to your current inputs.
Had to reload 3-4 times where triggers didn't happen to open doors (or BD-1 to unlock them).
Upgrade system is pretty meh, nothing all that exciting.  Collectibles are mainly skins.

Overall it's just ok.  Cutscenes were good and interesting, some of the puzzles were decent, but it didn't feel all that fun to "play".
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 07:55:02 PM by maxbeedo »