Author Topic: Need advice on mew computer  (Read 682 times)

Disco-neck Ted

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
    • View Profile
Need advice on mew computer
« on: December 16, 2021, 08:01:02 PM »
That should read

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 26
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice on mew computer
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 11:45:21 AM »
Do you want to build or get one prebuilt?

The biggest problem you have is the graphics card.  The latest ones are difficult to get.

Disco-neck Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 02:44:25 AM »
GO is truncating my posts. Looks perfectly normal in preview but then the guillotine falls. Will try again tomorrow from a computer.

Disco-neck Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 10:59:43 AM »
Hi, Sssith!  My lovely and detailed post disappeared except for that tiny piece, and I would never have known if you hadn't commented. At first, I thought it had maybe eloped with one sock from the dryer and left its tail behind like a frightened lizard?  But it is happening systematically when posting from my iphone so let's give it a try on an actual laptop.

I have an old computer with a case that was pretty neat back around 2008, and am wondering if that case can be used with to build something new?  I haven't kept up on the technology at all, so feel free to talk to me like I'm a troglodyte.

I don't need bleeding edge video capabilities but would like a machine that won't be gasping for breath in six months. 

Edit:  the case is a Thermaltake Cyberpower BachVx
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 11:16:35 AM by Disco-neck Ted »

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 11:37:45 AM »
It has been a while since I last built a PC.  So long as the case can fit the motherboard you should be good.  Each time I have built a PC the available cases have improved with better airflow, cable handling, ease of access.  But at the end of the day getting things to fit and the importance of good airflow is the most important thing.  If you are satisfied with those things you should be fine.

Sizing the video card is probably the most important thing.  Newer ones tend to be huge.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 04:48:44 PM »
DNT: I found myself in a similar position, my last pc was from 2010.  Have you had a look at various prebuilt systems just to get an idea of what different budgets can buy?  Its also interesting to see at which price points they replace an inferior technology with better stuff. 

Stuff like "hard drives" have come a LONG way.  From the old 3.5 inch to SSD which I had in 2010 and it was amazing, tech has moved along a bit more to  what I have an NVME drive.  I have 1TB of storage but at first firing it up, I never saw a windows loading screen. I had bios then just in windows and loaded .. mind blown!
https://www.velocitymicro.com/blog/nvme-vs-m-2-vs-sata-whats-the-difference/

Yeah video cards are pricing, stupid crypto bullshit and everything wanting a microchip in it these days.  You'll know the type of things you want.  Look at recommended specs, not minimums.  Do you want this to last another 13 years?

How dusty is your old case?  Unless its super sentimental, consider a new one, no dusty, special mounts to hold the supersized video card in place.

RGB: https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-820efba31fec6ad845732536d2631693 doesn't technically improve things but looks sweet.  https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-820efba31fec6ad845732536d2631693 we have come a long way from biege bricks of computers

Do you care if its a full size thing? or you can get a very computer box with everything you'd need these days?

I got a machine with 16GB of RAM which was great .. then got another 16GB on a sale in November.

Windows 11 seems too rough around the edges for now ..

Edit: forgot to say, I also picked up a brand new monitor.  Keep in mind your existing screen would work, but I got a new monitor to take advantage of my graphics card.  It has newer options for ports and I got a curved screen which I don't even notice anymore.  You can get a large screen but doesn't take up too much space on your desk!

« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 05:28:36 PM by Timinator »

mn4nu

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 07:22:37 AM »
Newegg has sales all the time on pre-built desktops with 30 series Nvidia cards for decent prices.  It's hard to get a good video card for a reasonable price today, and those pre-built ones with them are really reasonable price-wise.  You can always go back and add another hard drive or RAM to it.  Sign up for Newegg's newsletter too.  You can get more discounts with that.

I've been waiting to upgrade my video card for so long I may go this route eventually if GPU prices don't start coming back to earth.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 08:41:06 PM »
Newegg has sales all the time on pre-built desktops with 30 series Nvidia cards for decent prices.  It's hard to get a good video card for a reasonable price today, and those pre-built ones with them are really reasonable price-wise.  You can always go back and add another hard drive or RAM to it.  Sign up for Newegg's newsletter too.  You can get more discounts with that.

I've been waiting to upgrade my video card for so long I may go this route eventually if GPU prices don't start coming back to earth.

GPU availability isn't going to get any better before 2023. Maybe late 2022 if a miracle happens.

Assuming you're not already signed up for the EVGA queue*, then your best chance of getting a GPU at MSRP is being fortunate enough to live within driving distance of a Microcenter. Your second best is watching BestBuy when they get their weekly drops of video cards and do their online thing that tries to keep bots out.

Also B&H Photo is worth checking and signing up for auto alerts.

Buying a prebuilt somewhere (preferably not Newegg) is an option.

*the EVGA queue is the greatest thing and I'll be forever an EVGA fan because of it. The queue has netted me a 3080 and three 3070s, on top of the 3080 I got last year.

mn4nu

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2021, 06:42:32 AM »
I will have to check out your suggestions Pixie.  DnT, hopefully you can find the machine of your dreams!

Disco-neck Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 01:31:52 AM »
Man, you guys are KILLING IT with the advice!  Thanks!

In particular, I was all NVME wut?!? until Tim called it out.  Oh, and wife just got a new Mac and a new iPad and she put her hand on my arm and said, "I hate to think that you are still using that old computer" so my budget just went up considerably.