Author Topic: Season 25: Shard My Pants  (Read 972 times)

Orbert

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 153
    • View Profile
Season 25: Shard My Pants
« on: December 13, 2021, 10:30:56 AM »
I've read up about the new Soul Shards, watched a few videos, and now I have a bunch, and 2 Hellforge Embers.  From what I can tell, they start with a buff and a debuff, and add buffs as you raise their level.  Also, they seem to favor melee characters, which kinda sucks for me, since I favor Demon Hunter and Wizard.

Anyway, with only 2 Embers, I'm a bit wary of using them.  I wish the drop rate was just a little higher for them.  Not a lot, but just a little, since it's a given that you'll use them up, and probably waste a bunch of them as you figure out how they work and with which characters.

But I've started my Demon Hunter.  She's got 100 Paragon Points or so, having some fun.  Haven't used any of the new Shards, though.

Orbert

• View Profile
Re: Season 25: Shard My Pants
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 09:33:09 AM »
Well, I guess it's just me this season.  I ended up adding one each to my helm and weapon, and made GR70 pretty easily.  Yeah, these things are way powerful.  But hey, it's fun.

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 11:34:40 AM »
The idea of Sharding my Pants is what is keeping me away from this season. :P

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 11:56:29 AM »
It's a pretty bad pun, I know.  But three days after the season started, there was still no thread about it (because everyone's busy playing D2R on computers much better than mine) and I had to do something.  Plus, I always thought the word "shard" sounded kinda like... you know.

Cluck Kent

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 12:20:19 PM »
I've been playing and have found tons of shards but too few consumables. Something like 25 shards but only 4 consumables and it takes 3 consumables to lvl just one shard. Even then, it's like a 1 in 10 chance you'll get the upgrades you want on the shard so you could need as many as 30 consumables or more to get one fully upgraded shard the way you want it. If I was to guess, I'd say I'm finding one for every 4 hours of game play.

I finally decided to step up and use 3 of my 4 consumables in order to raise one of the shards to lvl 3 and popped it in my bow but didn't notice the mind blowing effects we saw last season with the ethereals. Now I may have done it wrong, it may be wrong for the char, the shard may have not rolled the right attributes, I have no idea and without lots more consumables, it'll be difficult to say for sure. Hopefully they will increase the drop rates so we can play around more with them.

I've just started running higher lvl content, like T16 and GR 85ish so we'll see if the frequency increases and if so by how much.

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 03:11:51 PM »
Yeah, the RNG on the shards is crazy.  The first upgrade is known, but you have to spend 2 or 3 embers for even a chance that it'll roll the affixes you want.  If you get good rolls, sure the results are killer.  I've got one that my Demon Hunter is using and it rolled +200something to Strength, which blows.  Just knowing that that could've been Dex makes me want to do it all again, which of course means 3 more embers.

Similarly, my Barb is using one and the third upgrade is the dreaded "when you do poison damage..." and she's not doing poison damage.  Both of these took 3 embers/upgrades to get to where it's officially a waste.  The first two upgrades were fine, but just knowing that that third upgrade could have actually been useful means more grinding.  The drop rate on embers is relatively low compared to the shards, which seems kinda backwards.

Cluck Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 12:20:54 PM »
My experience rolling shards has been very similar to yours Orbert. However, now that I have been able to do higher lvl GRs, the embers are falling. In fact, I have done several GRs in the 90s and received 2 embers in one run! So at least now I've been able to roll a few more shards and finally make something useful. Don't forget that shards can be used as augments. One shard at lvl 3 is the same as a lvl 125 gem and therefore will net you an extra 625 main stat on any item. Imagine a full set with those augments, that would be an additional 7,500 main stat!

I must say I am impressed with the Monk this season. I ran a GR 107 in 5-6 minutes with only 2 gems, both of which were very low level. No augments, not a ton of paragon, and only one ancient item. Oh, and I haven't been using the more powerful version of the build, I've been using the water ally instead of the fire one. Slow, steady playstyle, not many buttons to press nor timings to co-ordinate at this level. 

A ton of guys have run it to GR 150, if I could get to 130 I'd be very, very happy. I've never had a character anywhere near that in the past, even a non seasonal char. Of course I'd have to switch to the fire ally and do the augments and the playstyle will be much more timing reliant, but it might be worth it.

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 03:00:40 PM »
Yeah, since I posted that, I managed to get up into GR 70+ and the embers are definitely starting to pile up in my stash.  Of course, that's partly because I'm still wary of using them.  I think I have six or seven now, but I have tons of shards.

I did my now-usual thing of starting with a Demon Hunter, then after she's cranked up the Paragon Points and crafting materials, start a Barb.  Barb completes the IK set and then masters the set dungeon.  First time!  So now, after upgrading gems and stuff, I've already gotten the Stash tab and am on the last leg of the Season Journey.  I need a third Conquest.  Ugh.  I hate anything that has to do with speed, so running Act I to Act V at max level in an hour is probably out.  (Also, what is "max level"?  I could look it up, but wouldn't it just be simpler if they said what it is?)  So now I'm thinking of starting up some Hardcore characters to get the Hardcore version of whatever Conquests I already have.  I know one is called The Thrill (finish a GR45 with no set items) but I don't remember the others.

I'll probably do that, then have some fun messing around with shards.

Cluck Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2021, 04:17:47 PM »
I've been blowing through my embers fairly quickly now, although saying that I currently have 4. I usually start either a DH or a Wiz depending on the opening set. This season I watched a vid about how powerful the Monk was going to be and gave that a shot out of the gate on America. Was interesting although the set wasn't nearly as good as the LoD build for quite a long time. I was actually doing T14 with the LoD Monk build before I found enough Sunwuko stuff to make it worthwhile. Now I've got Innas and it is a blast. Even though the meta uses the fire Mystic Ally, I strongly recommend using the water ally as the just destroy stuff and allow you a proper amount of time to open chests and kick corpses while they take care of the killing.

I did start a DH on Europe because with the Shadow set, just 2 pieces are enough to destroy T13.

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2021, 05:26:50 PM »
I started a hardcore DH on Americas, gonna try to get the Hardcore version of one of the conquests to help with the Season Journey.  I don't see myself mastering eight set dungeons or doing any of the speed-based ones.  He's up to Torment 3 now, soon to be Torment 4.  I forgot how Hardcore is; my first three characters lived an average of like five minutes each.  Ha ha.  Gotta take it easy.  It's a different attitude.

Cluck Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2021, 07:04:52 PM »
A different attitude indeed!

I run hot and cold on HC; sometimes it's all I want to play and others times I have no interest at all. One thing I continue to learn over and over again is how quickly I become bored trying to run higher GRs. Once it's taking 7-8 minutes, I feel like I just can't be bothered anymore.

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2021, 10:31:31 AM »
Wow, that was something!  Got my HC Demon Hunter decked out with Rapid Fire gear (my favorite skill, crossbow = machine gun) and got Super Human, the Hardcore version of The Thrill.

Something I noticed: The Legacy of Dreams gem says it works if you have no set bonuses equipped.  But the requirements for The Thrill and Super Human say you have to run a GR 45 with no set items equipped.  That was annoying, because I had some Ancient items that happened to be set items and I had to swap them out for regular Legendaries.  But I did it last night, after Christmas festivities were concluded.

This rekindled my interest in Hardcore, and I was tempted to finish up the last two achievements in Hardcore just because, but one of the achievements is to get three gems up to 70, and the thought of getting close but then dying really bothers me.  I would have wasted all of that effort.  So I've wimped out and switched back to Softcore (or whatever the opposite of Hardcore is) to get the last two achievements.

Cluck Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2021, 07:40:46 PM »
Nice job. It is tricky, remembering to have no set items equipped, I've forgotten many times.

I haven't done anything for a few days, boredom set in. Still mulling a HC character. I guess we'll see.

Cluck Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2022, 07:16:21 PM »
Thanks Orbert. Now I have 3 HC characters and they've all done a GR 100 or better.

I started with a DH because I have the most experience with that class and soon had a Gears build that could do GR 95s in 2 minutes. Stocked the larder and started a Monk all decked out with all the extra XP gear and a lvl 65 Legacy of Dreams and 4 cursed chest events later had her at lvl 70. It was the fastest I'd ever done that by a long shot. It didn't take long to find the Inna's set and then GR 100 was a doddle.

Wound up a Wizard, rinse, repeat to a full Hydra set build. I intended to move over to the much more powerful Firebirds set for the run to 100, but since I've never had much luck with that build, decided to stretch and take a chance with the Hydra Wizard and it worked out.

I'm not sure what to do now. I just ticked 800 paragon for the HC season and I'd kind of like to run that up to a 1000 but I'm not sure I could endure the boredom of sheer repetition. I could start a Barb and see if I could get a fourth class to GR100 or a Witch Doctor maybe. Or I could take a run at getting the DH or Monk to GR110. TBD.

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2022, 09:34:53 PM »
Whoa, nice job!  I might fire up another HC character.  Still trying to get my first GR 100 in softcore.  I build them up to around 75 or 80, then I'm bored and start another character.