Author Topic: Leaving one/some characters in legacy LOD  (Read 330 times)

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 16
    • View Profile
Leaving one/some characters in legacy LOD
« on: October 05, 2021, 12:50:54 AM »
It seems the main annoyance in d2r is loading times. Having at least a sorc for farming lk behind makes sense to me. Depending what you are running and where.

Anyone thinking of a mix of legacy and resurrected? Maybe by 2030 when the current tech is silly and it loads faster this won’t be a thing. 

I remember the original Diablo losing stuff from cd in the 90s was awesome slow..

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 25
    • View Profile
Re: Leaving one/some characters in legacy LOD
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 10:32:15 AM »
I imagine all the consoles are going to need to be optimized.

The load screens are not too shabby on my PC.  Of course, I do not have the option of going back to LoD.

Supermatt

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 06:17:24 PM »
Are load times on console bad? I was just thinking of getting it on the Switch today so I can play on the couch...

I spent some time yesterday rearranging storage on my laptop to free up 30gb on the SSD so I could relocate the D2R install from the SATA to the SSD and that sped things up a fair bit.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 07:03:40 PM »
Maybe just bnet is slower?

mn4nu

• THACO: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 08:15:43 PM »
It seems like the load times in single player aren't too bad anymore.  The first couple days they were kind of slow.

Melchior

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 09:45:08 PM »
Single player loading times are pretty awful for me, and my PC isn't that old (Ryzen 5 2600, AMD 5700).

I tried some Pindle runs and it was just too painful.

However I have started fresh so I am not switching back to old D2 for MF or bringing any items forward. I will probably just MF differently Pit runs, WSK/Baal runs etc. Although I'm not grailing.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 10:27:36 PM »
With a new PC hopefully coming soon and  getting the option of D2R on PC this isn't just an academic thought for me now.  At first I was just going to bring it all across but then I realised an advantage I have with legacy that I won't have in D2R.  The no TCP/IP and the fact I have a few computers that can do a (slow) MF run and also get experirence for my other characters isn't somehing I want to bypass for some of my quirky characters. In the past I leveled a wolfbarb using horrible normal attacks till I could wear class spec things.  I think this was mostly in the days before respecs

I guess these days you could just level any character up in the easiest mode then change, or some people might only have one of each class and respec as they feel like it.

I think I'll move over some of my pat/mats but leave some to help the others. 

I'm also curious what you pack rats have done with your legacy stashes? just bring the big toys? or stuff as required?

Similar to my restart on the switch, I might start off untwinked Offline SP to start and migrate one then others with time.

mn4nu

• THACO: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 03:16:36 PM »
I haven't brought anything forward yet.  I probably will at some point, but for now I'm just going fresh D2R.