Author Topic: 2021 D2 Goals  (Read 126 times)

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
2021 D2 Goals
« on: September 14, 2021, 05:23:53 PM »
So, many of you might be coming back for the first time in years.  I hope you are excited for later next week if you are starting fresh, or bringing some stuff over. 

As for me, I have my "Operation Complete Normal".  Normal is both the most fun, and the most boring parts of the game.
Runewords.  After finally getting another Sur to make Beast, I'd love to complete the following this year.  Death (just need vex), Fortitude (need Lo). and stretch goals Beta CTA (need Ohm). Infinity needs two x Ber.    None of those are NEEDED by any characters, but the last 3 would buff anyone using them.

A grailer .. Its now been the longest time between grail finds.  Previously that was 1673 days from my Horizons in 2008 and Deaths Fathom in 2012.   Its currently 1996 days and counting.   Seeing Andy coming back and getting of bunch of grailers is inspiring.  Keep it up buddy!  I've had some TC87 luck myself .. just nothing new.

Another long term wish I have a new strategy for, racking a 1.07 Cranium Basher.  I was previously looking at Nilly's temple, but its loaded with monsters, the racks aren't stable and don't think it will work.  I'm looking at the Halls of Pain which I THINK only has one set of racks, but easy to find .. and not normally full of monsters.  If I do manage to get this, then I'd finally have one of everything gold and green pre 1.10.    Only downside to that is it would stop in 1.14 if i ever get a gold thundermaul that buzz of "I have a grailer .. but not sure which one!"

But the MAIN goal of all is to make it fun, and take breaks for other games at times too. 

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 24
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 D2 Goals
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 05:31:15 PM »
I want to get a Zon to Mat in SP.  I also would like to get a Windy to Pat online.  If I am still having fun I want to get a Blizzard Sorc for MF.

From a grail stand point I would love to start fresh and see if I can get to 50%.  No clue how long it will take me to do that.  Probably much longer than one year.

Finally I would love to have a rune higher than Um drop for me.  It is possible I found 1 Ist in my day but I don't have a clear memory of that.  I do remember a Um dropping.  Not exactly a lofty goal but there you go.

Supermatt

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 05:56:06 PM »
First and foremost I aim to have fun and balance my desire to game with RL responsibilities.

I always loved the MF side of the game and building an optimised end-game magic finder is one of the things I've invested the most time in, followed by levelling characters that have been geared up but said magic finder.

Obviously drops are RNG so I have no expectations about getting anything, but will appreciate what I can find.

dave in the basement

• Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 06:54:45 PM »
If the stars align, and if some of you fine people will have Battlenet characters, my goal is to do some MPing with you.

Are we all starting on ladder and stuff?

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 08:06:41 PM »
Ladder won't be available at launch, they will launch, make sure its stable, ladder pops up a bit after that.  Keep in mind previous "ladder only" content is everywhere now.  So ladder is more about an e-peen leaderboard or future fresh restarts.

Dust

• Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 04:37:25 AM »
Find my second 15 Res all / 7% FHR jewel, and thus, complete Legacy, my assassin.

That would clear the air and let me start D2R afresh....

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 10:37:09 AM »
I will have an MP character so I will be happy to jump into games.  But Ladder doesn't hold any real interest for me at this point.  I am already starting fresh.  Ladder, to me, is about a base game where you have done everything you have wanted and are looking for way to make it feel fresh.  One of the brilliant things about D2 is that I have a lot to do before that happens.  When it does happen I will probably be ready to move onto a different game.

D3 needs ladder IMO, but D2 does not.  Says a lot about the respective strength and weaknesses of the game IMO.

As an aside, if people enjoy the rush to 99 on a fresh start that is cool.  Just not really my thing.

mn4nu

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 10:54:26 AM »
1.  Get a couple of established self-found, single player characters in D2R that can efficiently magic find and get the unique small and large charms.
2.  Continue to play PlugY and get the grail list down below 17.

The remaster will probably take up most of my D2 time.

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 02:37:59 PM »
I am still waiting to "rush" my first character to 99, much less multiples! :D

Sounds like non-ladder will be the place to be then, huh?

I'm thinking of going with a paladin, and hope I can find a Kinemel's Awl (sp?) to have some fun with.

Supermatt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 07:04:14 PM »
I will likely create a ladder character for MP, but hopefully they don't reset to often because levelling and gearing will take longer than D3...

Melchior

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 11:03:37 PM »
I'm starting 100% anew and will start with finishing the game with each character and go from there :)

Supermatt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 10:46:15 PM »
I'm starting 100% anew and will start with finishing the game with each character and go from there :)

This is what I wanted to do, but I lost patience about 2 days after Open Beta and started a handful of new LOD characters.

But I am still starting anew in that I haven't retrieved any legacy saves or stashes so am starting with a completely new grail hunt where everything needs to be found from the date of the open beta or afterwards.

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 09:14:30 AM »
Regardless of MF-ability, what are some builds that can solo hell without godly gear?

Drozz

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 06:49:46 PM »
Windy druid, trapasin, now that they've fixed the bug, cold/fire sorc, probably, hammerdin.

Melchior

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2021, 06:52:56 PM »
Regardless of MF-ability, what are some builds that can solo hell without godly gear?

Skelliemancer
Bowazon - probably with strafe, multi a bit mana heavy, elemental attack for PIs
Barb - WW, Conc, zerk might be slow with bad gear though
Paladin  - Zeal again might be slow but can do it, Hammerdin would be stronger
Sorc - cold+fire as Drozz mentioned, I like Fireball+Blizzard but Orb/Meteor is good too

Definitely NOT shapeshifter druid, they suck in Hell without good gear in my experience, Wind druid meant to work though