Poll

How would you feel about the creation of a Gamersoasis Discord and potential migration of the community to Discord?

No, keep the forums
2 (25%)
Yes, Discord only
0 (0%)
Yes, Discord AND forums
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: [Poll]Testing the water on the idea of a GO Discord  (Read 219 times)

Supermatt

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 9
    • View Profile
[Poll]Testing the water on the idea of a GO Discord
« on: August 22, 2021, 02:30:34 AM »
Hi all,

First things first, I am not trying to break up the community with this post or the suggestion of migrating the community to a different platform, I am just suggesting that we consider bringing it to more contemporary platform which can still serve many of our purposes but I think is better for instant communication and letting you know when other people are posting. The reason I suggest it is because my main game at the moment is Hearthstone and I engage with a community via Discord on my phone and I find with GO I forget to check back and don't get notified of posts and replies - the converse being you sit on the forum hitting F5.

Now, while I am not an expert on either Forums or Discord (and probably don't make use of all the features of either) there are key differences that come with their own Pro's and Con's:

Forums
Pros:
- each topic is discussed in its own thread
- ability to have a number of stickied posts in any channel
Cons:
- less portable than Discord
- doesn't send instant notifications
- (I believe cost and back-end maintenance may be more)

Discord
Pros:
- portable, can be used on phone/tablet, pc app, pc browser
- sends notifications for subscribed channels
- you can choose which channels notify you
- you can post images without having to host on a 3rd-party site
Cons:
- no individual threads for discussions within a channel
- not as easy to search for legacy posts
- only one sticky per channel, but you can create limited access or non-chat channels for useful links or posts

A GO Discord would look like this:
https://imgur.com/a/bRaS8gd

Let me know your thoughts via the poll or reply.

Love to you all <3

I hope you're staying safe.

Matt

PS. If you have anything else to add to the Pros/Cons let me know and I'll edit the post - I'm not trying to hide anything :-)

Edit: to take the screenshot of a 'GO server' I had to create a server. If you are interested in taking a look around to help you with your vote here's the link: https://discord.gg/p9gm7WB8
If people aren't interested I can delete it. It only took 5 minutes to set up.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 03:38:47 AM by Supermatt »

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
Re: [Poll]Testing the water on the idea of a GO Discord
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 03:22:11 AM »
Hi Matt. Back in the old day there was this thing called IRC. I remember spending a lot of time in there in 2004 as well as the forum.  I found the two things were quite complimentary.  There was a lot of chit chat that would have clogged up forum threads but let people communicate. Also discord has easy voice chat and streaming options too.with you. Hearing your progress. Your successes and frustrations

Discord is still improving and has threads. It can have different channels for different things and pins/search mean things might not be in front of you but you can find it.

The GO forum isnít what it was once, itís cool seeing some people come back with d2r coming. Itís not quite the resurgence we had for d3.

Generally a forum is great for planning a game.
Discussing after. Discord can be great while gaming. If you wish broadcast so others can view it. Voice chat.

I suggest we try it. It seems I wonít be playing d2r but I will play old d2 and want to play along in parallel

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 09:36:19 AM »
I'm still not sold. I like that the forum has history. We can look back at posts and threads from years ago. We can preserve ideas and information and moments. Discord feels so "chatty" and temporary. It's also ugly and tedious.

/2 cents/

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 03:01:40 PM »
Except when the forum doesn't .. I'm not sure if you've tried to go to the old backup recently?  I did .. it broke.   I messaged our friend who confirmed some shit went down and will require work on the database to try to recover it.

http://gamersoasis.net/backup/
This page isnít working
gamersoasis.net is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

Edit: Also I'd really love to be able to see the old d2sp.net stuff before GO .. but thats long gone and before the Way Back Machines archives .. some of that was the golden age of Diablo2 and its all lost. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 03:03:51 PM by Timinator »

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 04:09:58 PM »
I do have an account.  Willing to give it a try.

Supermatt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 05:58:08 PM »
I'm still not sold. I like that the forum has history. We can look back at posts and threads from years ago. We can preserve ideas and information and moments. Discord feels so "chatty" and temporary. It's also ugly and tedious.

/2 cents/

Hey, that's totally valid. Discord definitely isn't a forum and doesn't have the same ability to keep or sticky valuable content, but there are work-arounds. Like you can set up non-chat channels for posting links/guide content only etc.

Tim might be right in that a hybrid model of Discord+Forum could be good :-)

mn4nu

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 05:40:27 PM »
Seems like this place has slowed down a lot since the Discord thing started.

Supermatt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 06:18:44 PM »

That wasn't an intended outcome. I know for me personally a forum feels slow and harder to engage with actively and I suggested the Discord option as others may be in the same boat.

I feel like Discord is better for quick replies and sharing media while the Forum wins hands-down when it comes to keeping a lasting record of important information :-/

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 06:27:02 PM »
Certain content is much better here, I'm about to go post some stuff. 

Keeping a record doesn't help if people dont post in the first place ..

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 06:52:23 PM »
Well, now that it's been up a bit, I've tried to keep up on it, but mostly I feel a bit left out of things. The discord is awkward for me and makes me feel just like I feel at an IRL gathering of people - like the odd person out who catches the tail ends of conversations and never finds the right time to add anything, and if I do say anything, it gets a blank look, no response, and then people carry on with whatever they were saying. It's weirdly problematic for my social anxiety, so I'm probably going to bow out. But it looks like everyone else is having a good time with it, so yay for that :D

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 06:55:59 PM »
I like the forum side of things more.  So you are not alone.  It does seem that a lot of people have come out of the wood works for it though which is nice.

Supermatt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 09:04:32 PM »
The discord is awkward for me and makes me feel just like I feel at an IRL gathering of people - like the odd person out who catches the tail ends of conversations and never finds the right time to add anything, and if I do say anything, it gets a blank look, no response, and then people carry on with whatever they were saying.

I know what you mean. I'm a bit of a socially-awkward person myself and have experienced this in Discord. It definitely does happen, but its not always like that. Even the Discord feels pretty slow moving, but I'm optimistic things will pick up when D2R goes live.

edit: I've even had this happen on forums though, so its not necessarily a Discord-only thing.

It's weirdly problematic for my social anxiety, so I'm probably going to bow out. But it looks like everyone else is having a good time with it, so yay for that :D

I hope you can find a place there, even if you're not a regular user/poster. This community has been together for going on 20 years and we're old friends now - anyone who doesn't like the people in the GO community would have stopped coming buy years ago and I have personally been e-friends with you guys longer than all but a small handful if my IRL friends. 20 years is a long time though and many people's interests will have changed and not everyone is excited about D2R and won't want to join in the discussion about that, but we are all human and hopefully we can continue to bond over other human things.

I appreciate you can't always rationalise anxiety away I hope that it reassures you to be told that you're an essential part of this community and we, your GO friends, like you <3
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 09:35:04 PM by Supermatt »

mn4nu

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 04:24:55 AM »

That wasn't an intended outcome. I know for me personally a forum feels slow and harder to engage with actively and I suggested the Discord option as others may be in the same boat.

I feel like Discord is better for quick replies and sharing media while the Forum wins hands-down when it comes to keeping a lasting record of important information :-/

I am not against the Discord site.  I hope my observation wasn't taken as such.  I was just noticing that traffic here seems lower since it started.  I am all for different ways of people connecting.  There have been a lot of folks over there who I haven't heard from on here in awhile, which is nice to see.

Supermatt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 05:28:17 AM »
It's all good mn4nu, it was taken as an honest observation which I think is the spirit in which it was intended.

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2021, 10:56:35 AM »
Having used Discord for a couple years for TTRPG sessions, I don't particularly like it for text messages, and for voice communication in large groups it's a problem since it can't play more than a few voices at a time without cutting people out.  Even if I did join I would never talk.