Author Topic: D2R TCP/IP  (Read 153 times)

Drozz

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
    • View Profile
D2R TCP/IP
« on: August 10, 2021, 07:01:49 PM »
The latest news states that TCP/IP will not be supported in D2R. So, I have questions. Some of you have been playing this game for 20 years, so I'm hoping you can help me.

I play multiplayer with my sons through TCP/IP. Now, I understand that with TCP/IP not supported, we can't play plugy together. But how does multiplayer work on battle.net? Can we set up a game that is just the three of us? In addition, I've recently heard from some of you from the old days, and there is interest in getting our old groups together to play D2R. I think we used TCP/IP back then.

How does MFing work in battle.net? I thought I read something that you can't do Pindle runs or Pit running in battle.net, because you will get banned if you go out and back in too much. Anything to that? I don't want my only option to play to be battle.net and then get banned.

I'm excited for updated graphics, but if multiplayer doesn't work well, then I may end spending more time with plugy D2 than D2R.

mn4nu

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 25
    • View Profile
Re: D2R TCP/IP
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 07:39:33 PM »
I used to play battlenet back in the day to get the hellfire torch and anihilus charms that you couldn't get on single player.  It was super easy to get high runewords too, so it made getting some of those possible.  Anyway, yes, the 3 of you could get just make a game on battlenet and set a password for it.  One would create the game and the other 2 could join.  You can play solo on battlenet too.  The drawback to battlenet is that the maps change every time you start a new game.  Also, you can't change player settings (/players3, etc) like you can in single player.  Also, yes you could get "banned" for creating too many games in a set time period.  It was to cut down on bots or something like that.  It happened to me a few times, but the bans didn't last very long, maybe a half hour or so.  It was a long time ago so my details might be fuzzy.  It doesn't happen that often, so that should not be a deterrent for you.  All in all, if you have never done battlenet before you should try it out.

Hopefully they come out with the PlugY mod for D2R and then that will be the end all for me.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 08:53:02 PM »
Are you talking about the beta which is battlenet only or after release? If so can you link to it?

Edit: I had a look
https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo2/23688836/play-diablo-ii-resurrected-during-the-early-access-and-open-beta

Q: Will TCP/IP support be available in the Early Access to Open Beta tests?
A: TCP/IP support will not be available in the upcoming Beta or the final game. After careful deliberation, we will no longer be supporting this option as we identified potential security risks and are committed to safeguarding the player experience.

So your options are single player, or battlenet. Keep in mind Battlenet in 2021 is much different than 20 years ago. .. time till tell though.  D3 forced us to be online
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 09:54:07 PM by Timinator »

Drozz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 07:40:26 PM »
Thanks guys. It sounds like I can't play multiplayer with the same character that I play single player with. I guess on nights that I'm not using the multiplayer character, I can still farm with him, but I can't farm quickly so I don't get banned. And I have to make sure I don't get player killed in the battle.net world. I'll have to figure all this out.

KingsSpectre

• Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 07:22:22 AM »
Ah that's a bummer.  At least they won't delete your characters anymore, from what I've read.  The biggest downside is that you won't be able to use the 3rd party inventory tools (which I suspect might actually still work on the characters if not the stash?).  Flavie - take my energy!!

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 10:55:19 AM »
So we are going to need to create mule characters.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 04:35:02 PM »
Single player atma etc world fine. Battlenet you have more storage including shared stash. If you want to collect 1000 isenhearts, then yes. Depends on where you play and how much stuff you keep

Drozz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 08:27:32 PM »
Are you saying SP in D2R has unlimited stash like plugy? Or is that we can have unlimited characters so unlimited mules? I'm not sure how I see 1000 Isenharts in D2R, unless one of those two situations exists. I thought there was only a few tabs for stash on the character and a few on the shared stash.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 09:29:10 PM »
Sp can use mods. Some might need some updating. But mods mean do what you want in a way

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 11:53:23 PM »
But if we want to MP we are going to have to been on the Net.

KingsSpectre

• Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 01:48:45 PM »
As long as some of you all will be on realms, I'll probably do both.  I'll do a fresh start on-line and dig up all my 20-year-old characters for SP.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 10:44:32 AM »
Right now the only reason I can think to being off line is muling.  If I can figure out what to do about that I will be fine online.