Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 24
    • View Profile
Dune
« on: July 22, 2021, 09:18:56 PM »
https://youtu.be/ekURZ2hVlT4

Trailer 2.

I am not sure I can adequately express how geeked out I am about this movie.  I don't think I was this excited for a movie before the Lord of the Rings came out.  Grant you I didn't think Jackson could pull it off.  Somehow I do trust Villeneuve to pull this off.

Dune might be my favorite book of all time.  It competes with Lord of the Rings and Name of the Rose and a couple of others.  I have probably read Dune ten times by now.

From what little I have seen of the movie so far, I can say, it is looking fantastic.

Orbert

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 152
    • View Profile
Re: Dune
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 11:35:02 AM »
I've read Dune many, many times myself.  It's one of my all-time faves.  And unlike many, I've read the sequels as well.  When I got into the series, only the first two (Messiah and Children of) existed, and I bought God Emperor new when it came out, with the fancy first-run cover.  With each successive book, I bought it right away, read it, then upon re-reads I always start from the beginning and go all the way.  To me, the original book Dune was about Paul.  Yep, very cool story.  But as the series went on, it became more of a study into religion, history, culture, that kind of thing.  But because he knew his audience would need some kind of consistent thread, we followed the Atreides family and our buddy Duncan Idaho, and Frank kept my interest long after others had jumped ship.  So anyway, yeah, I'm a fan.

Hopefully not too much of a downer, but I'm a bit more guarded with my optimism here.  The David Lynch movie was very good in some ways, but was also "very David Lynch" in that he seemed to inject a lot of weird shit just because he's a weird guy.  The book was merely source material for him, and the movie was really all him.  Also, a few changes and additions that I didn't think were necessary.  I've also seen the extended version, which was better, but the deviations from the book were still weird and unnecessary.

I never saw the TV miniseries.  The trailers looked interesting enough, but I guess I wasn't thrilled by the fact that it would have TV-level budget and effects.  But I've heard that it's much closer to the book, and the acting mostly very good as well.

I would love to see a full-blown feature film (a la David Lynch), epic length (a la the extended version), but stick closer to the book (a la the TV miniseries).  Two trailers now, and both look pretty good.  But the trailers for Lynch's version and the TV version both looked pretty good, too.  I was totally psyched for Lynch's version, and was left thinking WTF about a lot of it.  (I guess I'm saying I'm jaded by that experience... ha!)

I'm going to stay cautiously optimistic.  I will check it out, of course, but I just can't get too excited by trailers anymore.  Burned too many times.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 12:08:46 PM »
I too have read all the books.  Hell I have even read most of the ones his son did.  Those were ok but you could just see the fall off in quality, depth, and story telling.  The second book is the one I like the least.  I find the rest of the series fascinating.

I too never watched the mini-series, I have no idea if it is any good.  The Lynch movie was a complete mixed bag, some things I loved and others fell into the other extreme.

My understanding about these movies is that he is hoping to do all the books.  But that the first book is in the bag but is divided into two movies.  Length wise that seems to be about right.

I have loved every movie of Villeneuve's that I have seen, and I think I have seen all but one.  I think he is one of the best directors going right now.  Also I think is awesome that they actually built all the sets that they filmed on.  From what I understand this movie has a lot less Blue Screen stuff going which I am happy about.

They are also doing a miniseries on the Bene Gessirit: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10466872/

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 03:05:10 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1ZDp9FEvLA

A bit more in depth, about the main characters.  It looks amazing.

Shows more than a trailer so you might not want to watch it.

syn

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 13
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 06:21:22 PM »
can't wait for this, but not watching that clip. did i hear correctly that the movie's only the first ~2/3 of the book? not sure what a satisfying stopping point would be if that's the case.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 11:31:14 PM »
Not sure where they are stopping.  I would guess when the Harkonnes take dune back.  About half way through the book.

Cluck Kent

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 07:21:34 PM »
I can't believe it's not the entire book! Bummer! Boy, I'm going to whine and complain and threaten to not see the movie before the 2nd part is released as loudly as I can until the first chance I have to see part 1.

syn

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 13
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 08:04:27 PM »
I can't believe it's not the entire book! Bummer! Boy, I'm going to whine and complain and threaten to not see the movie before the 2nd part is released as loudly as I can until the first chance I have to see part 1.

LOL yes. i guess villaneuve is working on the script for the sequel but that's as far along as it is.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 08:18:14 PM »
Supposedly he is hoping this does well as I think he wants to more of the books after the first.  I found the second one difficult to read, but I love the rest.

Orbert

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 11:15:09 AM »
I finished reading Dune again the other night, and have started on Dune Messiah.  I forgot how the norm in the old days was to try to make each entry in a series able to stand alone.  Dune Messiah starts with an interview with someone, and is followed by an encyclopedia entry, both of which provide some insight into how things have changed in the interim (Messiah starts 12 years after the end of Dune) but are really just recapping the first book so you can theoretically start with this book and have some idea what's going on.  Why would you pick up the second book in a series, at release date only a short sequel to a massive literary achievement, and read it before reading the first book?

The Amber series by Zelazny is similar.  There are two series of five books each, and the second, third, fourth, and fifth books of each series start by recapping "the story so far".  I'll give Zelazny credit for coming up with some fairly inventive ways to do it, but it's really silly IMO.