Author Topic: Season 24 - Ethereal Memory  (Read 973 times)

dave in the basement

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Season 24 - Ethereal Memory
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2021, 12:06:23 PM »
Ethereals are fun.  Crazy powerful in some ways, but tempered by RNG wackiness.  Had "Khalim's Will" (Crusader Flail) drop for my Demon Hunter, so I decided my next character would be a Crusader.  I wasn't even planning on doing one this season, but what the heck.  I used a Level 25 Gem of Ease to remove the level requirement, did the same with some Level 70 socketed helm just so I could put a huge Ruby in it, and crafted a Hellfire Ring of Strength (+45% exp, no level requirement), and even with all that, my Crusader was still a slog.  I think she made it to her 30's or so before I got bored.  Oh well.  Went back to my Wizard, who I'd started but was running rifts with my Demon Hunter to build up crafting materials for.  Wizard is doing nicely.  She's still looking for her first Ethereal.

Finished my Season Journey this morning.  Yay me.  I really need to take a break though, because I have other stuff I really should be doing.

Hit me up in game if you'd like me to powerlevel your Crusader. That's my least favorite class to level, so I can see where you are coming from.

I'm working on gathering the eths for the Necro now, and will be heading to the WD next. Thankfully I just had an Arioc's Needle drop while leveling gems on my barb, so that should help immensely. :)

Orbert

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 153
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2021, 05:01:47 PM »
Thanks for the offer.  I have stuff coming up this weekend that I really need to prepare for, then I'll be gone until next week, that's why I had to finish up my Season Journey this morning.  I can't in good conscience play much D3 when I have actual stuff to do.  But I probably will a little. ;) If the mood strikes, I'll probably play my Wizard.  But I'll remember your offer regarding my Crusader.  I'm not sure what it is about that class; everything just seems so... tedious.

Melchior

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2021, 06:19:59 PM »
Finished the seasonal journey with my necro. Ended up with an LOD Mages build that was fairly strong with an ethereal weapon. Did Years of War for my 3rd conquest as it doesn't require luck, just have to play/grind a bit.

They definitely need to make the journey longer or more difficult though, as much as I enjoy the seasons, they're getting shorter and shorter for me, and I don't really play all that much. I guess if you care about the leaderboards it might be different, but for me once the journey is done, the season is over.

I will probably switch to D2R when its fully released.

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2021, 08:04:50 AM »
Finished the seasonal journey with my necro. Ended up with an LOD Mages build that was fairly strong with an ethereal weapon. Did Years of War for my 3rd conquest as it doesn't require luck, just have to play/grind a bit.

They definitely need to make the journey longer or more difficult though, as much as I enjoy the seasons, they're getting shorter and shorter for me, and I don't really play all that much. I guess if you care about the leaderboards it might be different, but for me once the journey is done, the season is over.

I will probably switch to D2R when its fully released.

I finished the journey as well, while grinding GRs for eths. Still need all of them on the wizard and crusader.

Every time I think about them needing to extend the season journey, I remember my buddy Fett who has only gotten past the part of the set dungeon mastery once, and that was when I dragged him through it.

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2021, 11:31:23 AM »
Finally got my Hammersader to reasonable playability.  I think the problem with most Crusader builds is that the two-piece and four-piece set bonuses don't do much, so you're still slogging along with some slightly better equipment, then you get the six-piece bonus and suddenly you can kill things reasonably well.  Only then can you actually enjoy doing runs.  My Crusader started with an Ethereal Khalim's Will with some kind of bonus to Hammers, and I figured it would be a piece of cake, but it was still immensely tedious until she got the full Seeker of the Light set.  Then it got bearable.  Then she managed to get the Valor set, and another Ethereal dropped, but it too kinda sucked (honestly, I don't even remember what it was or what's on it), so she's still using Khalim's Will because it does some great damage.  But the whole thing overall feels badly balanced, because she's using a killer weapon meant for a different build.  Oh well.

Supermatt

• Cookies: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2021, 06:06:07 PM »
Hi all, I have created a GamersOasis Discord to complement the existing forum with a chat platform. Here's the join link if you're interested in checking it out: https://discord.gg/p9gm7WB8

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2021, 07:52:48 PM »
Good luck, Orbert! I finally had one of the Wiz eths drop, so once I find the other two, I'll be joining the Crusader fun with you. It'll probably be a while, though. I have the thorns set and the newish set as well, so I'll be going with one of those (probably thorns) to kick off the party. I think I have the thorns gem leveled to around 70, so that should help get a decent start.

Thanks for setting up the discord, Supermatt! I joined it, but I am super discord-illiterate, so you have been warned. :D

Cluck Kent

• Cookies: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2021, 09:12:24 PM »
In my pursuit for the ethereal recollection achievement, I found the first 18 in 14 days and was left with my least compatible character, the Necro. I probably just don't take the time to understand how to play it but to me it's much more tricky than most of the other characters to play. Most of the builds require long cool down skills with small damage windows and I haven't enjoyed any of the builds I've tried. The new set, Masquerade of the Burning Carnival is different and quite powerful but slow and plodding. I continuously get stuck in doorways and if there is more than one enemy standing there, I'm sure to get stuck behind them also.

After 7 more days playing exclusively the Necro, I had found 6 ethereals but still not the scythe.  Took a few days off and played around with my demon hunter for a few days and tonight settled in for a long night of GRs with the Necro, fresh and determined to finish it off. It dropped at the end of the first GR of the night.

It was a fun objective and I found many duplicate ethereals along the way. It was frustrating sometimes to find them and they didn't have the skill I needed for the build I had, but they were always powerful anyway. In several cases, I never did end up finding the correct skill for the class and build I was playing which was too bad.

I did salvage a few, though, and was surprised by how many souls and dbs I received for just one item so be sure to salvage what you find before the end of the season and collect the mats.

mn4nu

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2021, 04:59:14 PM »
Congrats on finding them all Cluck!

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2021, 05:03:45 PM »
gg CK! I hope to join you, but it's going to take a while!  :P

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2021, 07:45:26 AM »
I finally finished gathering all of the ethereals. I cheesed the last two wizard eths I needed, and then got the Crusader eths the traditional way. I had my first two Crusader eths drop on my 2nd and 4th GRs, so that was great! It took quite a while to get the third eth to drop, but I had fun playing the bombard build so it wasn't too bad.

Now I'm going to play a little Civilization 6 before going back to some flavor of Diablo in a week or two. Happy hunting out there!

Dave

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2021, 02:33:24 PM »
I've got four to go, after picking one up earlier today.  I'm still doing it all using the old Grind 'n' Find method.  I probably will just stick with that, because finding them all just doesn't seem like a high priority to me, although right now I don't have anything else to shoot for, which is why I'm trying to do it at all.  This morning I still had two Wizard items to find, so the decision which class to grind was easy.  Now I'm missing one each from four different classes, so it will feel "grindier".  But we do what we must.

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2021, 01:58:01 PM »
Decided to play my Crusader, because it's (still) my least favorite class, and I didn't want to get "stuck" playing it for hours trying to complete the collection, if it came to that.  That seemed like a potentially double-bad scenario.  After a GR, that lovely teal swirly showed up and I thought "Please..." and it was... a Ballista?  Yep, a Buriza-do-Kyannon dropped for my Crusader.  And of course to make matters worse, I already have one.  Demon Hunter is one of the classes for which I already have all three.

But the RNG gods were smiling on me, and it was only a few rifts later that the Caduceus (Astreon's Iron Wand) dropped.  Crusader done.  Yay.

Played my Barb next, and got the Gimmershred on the very first rift!  Flying axes.  Hmm... haven't even thought about ThrowBarbs in D3.  Is there such a thing?

Anyway, just two to go.  Still need a Wizardspike and a Gidbinn.  I'm not a huge Witch Doctor fan, but they're alright, and I do like Wizards, so I'm playing the Witch Doctor now.  Good times.

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2021, 04:42:35 PM »
Well I started a DH to fill some time while I wait for D2 to go live.

Just started Act V with her.  Died once, mainly because I am out of practice, and let myself get trapped.  Not sure if I will be able to finish the first four chapters before next Thursday.  I imagine I should be able.  I doubt I will be able to get the new set in that time to switch to the GoD build.  I will probably have my hands full figuring out the best variant for the Nat set.

Looking forward to killing Adria.  Bitch.

Oh and I found an Buriza very early on.  It carried me into Act III I believe.

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2021, 10:59:44 AM »
Man, this is getting annoying!  Hours and hours of Witch Doctor rifts and bounties, finally got an etheral drop and it's one I already have.  More hours and hours, nothing more.  Gimme Gidbinn!!

I actually looked up how to do the cheesy thing I'd heard about.  For now, I will abstain.  But if they announce the end of season is coming and I still don't have them all, I might have to do it.  It's not the achievement itself; it's the satisfaction of doing it the "right way".