Author Topic: Season 24 - Ethereal Memory  (Read 560 times)

Orbert

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 152
    • View Profile
Re: Season 24 - Ethereal Memory
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2021, 04:14:51 PM »
Also, I did the thing where I checked the requirements for Chapter III and Chapter IV and did them before completing Chapter II.  Then when she killed The Butcher or whoever it was she need to finished Chapter II, she got all three.  That was fun.

Something that's just a little bit annoying about the Ethereal weapons.  Stat-wise, they're freakin' awesome, of course.  But for the UE build, you really need a Yang's Recurve because it doesn't just boost Multishot, it also cuts your resource costs in half.  Running around shooting Multishot twice as fast but at full resource cost eats up the Hatred pretty quickly.  Cubing a Yang's gets you the damage boost, but not the resource cost reduction you would normally get with an actual Yang's.  So she had to be extra careful not to overdo it.  I kept hearing Corporal Hicks from "Aliens" saying "Short, controlled bursts".  Good advice.

I'm not sure how many builds really rely on a specific weapon for other than the Nephalem power, but UE Multishot is one of them, and you can't cube both your weapon and off-hand.  Interesting.

Cluck Kent

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2021, 07:47:50 PM »
I didn't know what I was going to do when I started a seasonal Wiz. I think the Hydra Wiz is the best T16 runner I know for my play style. However, it wasn't long before I had all 3 Wizard Ethereals and decided, what the heck, I'm going to shoot for all 21. It's been a long time since I had a reasonably worthy seasonal objective so what the heck. I've now completed 3 more for both the Demon Hunter and Barb for a total of 9.

We'll see how it goes.

I really like the Ethereals that have the right skills and even some without the right skills are very powerful, but I've had several that were pointless for the build I wanted to play. BTW, most of the ones I've found have been in Rifts and most of those were found playing on after the RG was killed.

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2021, 06:55:43 PM »
An ethereal Windforce dropped for my Demon Hunter, which solved her resource issues.  I don't know how they choose the mods on ethereal items, but this one seems almost custom-designed to solve the issues I was talking about in my previous post.  It came with 40% resource cost reduction (range was 40%-50%, same as Yang's) and +200% damage to Archery Skills, of which Multishot is one.  Her free passive is even useful (Steady Aim).  So she's using that and keeping the Yang's power in the cube as well, for insane MS damage.  She ran her GR70 easily.  Primal was useless.  I think it was Uskang or Etreyu, which I wouldn't have used anyway.

dave in the basement

• Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2021, 08:43:57 AM »
I don't know how they choose the mods on ethereal items

You get one random weapon passive, and one random class passives. Sounds like you got a great combo, which is always fun. I still need an eth Buriza on my DH, then I'll have all three DH eths. After that, on to the monk!

syn

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 13
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2021, 06:03:13 PM »
So she's using that and keeping the Yang's power in the cube as well, for insane MS damage. 

i thought i saw that the ethereal bonuses don't stack with cubed powers for the same thing, so even tho it's the same bonus on different weapons (Yang's and Windforce), it only applies once. i could be wrong. edit: nm, forgot resource reduction and MS damage were two separate bonuses on Yangs. that bonus plus 200%DH damage should work (?).

i'm debating going for all the eth weapons after all. initially thought it'd be too hard but the drop rates seem far better than i'd have guessed, and i'm pretty played out on the barb at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 06:07:38 PM by syn »

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2021, 07:50:30 PM »
You are correct, eth bonuses don't stack with the same bonus from weapons.

I don't think the eth drop rates have been too bad, as long as you spend a little quality time with the class. Of course I may change my tune after I spend forever on the WD and don't find diddly shiznit. :D

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2021, 11:53:55 PM »
I don't know how they choose the mods on ethereal items

You get one random weapon passive, and one random class passives. Sounds like you got a great combo, which is always fun. I still need an eth Buriza on my DH, then I'll have all three DH eths. After that, on to the monk!

I get the random weapon power and random class passive.  I was wondering about all the other mods; the list of mods is a mile long.  40-50% resource cost reduction doesn't normally show up on weapons other than Yang's.  I've never seen +200% to Archery skills.  +1 weapon damage per Paragon level I'm pretty sure is something they just came up with for Ethereal weapons.  And so on.  I'm sure there's an article online somewhere that lays out all the possibilities.  I'm just to lazy to Google it.

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2021, 08:38:05 AM »
The rest of the modifiers are just tacked on to make them super-powerful, as far as I've read. Every Windforce will have the same list of mods, but the ranges vary. The big roll to keep an eye out for is the damage bonus, which ranges from 75% - 100% IIRC.

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2021, 09:09:32 AM »
Ah, then they probably devoted at least some thought as to what those modifiers would be.  In my example, I like the Multishot build, but as powerful as an Ethereal Doomslinger is, it's not a great weapon for that because it doesn't have the resource cost reduction.  But the Ethereal Windforce does, which solves the problem nicely and even throws in +Damage to Archery skills, which happens to include Multishot.  So you can do a Multishot build based on the Ethereal Windforce rather than a Yang's Recurve.

With that in mind, I'm now thinking about actually finding a list to see what the mods are on each Ethereal item.  I tend not to do stuff like that, preferring to hear "about" things that are coming, but not a lot of detail.  That way, when I get one, I can be blown away by what it is/has as opposed to disappointed by what I've heard is possible but didn't get.  Since most builds are centered around a specific weapon, I'm thinking at least one of the three Ethereal weapons for that class has a selection of mods that can cover for it, so you can still have that build.  And scoring the right random Nephalem power just adds to the goodness.

Specifically, I'm thinking about the Whirlybarb, which works because you have a set of weapons that give you the fury recovery for endless whirling.  Presumably one of the Ethereal Barb weapons comes with either massive resource cost reduction or massive resource cost recovery.  I just have to find one.  I already know it's not The Grandfather.

That's right.  I was wielding one, and two more Ethereal Grandfathers, and one regular one, dropped in the same rift.  I took the picture just because I thought it was crazy to have so many in the same picture, but it actually kinda sorta fit into this conversation, so here it is.

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2021, 09:53:58 AM »
If you are pushing, The Grandfather is the way to go, even though it doesn't generate fury like the BK weapons. If I'm running normal rifts, I use the BK weapons for the speed and fury recovery, but for GRs it's The Grandfather all the way. Here is the one I'm currently using:

Edit: Turns out I can't remember how to embed an imgur image. I'll be back when I figure it out! :D

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2021, 11:47:36 PM »
So, I haven't played this game since like season 7. But I had a wild hankering, so I reinstalled it tonight.

Started up a new season barbarian (having never really played one before).

Playing through the story, on normal difficulty.

Some random schlub gave me a pretty good drop for a new level 8 character with barely 2 gold pieces to rub together...

Edit: skimming back over the thread now, I guess maybe these things drop like candy now so it's not as neat as I thought? But still, I was entertained.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 11:52:55 PM by Pixie »

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2021, 08:03:51 AM »
So, I haven't played this game since like season 7. But I had a wild hankering, so I reinstalled it tonight.

Started up a new season barbarian (having never really played one before).

Playing through the story, on normal difficulty.

Some random schlub gave me a pretty good drop for a new level 8 character with barely 2 gold pieces to rub together...

Edit: skimming back over the thread now, I guess maybe these things drop like candy now so it's not as neat as I thought? But still, I was entertained.

Welcome back! Ethereals like you found don't drop too frequently once you hit 70, but they seem to drop frequently enough to keep me/you interested. :) Feel free to hit me up in game if I can help with anything!

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2021, 12:09:57 AM »
Barbarians are a lot of fun. Who knew?

mn4nu

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2021, 12:11:10 PM »
I decided to play a little bit this season because of the ethereal items.  I started a wizard and have found 2 of the oculus items.  They are pretty powerful.  I'm just messing around this season, so no trying to get the season journey completed.  I would like to find some more ethereal items though.

Also, I'm using the firebird set on the wizard (just 4 piece for now) and it is pretty powerful so far.  I'm not sure when they changed this set, but it seems much more playable now than it used to be.

Orbert

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2021, 11:20:55 AM »
Ethereals are fun.  Crazy powerful in some ways, but tempered by RNG wackiness.  Had "Khalim's Will" (Crusader Flail) drop for my Demon Hunter, so I decided my next character would be a Crusader.  I wasn't even planning on doing one this season, but what the heck.  I used a Level 25 Gem of Ease to remove the level requirement, did the same with some Level 70 socketed helm just so I could put a huge Ruby in it, and crafted a Hellfire Ring of Strength (+45% exp, no level requirement), and even with all that, my Crusader was still a slog.  I think she made it to her 30's or so before I got bored.  Oh well.  Went back to my Wizard, who I'd started but was running rifts with my Demon Hunter to build up crafting materials for.  Wizard is doing nicely.  She's still looking for her first Ethereal.

Finished my Season Journey this morning.  Yay me.  I really need to take a break though, because I have other stuff I really should be doing.