Author Topic: D2: Merc Gear Survival Suggestions, Please!  (Read 311 times)

dave in the basement

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
D2: Merc Gear Survival Suggestions, Please!
« on: June 07, 2021, 03:59:46 PM »
Hello folks!

Zerker Thak finally made it to Hell and he is doing okay, rocking a B Star and a Djinn Slayer, but my Act 2 offensive merc dies quite frequently, so I am looking for gear suggestions. He is level 69 and is wearing G Face, Haemosu's Adamant Cuirass, and a Pierre Tombale Couant Partizan.

Any suggestions for current and future gear suggestions for the merc would be appreciated. Also, if I should switch to a different merc instead for my frenzier, please note that as well.

Thanks in advance and happy hunting! :D

Dave

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
Re: D2: Merc Gear Survival Suggestions, Please!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 04:53:22 PM »
1) get him to level 75/76 from NM Baal runs. 
1a) Remember depending on your level you can just buy one around your level if you are higher than 69
2) Life leech can be a big thing to keep them self sufficient apart from scary fights

3) sometimes you just need that next level, or next bit of gear, then never have a problem again.  push on where you can.  They do level up pretty fast

mn4nu

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 07:38:43 PM »
Level him up and get life leech!  I always liked Shaftstop and Duriels shell (cannot be frozen) for armors before you can get some runewords going for him.  Skullder's is good too with its magic damage reduction.

Dust

• Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 08:52:27 PM »
Duriel's Shell, Treachery, Gladiator's Bane, Fortitude is my usual merc armour progression.

If you have none of those, treachery is probably the cheapest option at - Shael + Thul + Lem in 3 socket armour. Don't forget you can trigger fade by standing your merc in a fire (easiest place is Act 4 river of flame waypoint)

G Face is a decent merc helmet, but you might need something more defensive until you get his armour upgraded. Vamp Gaze and andariel's visage ar obviously best in slot, but anything with leech and DR is helpful.

I tend to run honour for the weapon until I have access to something good - and don't forget that once you have life leech eth weapons improve your merc's surviviability by 50%. The base damage from Pierre Tombale Couant is ok, but you could trade some of that for useful mods, so i wouldn't stay attached to it.

1a) Remember depending on your level you can just buy one around your level if you are higher than 69

I wouldn't do that as a general rule, what with Mercenaries that level with you being better than mercs you buy later, even if it did help in the short term.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 08:54:55 PM by Dust »

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 10:33:58 AM »
Thanks so much for the suggestions, folks! I do have a Duriel's Shell, so I'll give that to him. I'll check for some decent life-leach weapons, as well.

I have been wanting to create an Honor weapon, so I'll give that a shot, too.

Thanks again, and please report back should inspiration strike! :D

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 10:57:53 AM »
I don't have much to add to the above than to re-suggest NM Baal runs, and then spending a decent amount of time in the Hell Act 1 Mausoleum.  It's a lvl 85 area with only basic undead (all lightning immune) with a lot of choke points to prevent your merc from getting overwhelmed, and you might get some endgame stuff out of there.  The Pit later on in Act 1 can also work but there tend to be a lot of ranged attackers there that can focus fire.

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 09:27:15 AM »
I don't have much to add to the above than to re-suggest NM Baal runs, and then spending a decent amount of time in the Hell Act 1 Mausoleum.  It's a lvl 85 area with only basic undead (all lightning immune) with a lot of choke points to prevent your merc from getting overwhelmed, and you might get some endgame stuff out of there.  The Pit later on in Act 1 can also work but there tend to be a lot of ranged attackers there that can focus fire.

Thanks for the Mausoleum tip, Max! I'll definitely check it out. Cheers!

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 01:26:17 PM »
For the L85 areas, should I be doing full clears, or just bee-lining to the sparkly chests?

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 01:44:33 PM »
I don't think sparkly chests follow the same pattern as monster levels.  I believe most of the chests in act 1 are capped at TC66, so pretty low compared to the monsters themselves, although you might still get some useful stuff.

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 02:18:55 PM »
I don't think sparkly chests follow the same pattern as monster levels.  I believe most of the chests in act 1 are capped at TC66, so pretty low compared to the monsters themselves, although you might still get some useful stuff.

Excellent. Thanks again!

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 03:10:27 PM »
in L85, most people kill bosses and move on leaving the other.  if you are leveling minions are good exp

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 05:36:44 PM »
I'm still working on leveling, so I kill bosses, minions, and anything that dies quickly. Anything else I try to avoid.  :P

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 05:38:05 PM »
Open Evil Urns.

That is the secret.

dave in the basement

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 07:31:47 PM »
Open Evil Urns.

That is the secret.

In Sssith we trust!

Dust

• Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 08:52:35 PM »
For the L85 areas, should I be doing full clears, or just bee-lining to the sparkly chests?

For MF efficiency, players 1, kill the bosses, move on.

For your sanity, just play through and kill what you please, but don't sweat missing plain monsters. I like players 3 ancient tunnels myself.