Author Topic: New Computer "Theorycrafting"  (Read 720 times)

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
New Computer "Theorycrafting"
« on: November 23, 2020, 10:15:04 PM »
Things have changed a bit, and next year may well be the year I get my next new machine.  I'm horribly out of date on things.  I remember that website logical increments being quite useful around tiers and setups.  However I feel I'm a bit blind to "why" they make some of their choices.  Whats the benefit of some stock parts, vs spend an extra $50 or $200 for next bits up.

If I'm doing this properly I should probably get a new everything.  My current screen on my old PC was a bit old when I got it. 

I'll have a look around local pricing as things change a bit.

AMD/Intel for CPUs (I've never actually overclocked anything)
Motherboards? Does it really matter? Ideally I'll look for something that doesn't limit me to small numbers of RAM slots.  I don't normally get too much expansion stuff ..
RAM, whats minimum vs decent for the future? speeds?
RGB? lol?
Graphics?
HDD options?
Get a screen with all the Hertz and all the curves?
PSU?

Ideally I want to do VR, that alone has a few options

What do you think I should start dreaming about?

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 24
    • View Profile
Re: New Computer "Theorycrafting"
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 10:31:42 PM »
I would start with understanding what you want to spend on a GPU.  Start with that and build around it.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 03:51:19 PM »
as a benchmark, what i've paid for in the past, if i went to buy one today it would get me a 2060 or Radeon 5700 XT to give you an idea.  How do they look these days?

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 06:01:48 PM »
It's hard to talk today about something to buy next year. Shit changes fast.

AMD vs Intel: AMD is pretty much king right now, though Intel does better at single-threaded stuff. AMD just dropped the Ryzen 5xxx cpus which are nutso awesome.

RAM: 16 is bare minimum now. 32 is what I'd recommend.

HDD: Anything less than an NVME drive is throwing away money. NVME is the way and the light. A 1tb NVME is super affordable. 2tb is becoming reasonable.

Graphics: Nvidia and AMD *just* released new gen stuff that is blowing the socks off previous stuff. Major huge generational gap here. Also super hard to actually get your hands on. AMD is a bit better for pure raster performance, but as soon as stuff like raytracing and DLSS is factored in, they're not even really comparable. As an AMD fan: go Nvidia for now. But anything less than a 3xxx card is not advised. 3060s should be coming out not too far off and that should be a really sweet spot for price-performance while still getting all the eyecandy.

Monitors: high refresh is good - at least 144hz. I hate curved (ymmv). 1440p is the sweet spot for resolution. You can do with less if you must, but if you want to go higher you're gonna need to fork out for the GPU to push it. IPS panels are my favorite. VA can sorta look good, but avoid TN. HDR is awesome but pricey. Gsync is *amazing* but crazy expensive, but freesync is less so and increasingly compatible with Nvidia GPUs.

Motherboard: matters, but how much so depends on what you're doing. A B550 mobo will be the most cost effective (assuming AMD CPU) and do everything you'll probably need.

PSU: depends on everything else. Stick to good brands and don't cheap out. Get enough wattage to match your use (EVGA and others have calculators on their websites you can use as guidelines).

VR: I can't begin to talk about what's needed here. I've not looked into it at all. I assume this means bigger, beefier GPU though.

There's my initial 2 second response... Hope it helps to start...

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 06:21:44 PM »
GPU wise. I just got a GTX 3070 for 499.  Pricey, but the the 2070 was basically the same price, so no point in getting one until the price drops.  If you can wait for the 3060 to come out that would be best.  The last generation won't have the latest support for the new goodies which are now being supported by new games.

Kasferatu

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 03:47:17 PM »
I agree with pretty much everything Pixie said but two places I would say otherwise:

• Anything over 144hz on a monitor is a waste right now.  You will barely feel a difference above 144hz and you will need an incredibly expensive CPU to push the amount of frames to the GPU to support it.  I really don't think the cost/value is there for this.
  • Nothing right now is going over 16gb game wise, and looking at the RAM in the latest generation of consoles I don't expect anything to push over 16gb RAM in the near future.  That is unless you want to play a game and keep 50 chrome tabs open in the background  ;D

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 04:38:56 PM »
unless you want to play a game and keep 50 chrome tabs open in the background 

Are there people who don't do this? :P

I'm half serious. Do you close all your background stuff? I have Chrome running (right now with 15 tabs) while I'm gaming, Steam running (with the Steam overlay and sometimes also, for example, the Ubi overlay), a 2nd monitor showing various chat windows, plus whatever else is just "running" and doing its thing.

16gb is bare minimum for a PC being built right now. It would be silly to build with less. And more will certainly be needed before you get around to building the next system. So why not get it now? Windows will happily use it, even just to cache stuff so it opens faster.

Kasferatu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 02:49:05 PM »
Nah I don't close everything and I'm still not even close to using up my RAM.  I don't think 16gb is going to be a problem in the next 4 years - but RAM is pretty cheap these days so if you can afford it there's no harm in getting 32gb.  I'd just prefer to spend that money on other components.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 05:38:57 PM »
While playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla just now:

And that's not the most demanding game in existence. In 2 weeks, Cyberpunk will probably be brutal by comparison. And games in the next two, three years? Not to mention that I'm sure there's a lot of things people do with their PCs that use even more RAM than gaming. If I were still heavily into modding and doing stuff with Blender I bet that would eat it up.

Nah, I'll stick to recommending people get 32gb for now. If you have it, Win10 will use it, if only to cache shit so it opens faster.

:)

Kasferatu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 05:50:49 PM »
32 gb doesn't even make it onto the Cyberpunk recommended specs at the top end: https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/cyberpunk/pc/sp-technical/issue/1556/cyberpunk-2077-system-requirements

I'm confident I won't have a problem in 2-3 years with consoles where they are at - but I don't do a lot beyond gaming and browsing the web.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 07:29:24 PM »
It doesn't for AssCreed Valhalla either, and yet, here we are. :D

Kasferatu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 04:55:48 AM »
Everyone knows Ubisoft games are hot trash for optimisation on PC - Sorry Godji  ;D

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 08:43:48 AM »
To be fair, you're not wrong. Even with a 3080 I get pretty unimpressive performance in Valhalla... Sure it'll crank out 100+ fps, but it is horridly inconsistent and will drop to single digits while benchmarking.

... probably just needs more RAM. 8)