Tech & Gadgets > PCs

Old Computer Quandry

(1/16) > >>

Sssith:
I was happily playing Witcher 3 when my computer blue screened.  Now when I power it on the fan spin but nothing else.  Not sure what to do next.  If I hand to guess it would be motherboard problem (short, burnout), power supply failure, video card.  I would guess one of the first two.

I am going to try to figure out how old the computer is but I would guess close to five, certainly more than three.

Any suggestions welcome.

Pixie:
Sudden death, ouch. 3-5 years isn't super old.

PSU seems likely for a sudden death, but the blue screen bit is weird. I'd expect PSU failure to be an instant shutdown. CPU death could do this, I suppose.

Can you give your mobo a good look-over for any swelling/blown capacitors?

Do you have any spare parts that can be swapped in for testing as needed?

Sssith:
I do have some parts that I can try.  I'm planning on opening it up later today.

I looked up the last time I did a build and it was 2014, so six years old.  It has an Fury R9 which also matches the time frame for 2014.

The screen glitched, in the corner of the screen I saw a blue screen and then it just shut down.  Your point about a PSU just shutting off makes sense which seems to point to Motherboard or CPU.  Neither of which is good.

Pixie:

--- Quote from: Sssith on October 19, 2020, 03:42:30 PM ---I do have some parts that I can try.  I'm planning on opening it up later today.

I looked up the last time I did a build and it was 2014, so six years old.  It has an Fury R9 which also matches the time frame for 2014.

The screen glitched, in the corner of the screen I saw a blue screen and then it just shut down.  Your point about a PSU just shutting off makes sense which seems to point to Motherboard or CPU.  Neither of which is good.

--- End quote ---

Okay, I'm gonna vote for dead GPU. The screen glitchy thing suggests it, and when my kid's GPU died last year, it wouldn't do any more than spin the fans when we tried to start it, which sounds like what yours is doing. Not sure what about a dead GPU causes that, but in this case it did.

So, in order of likelihood, I say GPU -> CPU -> Mobo -> PSU.

Sssith:
I have an old nvidia card.  Currently running Radeon (obviously I would guess given the Fury R9 comment above).  I assume putting in the old GPU will at least allow me to boot if it works.  Even if it starts in VGA, because of no drivers, that should be able prove it is or isn't the cause.

edit: Actually, if I take out the GPU it should switch to integrated.  I think I will try that first.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version