Author Topic: The Mandalorian  (Read 958 times)

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 15
    • View Profile
The Mandalorian
« on: December 09, 2019, 07:53:27 PM »
So who is watching it?  I found the 5th episode a bit slow and didn't really seem to push the story along much compared to the others. I'm glad its not a 20 episode run at this point, but will be interesting to see where it ends up.

mn4nu

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 25
    • View Profile
Re: The Mandalorian
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 04:39:04 PM »
I've been watching it.  It seems like the episodes need to be 1 hr as opposed to 1/2 hr.  It's OK, but I'm not super impressed.  Baby Yoda is pretty sweet.

dave in the basement

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 01:24:58 PM »
I'm digging it, and the wife is enjoying it, so that's a nice bonus. We need to watch episode 5 and we'll be all caught up.

I'm hoping he gets an IG-XX teammate at some point. :D

syn

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 13
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 09:55:32 AM »

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 11:39:15 AM »
I don't love the Mandolorian but I am enjoying it and it was nice to see what they did this season.

If Abrams actually said that he is more of an idiot than I realized.  I really hate what they did with Luke's character in the last three movies.

Melchior

• Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 04:50:13 PM »
We have been watching this as a family and we all love it!

A couple eposiodes were a bit slow, but overall the stories have been interesting with plenty of funny moments. Amazingly well crafted, pretty excited for the spinoffs that are coming

Cluck Kent

• Cookies: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 09:32:46 AM »
I just stared watching a couple of weeks ago and just started season 2 last night. I really like it, but I'm easy to please. Seems very intimate vs the grand, sweeping scale of the Star Wars movies.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 06:12:09 PM »
Just finished binge-watching this.

This, this was amazing. It stuck the ending perfectly. It redeemed the franchise after so much that had gone wrong in the movies. Also, goosebumps at the end. So many goosebumps.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 10:29:30 PM »
I
TOLD
YOU
SO

and without spoilers

glad you've seen it now :)

Orbert

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 01:51:59 PM »
I really like this show.  They've done a lot of things very well, but one thing I like to call out is how well all the characters from other Star Wars lore (the animated stuff, books, games, etc) are incorporated.  I knew who Ahsoka was because of chatter on other boards, but I've never seen either of the animated series.  So I didn't know either her or Bo-Katan previously.  On screen, we got enough to know who they were and how they fit into the story of The Mandalorian.  That's all that matters here.  But for those familiar with them, there was extra payoff.  References to things that have others going "Ha, I caught that!" are great, yet I never felt like I was missing out on something important.  It's all just part of the greater universe.

Even when a certain Jedi showed up at the end of Episode 16, literally everyone knew who he was, yet he was never named on screen.  He's just the Jedi who answered Grogu's call a few episodes ago.  With any luck, we'll find out more about him later.  You could watch this show without having seen any Star Wars properties before, and it still holds together.  Yet practically every scene in every episode is packed with references to other stuff that different people are familiar with.  If someone said that it's literally impossible to list all the Easter Eggs in this show, I'd believe them.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 04:12:21 PM »
I really like this show.  They've done a lot of things very well, but one thing I like to call out is how well all the characters from other Star Wars lore (the animated stuff, books, games, etc) are incorporated.  I knew who Ahsoka was because of chatter on other boards, but I've never seen either of the animated series.  So I didn't know either her or Bo-Katan previously.  On screen, we got enough to know who they were and how they fit into the story of The Mandalorian.  That's all that matters here.  But for those familiar with them, there was extra payoff.  References to things that have others going "Ha, I caught that!" are great, yet I never felt like I was missing out on something important.  It's all just part of the greater universe.

Even when a certain Jedi showed up at the end of Episode 16, literally everyone knew who he was, yet he was never named on screen.  He's just the Jedi who answered Grogu's call a few episodes ago.  With any luck, we'll find out more about him later.  You could watch this show without having seen any Star Wars properties before, and it still holds together.  Yet practically every scene in every episode is packed with references to other stuff that different people are familiar with.  If someone said that it's literally impossible to list all the Easter Eggs in this show, I'd believe them.

Yeah, all of this. As a lore geek, I adored so many of the little touches.

I never heard of Jon Favreau before this. Am a fan now, I think.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 05:45:05 PM »
did you ever watch early MCU work? The first Iron Man movie?

Orbert

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 06:47:59 PM »
What I see with Favreau is a huge respect for the source material, be it Star Wars, Marvel, or Rudyard Kipling, and it always shows in his movies.  And Dave Filoni is a walking Star Wars encyclopedia with a complete love for the material.  Everybody working on this show is great, but Dave and Jon really take it to the next level IMO.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:11:24 AM by Orbert »

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2021, 07:44:40 PM »
did you ever watch early MCU work? The first Iron Man movie?

Not that I know of. Not really into superhero shit.

Pixie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 07:47:09 PM »
Incidentally, if you've never watched it, The Clone Wars is worth watching. Some fantastic stuff in there.

And Ahsoka's story arc through all the canon material is just amazing.