Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 20991 times)

syn

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 13
  • aka Salem
    • View Profile
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #165 on: January 28, 2021, 09:32:06 PM »
keeping up with the expanse. so far a weaker season than the previous few, but still 'must watch' TV for me. can't binge with the weekly episode releases.

watched the queen's gambit with my wife. very good. wife hates chess, but she loved the show. short at 7 (?) episodes.

we were trying to keep up with the current season of star trek discovery but have been an a bit of a hiatus after the mirror universe episodes. i liked the first 2 seasons quite a bit, but so far this one hasn't caught me. we'll probably get back to the show eventually.

we also watched the first episode and a half of wandavision. even allowing for a slow build and obviously gimmick episodes to start, just painfully bad. not sure if/when we'll get back to this one.

just finished chernobyl, the miniseries from hbomax that came out a year or two ago. wife passed on this one, and after i finished it, i think i'm glad she did. the show's very well done, but more horrific than anything i've seen in ages.

looking at this list and thinking we should cut a streaming service... supposed to save money by cutting cable, right?

Godji

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 07, 2021, 12:46:08 PM »
For some of our most recent movies and shows:

Queen's gambit. Unoriginal opinion here, we indeed liked it a lot, very well built, and impressive performance by Anya Taylor Joy.
Knives Out: It was fun, and I love how it breaks the classic "whodunnit" structure. Incredible casting, sometimes a bit under-exploited, but still a very fun watch.
Cobra Kai. Loved the first season, we feel that some of the characters brought in the second season kind of bring the whole show down for a while, but second half of the third season becomes great again. Definitely eager to see what's next.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2021, 06:30:10 PM »
Just watched Raya and the Last Dragon

I am blown away. I could rewatch it immediately. It might be (in my opinion) the best Disney movie ever.

So.Damn.Good.

Right in the feels, too.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 06, 2021, 08:59:09 PM »

we also watched the first episode and a half of wandavision. even allowing for a slow build and obviously gimmick episodes to start, just painfully bad. not sure if/when we'll get back to this one.

We started Wandavision late and just finished it.  Yeah those first episodes are .. different.  A different decade, a different show influencing the style of that episode, but you've just had an extended entree of bread, and the main course is just around the corner.  I recommend you get back into it.  Much more stuff, more characters, more wanting to see the next episode etc.  And only 9 episodes in the whole run.

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 08, 2021, 10:02:20 PM »
Finally watched Ralph Breaks The Internet, and it was way better than I was lead to believe.  The Ralph/Penelope chemistry worked really well in the first and they lean hard on it here and it works in a pretty heartwarming way.  I had heard having all the Disney Princesses in the film was awkward but they actually made fun of them and most Disney properties, and overall it stayed pretty true to the themes of the first.

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 10, 2021, 10:41:56 AM »
Finished Expanse which was great.  Watching Netflix's 'The End of the F*** World' which is interesting.  Re-watching Battlestar Galatica which is fun.

dave in the basement

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 04, 2021, 05:12:34 PM »
My son and I watched Tenet (2020) over the weekend. I think I'll need to watch it a couple times to get everything I missed the first time around. Lot o' moving parts in that one.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 04, 2021, 07:30:51 PM »
My son and I watched Tenet (2020) over the weekend. I think I'll need to watch it a couple times to get everything I missed the first time around. Lot o' moving parts in that one.

Yes, I bought the BluRay for this purpose. there are also some great diagrams of what happens at points of the movie https://scifiempire.net/wordpress/tenet-explained-nolans-brilliant-time-inversion-revealed/ spoilers in there of course, but it can help you appreciate it from a different angle.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 05, 2021, 09:59:58 AM »
Just finished Battlestar Galatica.  I was surprised by how much I didn't remember.  Overall it is a great show.  There are somethings which are annoying in the show but for the most part it is top notch.

The religion/fate aspect that runs through the whole story can be a bit much.  But they do an excellent job of developing characters.

I have also been watching Resident Alien which is just full of win.  Very enjoyable.  The tone of the story slips from time to time but I fully recommend watching the show.  I think the first season is over.  I will know for sure when a new episode doesn't drop on Friday.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 10:01:35 AM by Sssith »

syn

• aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 12, 2021, 05:35:30 PM »
the tomorrow war; alien x starcraft x terminator, directed by a michael bay copycat and with some annoying political commentary thrown in. interesting premise, terrible script. somehow it still ended up being a net positive.

most of the way through Loki; doesn't disappoint for those that like the MCU.

finished Mare of Easttown; good well acted mystery, though was predictable to a degree.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 14, 2021, 11:33:46 AM »
I have been watching The Handmaiden's Tale with the wife.  Very good show.  But probably one of the most depressing shows I have ever seen.  Despite that I still recommend watching it.

mn4nu

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 14, 2021, 06:13:00 PM »
Over the past month or two I've watched Mare of Easttown, all the Downton Abbey shows plus the movie, Gunpowder (Gunpowder plot miniseries), and John Adams.  I liked all of them.  I never thought I would have watched, or liked, Downton Abbey, but my wife started watching it and I got hooked.  I did like the The Crown too, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

syn

• aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 24, 2021, 08:20:31 AM »
season two of ted lasso just started.

syn

• aka Salem
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 19, 2021, 10:44:55 AM »
all in for this. premiers sept 24.

Foundation - Official Final Trailer

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 19, 2021, 11:34:03 AM »
F*!

I love the foundation series.

The scope of those books always blew my mind.

Problem is that I don't have Apple TV.