Games > Diablo (now with Diablo 4 Hype)

Question about Goblin drops

(1/3) > >>

Orbert:
I was chasing a Gem Collector, and he was running around dropping the occasional gem as me or one of my pets hit him, and eventually he leads us into a pack of champions.  I danced around them and kept after the goblin, but he's freakin' manic and running all over hell, dropping gems the whole time.  He leads us to a yellow guy and his friends, and I figured the XP from the elite pack is more important than the gems, but I kinda tried to kill them all at the same time.  Walls, plague, the usual chaos, and gems still dropping.

At some point the blue guys caught up with us and I decided to just kill the elites and settle for whatever gems were lying around.  I mean, there were a lot, at least a few dozen already.  But afterwards, I look and there's no message saying that the Gem Collector has escaped, so I followed the trail of gems, and there he was, having run into a dead end.  I killed him, and expected the explosion of gems to be noticeably smaller because he'd already dropped so many, but it seemed about the same as usual.  I then followed the trail back and collected (I'm guessing) another 20 or 30 gems spread around the area.

So now I'm wondering, is the "death drop" fixed, or is it affected by how many he drops during the chase?  And if not, then why not chase him for the next ten minutes or so, hitting him occasionally so he doesn't escape, and eventually scoring ten times as many gems as you would've if you'd just killed him right away?  I've had the same thing happen with Odious Collectors.  The amount of crafting materials they drop doesn't seem diminished by how many they've dropped during the chase, so why not drag out the chase longer and get more stuff?

mn4nu:
I think the death drop is fixed.  Yes, you could just let the gob run around for awhile and drop more stuff, but we're talking about a very small amount of gems or blue/yellow crafting mats that you'd be spending 10 minutes on.  It's just not worth the time wasted on it, at least for me it isn't.

TheMikrobe:

--- Quote ---why not chase him for the next ten minutes or so, hitting him occasionally so he doesn't escape, and eventually scoring ten times as many gems as you would've if you'd just killed him right away?
--- End quote ---

I've thought about doing this, I think you would probably get more items than spending the equivalent time on killing random monsters, especially for Gem Collectors. But I'd get a bit bored sheparding the gob around, and also even if I've got a good number of drops I really hate it when they escape so I wouldn't want to risk it! I've never been so desparate for materials to make it worth considering.

Orbert:
Ah, that's true, the Odious Collectors only drop blue and yellow during the chase.

Gems are different, though.  During seasons, I tend to run out of them, because I usually do two or three characters, so getting all of those Flawless Royal Gems (I think that's what they're called, the fancy square ones) takes a lot of raw materials.  If prolonging the chase means getting twice as many materials or more, I'm game, as long as I think I can eventually kill him.

syn:
do bounties (the boss chests in particular) with the helm that double drops gems, then use conversion recipes as needed. easy peasy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version