Author Topic: GOTY 2021 Lists  (Read 398 times)

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
GOTY 2021 Lists
« on: December 23, 2021, 12:19:46 AM »
Heh, like most years, I didn't end up playing a lot of brand new games, just caught up on ones I've heard about or got for free on PS+.  Part of that is not having a next-gen console, and that might still be the case for the next 6-12 months.  Hopefully I can find a PS5 eventually.  Here's what I played (in parentheses what year it came out):

Persona 5 Strikers (2021) - Platinumed.  Having platinumed P5, P5R and P5D, I was kinda already all-in on this, and that's without even knowing that it was actually a sequel, touching on many things from the original game (sometimes too much) while also switching gameplay genres successfully.  Great music and arguably even better character development because the cast (including new characters) are all introduced early so they have time to grow together.  Antagonist was super interesting and relatable to me in a way than literally 0 reviewers anywhere on the internet mentioned.  Would be my GOTY but it's the only 2021 game I've completed.

Yakuza: Like A Dragon (2020) - Platinumed.  Also switches gameplay genres (from brawler to JRPG), albeit somewhat less successfully.  Too much grinding required because of too little rewards from battles kept it from being great, as the story and cutscenes were solid.  I didn't connect with the characters as much as other Yakuza games, but they're still very good.

Nioh 2 (2020) - Platinumed.  Difficult combat with some pretty tough roadblocks early, but once it clicked the rest was much easier.  Weapon, ability and monster varieties were expanded, although loot management still takes waaaaaaaaaay too much time (a larger percentage of the game than D2).  Very weird mixture of actual historical figures and locations and super video game-y level design and gameplay.

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order (2019) - Platinumed.  Runs terribly on PS4, with various bugs and massive framerate issues.  Characters are great, and the Metroidvania 3D map is one of the best ever, clearly labeling what you've missed and where you can and can't go based on abilities you've learned.  Didn't wow me, but an improved sequel would still interest me.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (2019) - Platinumed.  One of the best stories in any video game I've ever played.  Beautiful art, with tons of sci-fi concepts I love, and is somehow told with perfect pacing despite you having some control over what order you play the character stories in.  RTS gameplay is somewhat fun and tactical though wasn't really a challenge until the final two missions.  Highly recommended.

Hollow Knight (2017) - 75% trophies.  Pretty good metroidvania, with a freaking gigantic map, though finishing it wasn't really that satisfying, nor was the combat all that enjoyable to me (mainly from being fairly limited), mainly because it's a really long game.

Borderlands The Presequel (2014) - 74% trophies.  Kinda surprised me how much the low gravity, blue/space-y aesthetic and oxygen mechanics actually made it more enjoyable than 1 or 2 to me, although sacrificing the story somewhat (their attempt to make Handsome Jack sympathetic didn't work for me).  Final boss of the Claptrap DLC was easily my favorite boss in the series.

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age (2019) - Platinumed.  Has a few really great character moments spread across a much too long game (this version being like 50 hours longer than the original release).  Gameplay a little too simple for my liking, but it is very pretty, and obviously being a turn-based RPG makes it a great podcast game.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (2019) - Platinumed.  Has several design flaws, and is pretty limiting on options for combat, but you definitely feel the satisfaction of going into a fight afraid, not knowing what to expect, and after X tries can beat bosses without taking any damage, walking right up to them and countering every single attack.  Characters are interesting, lore is superb with several Japanese historical and mythological references, and it's a spectacle to behold, especially in combat.  Search up "Sekiro no HUD cinematic" videos to get an idea.

I spent about 3 months getting back into Starcraft 2, playing lots of custom campaigns and arcade stuff.  I've technically started Disco Elysium, and have Lost Judgment downloaded and ready to start, which I'll probably start tomorrow as I'm done with work for the year (company gave everyone next week off with pay).

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 26
    • View Profile
Re: GOTY 2021 Lists
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 12:28:15 PM »
The year of the ARPG for me.

Path of Exile -- over 600 hours and I still feel like there is a ton to learn.  Ultimately this game disappoints.  So Many things done well, but the constant need to respec after a season is tedious.  The constant nerfing of things you have is beyond annoying.

Diablo 2 Resurrected -- This has been a bit of a joy to play again. I have put many hours into the game and have been doing well.  Over 70% down with the grail and one Sur short of Infinity.  I have been surprised that this game is still this engaging.

Black Messa and Half Life - I replayed all the HL games, starting with Black Messa (the redo of the original).  It was a ton of fun.

Death Standing - Gorgeous -- but tough to get invested in the game.  I will give it another try.

Metro Exodus -- good game, which falls short of being truly memorable.

I started the year playing Cyberpunk and Control.  Both good games that I would recommend.  I was hopeful that Cyberpunk would get fixed.  It seems that you need to do the community modding to get that experience.  I will probably try it out at some point.

So game of the year for me is D2R. 

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 12:32:24 PM »
GOTY 2021? Life is Strange: True Colors, hands down, no contest.

Cyberpunk was damn good fun, if you're part of PC Master Race. Definitely not recommended on console.

D2R loses all its points by being made by Blizzard, who deserve no support and no dollars.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 12:34:00 PM by Pixie »

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 08:58:06 PM »
I don't really care when a game was released, some were played for the first time, some a continuation.   My gaming experience of the year wasn't so much software as Hardware when I finally bought a new gaming pc in over 11 years.  Also real life stuff was messed up.

In terms of games played.

Continuations:
Super 3d Noah's ark. This was made from the wolf3d engine, so old as shit. Did some more challenges I hadn't finished, still have some big ones to do.

Masked Shooters 2: A crappy FPS where you shoot bots.  I got it to 100% achievements, just needed a small bit of relief.  Probably won't play it again.

Masked Shooters: I picked up the first game cheap, repeated the experience.

Black Mesa: Like Sssith mentioned, its a sweet as game, and on the new PC runs amazing.  I got 100% achievements here, including the "carry object through game" stuff which is both awful and rewarding.  Only had one achievement that was a pain in the end, but a mixture of reading other peoples frustrations and some good thinking I got past it.  Would be in my top 5.

Left 4 Dead 2: Due to a large update in 2020, I replayed it and it was amazing how much game specific knowledge I'd forgotten.   It was a bit easier later on my new PC but showed me I want to capture some videos of myself for later.

Frankenstein, Master of Death.  I went back to a HOG where i'd missed an achievement. 

Faerie Solitaire Harvest: My 3rd of these games, sometimes I just need a card game I can start for a few minutes, or 20.  I'm now up to a point there are just long grinds left in it.

Bridge Constructor Portal: This is a bit of an odd game, the controls seem a bit clunky.  I've had a few starts and stops in it.  Got up to a level fairly early on and just seem stuck.

Walking Dead Games: I seemed to play a few in a row, they are all sort of the same.  I have the last game in the series .. accidentally saw a spoiler and haven't played it yet.  I did play these ones though. Season 2, Michonne, A new frontier. 

Secret Agent HD: Definitely in my Top 5 games.  I loved the old 2D Apogee platformer, so was quite excited they released a new one.  Had a new episode with increased difficulty, steam workshop and level editor.  Managed to get 100% achievements.

Monster Bash HD/Crystal Caves HD: I'm lumping these together as I played a few levels, will probably do more this year.  Not quite the nostalgia of Secret Agent though.

Quake:  Top 5.  Unexpected new engine, new episode for the 25th anniversary!  At first the game wouldn't run on my old potato.  I managed to find a command line to get it going was was able to go back through things i'd played many times and get Steam Achievements.  Something I'd been wanting for ages.  The fact it was free was sweet.  Having them change the monster AI in Nightmare pissed me off a bit.    Getting a chance to finish it off in the new pc, especially that new episode was a great gaming moment of the year.

Fable Anniversary: Started this with my kids, only in the early days.  Back in the day I finished the game.

Serious Sam 4: Could only really buy it once I got my new PC, I think I got up to the second level so far .. just had a lot of other things to do.

Serious Sam Kamikaze Attack: weird 2d thing that came to steam finally, got to 100% achievements.

Devolver Land expo: This came out in 2020 when trade shows couldn't happen.  Played it on the new PC as it could run properly.  Got up to 100% achievements.   Fun little gimmick.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD: Something I did with kids a bit, they were disappointed its not on the store anymore.

Cod 4 Modern Warfare Remastered: Another one that runs awesome on new PC vs old.  Had started in 2018, managed to do everything except one final challenge on veteran.

Ion Fury: started didn't really play much yet.

Age of Empires Definite Edition: started early up, haven't done more yet but loving it.

Serious Sam 3 VR: I don't have VR, but did most of the campaign, couldn't work out how to do final boss in VR

Red Dead Redemption 2: started first mission, look forward to rest

D2R: Picked up on switch first, got up to Hell Ancients, picked up on PC, haven't really played yet.