Author Topic: D2/D2R Character Build Goals  (Read 353 times)

Melchior

• THAC0: 19
  • Cookies: 5
    • View Profile
D2/D2R Character Build Goals
« on: November 10, 2021, 03:16:39 AM »
Just brainstorming idea for characters I want to build in the future, makes MFing more fun for me if I have plans to use the loot.

I would also like to find some other build ideas to try!

Plans so far:

Barb
- Pole/spear whirler
- 2H Mace Berserker
- thrower

Druid
- Werewolf
- Werebear
- Windy
- Fire (and finish hell!)

Paladin
- sword and board zealot
- smiter
- hammerdin I guess, didn't like it that much last time

Assassin
- Trapper
- Martial artist

Amazon
- strafe
- lightning jav

Necro
- poison

Sorc
- lightning

So nothing too fancy yet, just basics, might consider some other stuff like Bowadin, Bowasin, melee sorc later though.

What are y'all's plans?

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 16
    • View Profile
Re: D2/D2R Character Build Goals
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 04:19:50 AM »
Yep I have a long list I could talk you through. Looks like those are mostly built around skill plans. Have you thought of builds around certain items? Whirlwind sin with chaos? Wolfbarb with woflhowl too etc.

Having that variety will help you keep going

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 10:42:28 AM »
Mine is pretty straight forward:
  • Javazon - I wanted something that could decimate PVM and hunt for runes in Cows.  Result - Pretty happy so far in terms of PVM.  If there is no lightning immunes it is pretty ridiculous what she does.  God help the monsters if I ever get a hold of an Infinity.  On the hunting for runes in cows it has been pretty disappointing.  For some reason she has been supper unlucky with any runes from cows.  Even low level ones.  It is actually kind of crazy how bad the rune drops in Cows as has been.  If I ever can equip her with the Infinity she is going to fuck Baal up.
  • Blizz Sorc - Someone to bend Meph over and do him hard.  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! She is pretty awesome at running meph.  Super easy to kill him and hit the weapon swap in time to maximize MF.  The fact that I am already 60% done with the grail is because of her.  I also want to LK runs and so far she has 2 MALs to show for it.  Overall she has been pretty lucky with runes in general.  Currently she is set up with a decent LK map with two campfires one of which is right next to the WP and the other only half way across LK.  No luck yet with the map.
  • Windy Druid - MP character that should be able to slowly build up his own gear online.
  • Hammerdin - Aiming to be a chaos sanctuary runner.  Hoping that he will be able mess Diablo's shit up.  Maybe do Baal once he gets more geared up.  Not sure how well he will be able to handle Wave 2.
  • Smiter - Ubers. [not started]
  • Rift Zin - ?? Not sure.  The idea of one is intriguing.  Might not happen. [not started]
  • Bone Necro - ?? -- Not sure if I will ever get around to building an Iggy Pop character

Flan

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 12:34:22 PM »
  • Javazon - I wanted something that could decimate PVM and hunt for runes in Cows.  Result - Pretty happy so far in terms of PVM.  If there is no lightning immunes it is pretty ridiculous what she does.  God help the monsters if I ever get a hold of an Infinity.  On the hunting for runes in cows it has been pretty disappointing.  For some reason she has been supper unlucky with any runes from cows.  Even low level ones.  It is actually kind of crazy how bad the rune drops in Cows as has been.  If I ever can equip her with the Infinity she is going to fuck Baal up.

What is her gear setup?  I have mine running NM Meph, just wondering what better gear she'll need since it has been so long for me playing one.[/list]

Supermatt

• Cookies: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 06:10:51 PM »

What is her gear setup?  I have mine running NM Meph, just wondering what better gear she'll need since it has been so long for me playing one.

The main thing for a Javazon is Titan's - and NM Meph is probably a good place to hunt for that. Beyond that you need gear with +Skills, LL%, ML% and+Res.[/list]

Supermatt

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 06:14:07 PM »
    My main priorities are just a bunch of the cookie-cutter builds that I've enjoyed in the past:

- Javazon
    - MF Sorc
    - Frenzy Barb
    - Skellymancer
    - Bowazon

But... I have found 3 Bartuc's Cutthroat so might need to try a Trapassin too.

Sssith

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 06:48:34 PM »
    I was extremely lucky which both a Titan's and Thundergod drop.  The titan's are still my best drop in D2.  Mainly because it happened on this Zon just as she started farming NM Meph.

Helm - Lore (I need to improve this one)
    Armor - Peace -- Highly recommend as the Valkrie is amazing.  Putting 1 hard point into Valkrie means you get to summon this bad ass all the time.
    Gloves - Magnus
    Rings - Raven Frost and Nagles
    Ammy -- A crappy rare with decent res (another one that desperately needs upgrading)
    Weapon -- Titans
    Shield -- Spirit
    Boots -- Waterwalks
    Belt -- Thundergod's

Drozz

• THAC0: 20
    • Cookies: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 07:30:17 PM »
    But... I have found 3 Bartuc's Cutthroat so might need to try a Trapassin too.

Better to shop for +3 magic greater talons with nice substats like +'s to lightning sentry/death sentry. Just takes patience until they eventually show up. I have dual +3 claws on my trapsin, but I wasn't lucky enough to get the substats.

Dust

• Cookies: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 07:47:52 PM »
    You guys should try the Riftsin - especially if what I hear about the attack speed chenges in D2R are true :)

EXPLOSIONS

Supermatt

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 10:08:39 PM »
    I was extremely lucky which both a Titan's and Thundergod drop.  The titan's are still my best drop in D2.  Mainly because it happened on this Zon just as she started farming NM Meph.

Helm - Lore (I need to improve this one)
    Armor - Peace -- Highly recommend as the Valkrie is amazing.  Putting 1 hard point into Valkrie means you get to summon this bad ass all the time.
    Gloves - Magnus
    Rings - Raven Frost and Nagles
    Ammy -- A crappy rare with decent res (another one that desperately needs upgrading)
    Weapon -- Titans
    Shield -- Spirit
    Boots -- Waterwalks
    Belt -- Thundergod's

No LL%/ML%?

Mine (L75 in A2 Hell) is wearing:

Helm - Valkyrie Wing
    Armor - Vipermagi over Peace for All Res
    Gloves - Laying of Hands
    Rings - rare All Res & Str + a rare LL%
    Ammy -- Vidala's
    Weapon -- 230%ED elite rare javelins with LL%
    Shield -- Rhyme - I nee to find a 4-socket for Spirit
    Boots -- Vidala's
    Belt -- Wilhelm's

I like to have a spear on the switch with 1 point in Fend for LI's so mine has an Arioc's Needle.

There's definitely some room for improvement though and maybe I should be dropping the 2 Vidala items at least...

Sssith

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 11:01:48 PM »
    Yeah...I should try LL/ML and instead of insight use some hurty stick.  I have a Reapers that would do I think.

Honestly I started murdering things and got distracted.  There is a lot of room for improvement for my Zon.

edit: I do think extra skill brings a lot of damage to the table.  A Viper would be nice but my sorc is using it and my hammer has dibs on the next one.
    « Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 11:25:32 PM by Sssith »

Supermatt

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 11, 2021, 12:15:19 AM »
    I've made some changes. Made a Spirit Monarch, switched Ammy for a rare 8%ML and belt for SoE. I need to equip a Raven Frost, but need to level up twice to get base Str high enough for the Monarch so I can drop the +9Str from my rare ring.

Melchior

• Cookies: 5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 11, 2021, 12:55:09 AM »
    You guys should try the Riftsin - especially if what I hear about the attack speed chenges in D2R are true :)

EXPLOSIONS

A cursory glance at a build guide and it does sound like fun!

mn4nu

• THACO: 17
    • Cookies: 25
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: November 11, 2021, 09:12:37 AM »
    I have a sorc and a zealot right now.  I plan to make a whirlwind barb and a summon necro for sure.  I will probably make a trap assassin and javazon sometime down the line.  If I make a druid it will be a wolf or a bear physical kind.  I made a wind druid in plugY and did not like it much.

Sssith

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: November 11, 2021, 10:08:24 AM »
    Titan's have LL%  I am going to switch to Valkrie Helm which I have, duh.  Why I forgot to switch to that I don't know.  I will see if the +to mana after kill is enough to sustain.  If so I can go to a really hurty sticky on the merc.