Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 119402 times)

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 26
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #1245 on: November 27, 2021, 03:00:20 PM »
That sounds like a somewhat iffy experience with Sekiro.  Very frustrating bug to not get the loot.

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: December 01, 2021, 04:45:20 PM »
I figured it out eventually, as there are tooltips during load screens and it gave me the idea there.  It also says it on the controller config screen, although I missed it first couple times I looked.  Overall the game has been "good" but not great. Some mid-game impressions of Sekiro:

Bad: 1. Perilous attacks that are unblockable each have their own counter move (except for grabs), and "most" work ok.  There are some that are so quick and share animations with other perilous attacks that it's very difficult to know which to use (you have maybe 1/3rd of a second at most), but also there's a logical disconnect where an enemy will literally do 5-8 different "sweeping" motions that you can block, but then one will randomly be a perilous sweep that you can't, and that makes it very hard to win battles first try.
2. The grappling icons and deathblow dots that appear on the screen to signify you can grapple somewhere or get a deathblow on an enemy will sometimes just not work, leading to falls and regular attacks instead that can lead to death.  Thankfully falling off a cliff isn't insta-death, it takes like 40% of your health and puts you back where you were.
3. Stealth as a mechanic for getting easier kills on enemies or whittling down crowded areas is fine, fun even, which there's a decent amount of.  Required stealth sections where you can't fight back and die almost instantly on failure is like my least favorite thing in games, and there are multiple of them. 
4. Enemy XP and drop rates are extremely low unless you unlock several expensive late-game skills and ring a bell that ups the difficulty of the game overall.  It doesn't feel like I would unlock all skills until like NG+++ without heavy farming, although maybe drops improve dramatically.  Most skills aren't "necessary" but it's my first playthrough so I'd like to experiment, and there is no respec-ing.
5. No character creator, no alternative primary weapons, almost every single regular enemy AND boss in the game is fought multiple times, etc.; basically the game doesn't have the same replay value as other From Software games where you could actually make a "build" and play very differently on your next run, and it's pretty short overall.

Good: 1. Boss fights have the most spectacle and are the most fair overall, so they really shine. 
2. The overall aesthetic of the areas and characters, the lore, and the historical references they're based off of, have made it fun to explore, at least when I'm not in mortal danger.  There's enough cool stuff that when judging whether the game is "a product" or "art", it's clearly the latter.
3. Hey, a From Software game where water isn't instant death.  You can swim, and it often leads to goodies and secrets.
4. The grappling and traversal options make most levels fun and easy to get around.  If all loot has been found it's not super hard to bypass all enemies in most levels.
5. While I'm not a huge fan of betting everything on the parry mechanic the way they did in this game, it does provide a satisfying dichotomy of "OMG my first try I don't know what's going on, dodge, block, dodge, block, maybe get a hit in, maybe win after like 10 minutes of running around" and "I am a parry God, your attacks are your own quick demise."

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: December 01, 2021, 08:08:29 PM »
Started Jedi Fallen Order the other day. Took a bit but it's clicking for me now and shaping up to be pretty damn good.

Still sucks you have to playing Boring McDude.

And I still think a story about Trilla Suduri (2nd Sister) would be WAY more interesting and compelling, given her backstory.

But, it scratches the Star Wars itch, and slapping blaster bolts back at stormtroopers never gets old.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: December 08, 2021, 10:43:51 PM »
Finished Sekiro, getting the Dragon's Return ending.  Got all prayer beads, beat the last boss with 0 deaths, who regularly shows up in "hardest bosses of all-time" lists, although I had seen his fight before. Would need to complete 4 full playthroughs to get the platinum (3 on the same save), and not sure that's going to happen, though I may finish 2 since there are two unique bosses for choosing the "bad" ending.  Been looking around for reviews and critiques and found several interesting points among them.  It takes several risks and has a lot of care put into it, and sometimes the mechanics really click and you feel true accomplishment playing it, but also has several weird design decisions that made it far less accessible.  I dreaded playing this game for how focused I had to be to play it, not being able to relax at all, and if I played for longer than 2-3 hours my arms were literally sore, which made it far more of a "Game I'm glad I played" than a "Game I had fun playing".  I can definitely see why all the articles were written about its difficulty when it came out, although the difficulty aspect is more complicated than just giving it an easy mode or whatever.  It's still quite a spectacle to watch though.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: January 02, 2022, 11:03:03 PM »
Finished Lost Judgment, the sequel to Judgment, although it also references several things that happened in Yakuza: Like A Dragon, as well as most of the game taking place in that game's locations.  Like other Yakuza games, it's a mix of serious and brutal crime drama mixed with silly side stories and a shotgun approach of mini-games.  The main story is solid, with particular interest given to some of the "bad" guys, making them more interesting and ambiguous, with several chances to discuss opposing views.  The main theme is bullying and suicide, and there's a heavy focus on a high school, both for the main plot and for several side activities as you infiltrate various "clubs" to find out why certain kids have been wrapped up in criminal activity, each with their own mini-game. 

Finishing the main plot can be done in like 20 hours but the side activities take up an additional 50-60, and completion is like... 150+, plus several stonewalls of skill, as you must master several Sega arcade games too (especially Virtual Fighter 5: Final Showdown).  Looking at the completion list I'm just like "This doesn't look fun at all", and the trophy percentages back that up, as ~60% of players finished the game, but there are 12-15 trophies with <4%.  I did all of the school activities, but those mini-games were at least new.  The robotics club is the clear standout, as it's a real-time strategy/combat game where you maneuver 3 robots around a grid, grab Tetris pieces, and plop them down to claim territory, while also attacking/blocking the other team's robots, and you earn parts for upgrades to make them faster/strong/have different weapons.  The problem for completionists like myself is that even after beating the final challenge and finishing the "story" of the club, every single part has to be built for an achievement, and that requires playing another 100+ matches just to the earn the funds to build them (can't use your own money for some reason), and that example applies to several other games as well, so it's a slog if you're the type of person that has to check off every box.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: January 03, 2022, 08:44:00 AM »
The game sounds good if you are not hell bent on getting platinum. 

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: January 04, 2022, 12:43:22 PM »
That's probably the right TL;DR for it.  Watching various reviews reminded me of several other good and bad points.  Some people didn't like that the protagonists don't really grow much and that the plot revolves around more "society-wide" issues, but they solved most of their personal problems in the previous game so they aren't and shouldn't be as conflicted as they were, being a sequel and all.  The combat is also vastly improved, and thinking about it I do think it approaches the best combat in the series, next to 0 and Kiwami.  It still has some problems, like "dodges" literally moving you like 6 inches, which is a major problem against big AoEs, but between the 3 (4 with DLC) fighting styles it never got old and I probably didn't see half of the possible combos or heat actions.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: January 17, 2022, 12:39:13 AM »
Been playing Tales Of Arise, probably 1/2 the way through I think, maybe.  The story still has a lot of mystery at this point, so not sure how many twists are yet to come, though I've traveled the breadth of the world's locations.  Sometimes these RPGs have major twists and end up being almost twice as big as you'd think, so that's always a possibility.  It's a bit harder than the previous Tales games I've played, as Normal has still been moderately challenging, mainly because Levels matter a lot and your XP is hamstrung quite heavily based on what you're fighting.  If you fight anything below your level it penalizes your rewards, so grinding to level takes basically forever, forcing you to fight things that are several levels above you (enemy levels jump somewhat regularly).  I've also received several quests with enemies 15+ levels above me that one-shot me, forcing reloads or escapes since there was no warning until the battle began.  It's also action combat with "perfect dodges/guards" as a mechanic so not exactly accessible to some people.  Characters, as usual in this series, are the standout, with the entire cast being likable and worthy additions, with an almost excessive amount of banter between them.  Tales characters tend to be unbelievably reasonable, wise, and benevolent, but I definitely prefer that over playing a protagonist I can't stand.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: January 22, 2022, 09:53:46 PM »
Platinumed Tales of Arise.  Relatively easy platinum near the end, thanks to the postgame dungeon XP farming being extremely quick.  The ending wasn't as long as I would've liked, but it certainly wasn't bad, and I would definitely recommend the game for action RPG fans.  The main cast is solid, and if you're the type to like party banter and/or like to see party members flirt with each other (albeit in a PG innocent kind of way), this game is full of that.  There's a trophy for watching 300 skits, which are extra conversations outside of main story cutscenes or battle quotes, so there certainly isn't a lack of talking.  It's very pretty, the soundtrack has some gems, and unlike other Tales games I've played I would say it actually got stronger near the end, with better encounter scaling, beautiful and fantastical locations, and by then I had unlocked enough skills for my AI teammates to be competent.  Enemy AI tendency is to target your controlled character (not quite as much as FF7R but close), so if you're good at dodging your teammates can do some pretty good DPS. 
« Last Edit: Today at 03:41:53 PM by maxbeedo »

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: Today at 10:42:23 AM »
That sounds fun.  Thanks for the rec.  I generally like RPGs with good banter.