Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 104040 times)

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 24
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #1200 on: July 18, 2021, 05:41:19 PM »
Yeah...the impending patch is looking awful.

The chance that they scale everything back in a balanced way is almost nil I think.

And given that I am SSF I think it is going to be even harder.

Grogs

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: July 18, 2021, 08:12:38 PM »
The issue I have is there is just so much now to do, the game is just so bloated that it's now a chore to level, a chore to unlock the atlas, a chore to unlock Maven, then you have to balance time between Delve, Legion, Heist, Syndicate and on and on...

The game is just not fun anymore I'm afraid, and making all of that take longer?  Sigh, I'm happy to sink a ton of time into a game, but I can't no life it, IRL gets in the way even if I were that way inclined anymore.  Playing PoE in its current state in leagues casually?  No thanks!

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 18, 2021, 10:58:54 PM »
I wonder if the nerf patch is going to go into Standard right off the bat.  If not I might just keep playing Standard.  I was hoping to get to the end of maps, probably not reasonable.  I did complete one cycle of Syndicate.  Temples is easy to get to the end.  Delve, I would feel complete if I could manage to get to one of the main bosses.  I forget the name.  My Flicker build is not great for Delving (it seems really good for mapping though).  I have a feeling Heist has no real point where you feel that you are done, not very far along with Heist, I don't think I really care about that one.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: July 21, 2021, 07:09:17 PM »
So the new POE patch is going to all play styles right off the bat.  And it looks like 2 of my 3 characters are toast as it stands.  Very frustrated as I finally got into red maps (final part of the end game).  My original plan was to complete the game using these characters.  I will probably be able to salvage my characters but I am pretty pissed and I might take a break from the game.

I am actually downloading D3 just to see how the game is, I don't expect it to hold my interest.  I wish D2R was hear already.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: July 21, 2021, 09:24:41 PM »
If you need an ARPG fix, there's always Grim Dawn, Wolcen, Titan Quest, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor, Vikings: Wolves of Midgard... All good fun, though Grim Dawn is definitely the best of them, and much better than PoE.

Grogs

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: July 21, 2021, 10:55:47 PM »
Just read the 3.15 patch notes, it's a hard skip for me, not going to bother, waiting for D2R.... come on D2R!

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: July 22, 2021, 06:43:27 PM »
I will give the new league a chance.  But I am losing steam with it.  I too am looking forward to POE 2. 

Even more, I am looking forward to D2R.
Grim Dawn -- I own and I have played. I had really mixed feelings about this one.  There were things I absolutely loved about it, but every once and a while I would run into a boss that was just ridiculous.  I also found that it played slowly.

Wolcen -- I own and I have played it.  It was good.  Originally I was excited about the end game, but once I got there I found it to be rather meh.  Also buggy as hell.

Titan Quest -- I played this so long ago.  After D2 this is the game that I played the most.  I got the updated version cheaply, but it also played so slowly that I did not have fun with it.

I have never played Warhammer or Vikings.  I should probably look them over.

I am hopeful that D2R will keep me going until POE 2.  And that POE 2 with keep me going until Diablo 4.  I am really hopeful about D4.

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: July 26, 2021, 09:00:54 AM »
Getting close to done with Dragon Quest XI S.  Pretty huge game, with my current save file around 120 hours, and probably another 10 or so to go.  This version apparently adds a whole 3rd chapter to the game with like 40-50 hours of extra content, so it's a lot to go through.  Essentially it goes 1. You're the hero destined to save the world, 2. The bad guy wins, destroys half the world, gather your party back to stop him, and then 3. We can do better, so we'll fix it all with time travel!  It doesn't end up being quite that simple thankfully, but I have cringed a few times with how predictable it can be.  The game re-using assets and quest lines for all 3 parts with minor changes did get pretty tiresome.  At least the character moments were strong enough to keep me on board, and the constant stream of equipment upgrades helps too. 

The ENTIRE game can be played in 2D mode which replicates a 16-bit art style (though not sure why anyone would when the models and world look as good as they do), and there's a whole separate section called Tickington where you do quests from the previous 10 DQ games that is in that art style regardless.  I wouldn't say it massively improves the game but I definitely appreciate the effort it took.

The game isn't without its problems, such as the save system being antiquated and taking forever, or how awkward and dumbfaced the "silent protagonist" is at times when surrounded by fully voiced characters.  Sometimes they make a joke of that but often it's like "This problem only exists because you're designed not to talk, dude..."

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: July 26, 2021, 11:06:05 AM »
Well I am making slow and steady progress in the new league.  I am enjoying my Toxic Rain/Caustic Arrow Raider build.

There are many people in the game who, in three days, have progressed farther in the game than I have in five months of playing.

My only consolation is that I am getting better at the game.

It was fun seeing Grog join the rush.

Grogs

• View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: July 28, 2021, 02:32:19 AM »
So I did relent and start a char in the League, found Sssith's char name and added a friend!

Not really noticing a difference through the campaign, mana issues aside.  Playing lightning arrow ranger, managed a Tabula of some random mob giving me a really early 6 link.  Should kill Kitava tonight and start mapping.

Actually really like the Excavation league mechanic, gives good access to currency and useful items early.  Will see if it's still fun in maps.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: July 28, 2021, 11:06:04 AM »
I am going a bit slower than Grog, such a surprise.   :)

I just hit my first Ascendancy which puts be at the end of Act 3.  I have a couple of uniques but nothing fabulous like an early Tabula.

Overall the new mechanic is ok.  By all accounts Rog is OP in end game.  A great source of crafting. Hopefully they don't nerf it.

KingsSpectre

• Cookies: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: July 29, 2021, 11:13:27 AM »
Hey all.  I started a character this league - going pretty casual this time.  I'm pretty burnt out on the start-all-over mechanic, particularly when they start obsoleting/nerfing everything in standard too.  Grr..

Anyway, I'm trying a mine saboteur for the first time this league, I'll try to catch up with you all after I get back from the weekend RL adventures.  The toxic rain build should work well for you, I played one for two leagues, including the one I power played for just two weeks over Christmas to get my one-eyed cat.. 

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: July 29, 2021, 12:17:15 PM »
Good deal KS.  As usual I am 'Sssith' in game. 

Are you playing SSF/HC/Standard for this league?  I can't imagine playing HC given the ability of some many things to one shot you.

I died for the first time yesterday at the end of act 3.  Mainly because of stupidity though.  I was pretty annoyed at myself.  Overall I am pretty happy with Toxic Rain.  Right now I have Toxic Rain, Caustic Arrow and Ballista.  I will probably have to decide on Ballista or Caustic Arrow.  Right now leaning toward Ballista.  It is just nice to be able drop those right in the middle of a pack or on a Boss while I run around shooting Toxic Rain.  Though Caustic Arrow is also pretty nice.

Grogs

• View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: July 29, 2021, 05:21:41 PM »
Char name is BoredGrogs, add me when you get back KS.

Running through white maps atm, found a deaths harp which is decent for my build, 5 linked easily, however ran out of Chromatics trying for 2r 2g 1b 

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: July 30, 2021, 12:32:42 PM »
hmm...POE might be one of the few places where my name is not Sssith.  It might be Sssithenator. 

I am now in Act six.  Steady progress going on.  I have now died three times, twice from stupidity, and once from Avarius (sp?).  He is the dude in the chamber of innocence.  He seems to always wreck my world.  I need to figure him out.