Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 150585 times)

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #1275 on: April 08, 2022, 07:34:17 PM »
There are lots of ways to "set your own difficulty".  The Spirit Ashes are one of those, and there are dozens of them that ramp up in power.  Certain weapons, Ashes of War abilities, spells and talismans are very strong, but finding them or even knowing what options exist might take a while depending on what route you take. Now on my 2nd playthrough I know exactly where some of the good early stuff is, but I still find myself full clearing every ruin, catacomb, cave, and camp just to get the runes and gear.

"Suckiness" is relative in these games.  If you haven't died 500 times then you're doing better than like 95% of streamers.  Being perceptive, looking in all directions for ambushes or traps, using stealth, sniping enemies or luring them from afar, are all important strategies.  I see some people die 50 times in 20 minutes and don't care, whereas I'm the type to seethe after every hit I take and try to no-hit full dungeons using stealth, sniping, or whatever I can use.

Pixie

• Administrator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: April 09, 2022, 06:36:04 AM »
I'm like a zillion hours into Elden Ring with a straight STR build (and enough FAI for a few buff/cleanse spells). The game is too big. I'm kind of bored with this character now and ready to move on to a new character and trying out some of these eleventy million INT/DEX or INT/STR weapons I keep finding everywhere. And yes, I know you can respec, but I hate respeccing. It feels wrong.

Just defeated a certain malformed star last night and finished up a certain witch's questline. I've got a little unfinished business in Dragonbarrow to take care of, then I guess it's off to the Altus Plateau.

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: April 15, 2022, 10:43:18 AM »
Since I did STR/INT the first time my current DEX/FAI/ARC build has been going fairly well.  Frenzied Burst is arguably broken as a sniping tool (insanely long range) and for easily killing any named "Tarnished" enemies because of the Madness proc, and Rotten Breath quickly procs Rot on almost anything.  Poison Mist is nifty as a "ninja" tool as it can be cast from stealth and doesn't alert enemies, and the cloud can even go through walls.  Currently using the Winged Scythe which does good overall damage that is mostly Holy which several common enemies are weak to, though I have my eye on several later game busted Faith weapons.  About to go to Altus after clearing Caelid.

One of these days I'll get around to playing Horizon Forbidden West.

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: April 18, 2022, 10:46:02 AM »
I continue to make slow, but steady, progress through Elden.  I think I am near the exit.  I haven't diverged from the main path too much.  Of course, I just did that and ended up fighting a dragon in the basement of Stormville. YOU DIED.

I think I will try to get through Stormville and level more before I come back to explore.  I sneaked past some mosters and knights that obviously need some killing.  Though I must say the knights have been really rough/tough fights.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • Cookies: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: April 18, 2022, 06:00:09 PM »
I've been  having a great time making some content for youtube, mostly just some gameplay with commentary.  I'm quite new at all this, so just learning more things as I go and making a few mistakes.  I've managed to teach a few people some stuff they didn't know, and had a few people following to see me do something others hadn't done before which is good and inspires me to do the next lot of levels.

I've been playing the 1993 classic Blake Stone.  I've been playing on the toughest skill difficulty, trying to go for 100%, but also keeping the good NPCs alive which others haven't done in the past.  I've so far done 2 of the 6 episodes. 

Also many of the levels I'd never played before, so I'm taking my time to record a blind/first playthrough where I'm wandering around, doing my best to find the exit and not die.  You only ever had one first experience, so capturing it for the lols is fun to do for me.  I've had some levels where I die a bunch and try to do better on my next life.

Another game I've been making recordings for is The Talos Principle.  Its over 7 years old now, but has been fun to replay.  Some content I haven't seen in years.

Trying to work out which games I'll do next, might go to some other genres. It will be a mixture of replaying old favourites and first experiences, some new, some neglected stuff.

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: April 19, 2022, 03:14:43 PM »
What is your channel name?

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: April 19, 2022, 04:22:10 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/c/TimDoherty81/

If you suggest something I may do it.  Ideally something that has good logical places to stop and start.

mn4nu

• THACO: 17
  • Cookies: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: April 20, 2022, 05:12:26 PM »
I subbed your channel Tim!

Timinator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: April 20, 2022, 08:58:53 PM »
Thanks, for that.  Not sure if you've ever gone to replay a game you haven't played in ages, maybe a decade and found all your knowledge has gone.  I'm trying to get that captured for my benefit and if anyone else gets something from it, thats a bonus