Author Topic: General gaming chatter  (Read 150585 times)

Godji

• THAC0: 20
  • Cookies: 1
  • Hatter than the Hat Madder
    • View Profile
Re: General gaming chatter
« Reply #1260 on: February 20, 2022, 12:32:26 PM »
So what have I been playing lately ?

I just finished Persona 5 Royal, which I indeed really loved. It's tough to recommend, it leans realy far into some genres and cultural aspects which may or may talk to someone else, but is a masterpiece if those aspects speak to you. Also, it is probably too long. While I never got bored, I'm not sure the game would have lost anything being a tad shorter.
I'll certainly want to do P5 Strikers. but not right now.

I've also played a lot of MH Rise. The game is brilliant, but coming from MH World/Iceborne... maybe actually a bit too easy, and missing end-game content ? It probably makes it the best one to jump into Monster Hunter if you've never played any, and Monster Hunter World was on the other hand way too grindy, but there probably still is a good middle ground to find there. Still, it leaves me very excited for the expansion this summer.

MH Rise keeping me much less busy than I thought it would, I've been playing Sifu while waiting for Elden Ring for something much shorter, but on which I'm having a great time. Quite technical beat them all, with some weird mechanisms (let's be honest, not all of them work) but the feeling of the fights is IMO never seen before in any fighting game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5TRuLaL_wU

maxbeedo

• THAC0: 18
  • Cookies: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: February 23, 2022, 10:47:47 AM »
I have many complicated thoughts about P5 Royal.  My ultimate review of it would be "It's hard to fault a game with at least 50 hours of high-quality content and god-tier UI style", even though it's like 140 hours to fully complete.  It's still a game I think most RPG lovers should play.  There are some big questions that never get answered satisfactorily and that mess with the game's overall themes, like "Who decides who gets access to the Meta-Nav and why?"  The game presents several real-life dilemmas with realistic characters and motivations, but the message of how to deal with them is muddied when introducing metaphysical meddling.  It's a little inconsistent about presenting problems you can deal with simply by being a good friend or just talking to people and those you can only deal with by physically beating up the shadow inside their heads. 

So KOF XV is an excellent fighting game.  It's definitely got some depth, but I'm surprised how easy it's been to pick up literally every character as they share a lot of mechanics.  The trouble has been picking what team to use when going online, which I've been too nervous to do, and only really have tonight to do so before Elden Ring.  Probably some combination of Elisabeth, Ryo, Robert, Athena, Luong, King, and Ralf, though it'd be nice to include at least one grappler.  At least 12 more DLC Characters will be coming, starting in March, so I'll have good reason to come back to it later.

Timinator

• Global Moderator
  • THAC0: 16
  • Cookies: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: February 23, 2022, 08:26:10 PM »
I went back to Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold.  The awesome FPS from the Wolf 3D engine which came out 1 week before Doom ..  I think if that game had a few months to live under its own steam it would be much better remembered.  A cool source port helps with resolutions and modern controls

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: February 26, 2022, 04:39:57 PM »
I'm about 12 hours into Elden Ring, will keep this mostly spoiler free.  Been doing a lot of exploring, collecting materials, biting off more than I can chew a few times.  As open worlds go it seems to have the scale you'd want, but also doesn't scale enemies to your level, so it's pretty easy to run into things you aren't intended to face.  Obviously you CAN, since it's still an action game and skill is very important, but it would require you to do like 100+ perfect inputs and never getting hit.  I hit the first major boss that it told me to go to and hit a wall, as I haven't found much in terms of upgrade materials, and without knowing how common they will be it's hard to justify upgrading anything.  Leveling is also much, much slower than in other souls games, as enemies give very little XP.  I've beaten 4 "bosses" and none of them even gave me a full level.  Thankfully, exploration can reward a decent amount of XP, as there are animals all around that give a little, skulls that hold consumable XP items, and you can sell materials to most vendors, and that's been like half the XP I've earned so far, so there's still that RPG leveling inevitability.  I did hit what I would consider one of those special "wondrous" locations you only see in the best open-world games, so the exploration alone has been worth the price.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: March 02, 2022, 09:42:47 AM »
Currently about 40 hours in to Elden Ring, level 54, working on full-clearing Liurnia, so still not all that far it feels, since there are still new areas being referenced that I can't even picture on the map, despite several teleports giving me glimpses of far-off locations.  Felt like I should've done more on my time off, but it's such a tense game that after 3-4 hours I feel like I need a nap, since everything can kill you.  Every streamer I've watched has done things in a very different order, with most of them crit-pathing and skipping a lot of the smaller dungeons and NPC quests.  I've been enjoying things on my own, which is different than what I usually do in souls games where I offer co-op help like crazy, but since there really aren't too many "roadblocks" here it doesn't feel necessary.  Pretty sure you can skip all major bosses and explore the full map first, which I imagine will make speedrunners really happy as they figure out to optimize where to get the best gear early. 

Sssith

• THAC0: 15
  • Cookies: 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: March 02, 2022, 01:14:00 PM »
In the process of installing Cyberpunk again.  I am going to give it another try.  I really liked even when it was pretty buggy.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: March 13, 2022, 11:36:37 AM »
Work has been hectic this past week (still working over the weekend), but luckily I found a good AFK farming spot in Elden Ring that got me from level 83 to 108 in a couple days, only had to touch my controller once every 30-45 minutes or so while enemies killed each other.  Currently level 124 and finding most areas much easier, outside the fog door of a couple major bosses. Still a lot I haven't done, like a bunch of Hero's Graves that have Sen's Fortress-style mechanical traps, except most of them are automatic 1-hit kills, while being hounded by enemies, which doesn't seem all that "fun", but if anything stops being a challenge I'll know where to go.  Also found the Mimic Tear Ashes, which is one of the most overpowered things I've seen in a FROM game, as it's a summon that exactly copies your equipment, including equipped items, but can be upgraded to have way more health than you.  Since I'm wearing a very strong greatshield, a warhammer with both bleed and frost, a strong staff for magic, and perfumes that do AoE buffs to all allies, I've yet to see the Mimic drop below 75% health.  It's at least if not more powerful than summoning a decent player in co-op, though it doesn't always make the most optimal offensive decisions of course.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: March 14, 2022, 12:35:29 PM »
You level up while not doing anything?  Seems ... odd.

In cyberpunk I am about to finish the intro mission.  Doing most of my killing via stealth right now.  I am hoping to get my netrunning up to snuff.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: March 21, 2022, 12:02:00 AM »
Getting pretty close to the end of Elden Ring, have I think 5 bosses left (have killed somewhere around 150).  Currently level 163, have the main final boss rush left and finishing Ephael Brace Of The Haligtree which is the last optional area.  Patch earlier last week made a bunch of nerfs to the most abused weapons/skills/spells, which will delay a lot of people finishing the game, though I wasn't using any of them thankfully.  Even though it's been out almost a month only about 10% of people have finished it, which isn't that surprising given how long it is and what level you're expected to be to finish when playing solo.  Going the Greatshield route on a first playthrough has been very helpful, as I have the biggest shield and combined with a talisman I take 0 stamina damage on block, so I can't be guard broken, though elemental and status damage will still chip away my health. 

The art design in this game is probably the best of any game ever made.  I don't mean the fidelity/resolution of the assets or anything like that (it's basically the same engine as DS3), but the consistent and varied "I need to take a screenshot" moments, whether it be a vista overlooking a huge area, walking up to a beautiful castle, a glowing swamp, a moonlit ruin, a flowering tree where the branches are the level, a crystal cave where you can see enemies through the floor, an ancient underground city, a mile high tower overlooking half the map, etc., and those are just the locations. 

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: March 21, 2022, 02:30:09 PM »
I should think of giving that game a try.

The netrunner build in cyberpunk is ridiculous.  And this is the nerfed version compared to what the game went live with.  I can pretty much torch how areas with my skills.  God help them if I decide to jump on to the video feed.  I can tell torch everything with in view of a camera.  One of my goals in a mission is to not draw my weapon, or at least not use it.  Sniper guns I don't bother with.  I snipe with my netrunning skills.

I am not sure I would recommend this way to play through the game.  Though I do think Corpo is a good starting point.

Overall I am not too impressed with the patch.  Still glitchy and a bit less performant than what I remember.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: March 27, 2022, 09:40:29 PM »
Platinumed Elden Ring, then went around grabbing the few items I missed.  Pretty much every major dungeon is so complex that they all deserve going through a second time to find different paths with different items, some of them even 3 times.  Not going into NG+ because I assume there will be DLC at some point and I'd like to face new stuff with a normal difficulty, and like most souls games NG+ doesn't really offer anything new.  The "hardest" boss that everyone was complaining about was certainly difficult, but since I had basically 100%ed the game when I got to her I was able to beat her with brute force.  Still a cool fight, but lore-wise and quest-wise it was very unsatisfactory, as I had solutions to both of her problems and couldn't interact with her.  Hopefully DLC will clear that up.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: April 06, 2022, 11:15:30 AM »
I have given in and gotten the game.  Starting a samurai.  Let's see how this goes.

maxbeedo

• View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: April 06, 2022, 01:16:59 PM »
Cool!  Which version did you get?  I've heard there have been a lot of problems on PC with newer hardware, but I had basically no problems on PS4.  Couple tips:

Don't beat your head against bosses that seem too hard.  There is no level-scaling of enemies, so you can walk right into things you probably shouldn't fight yet (some are even placed right at the beginning).  You CAN beat them, as skill matters most, but it's hard to learn enemy movesets when you die in one hit but need to hit them 100 times so don't be afraid to go explore elsewhere.  You can nearly always make "progress" in a different direction.  You can look up "recommended level" guides if you want or ask for advice if you're not sure where to go, but it can be fun to test your limits.

Once you get Torrent, go back to the Church of Elleh to meet another important NPC and get an important item that will make the game much easier.  Torrent can be useful for travel and getting in and out of trouble but he's also pretty vulnerable, and probably the biggest thing is that, while yes, he has a double jump, that jump doesn't affect fall damage or death.  If you would die from a fall, and try to double jump near the bottom to stop your momentum, you will still die. 

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: April 07, 2022, 06:32:44 PM »
I have had a couple weird issues with keyboard mouse.  I have switched to using my PS4 controller on my PC, something I didn't realize would work (Thanks Godji).  That said I might get a PC controller so the mapping work better.

Other than that the game runs beautifully on my PC.  Older CPU but top notch GPU.  I am treating this like a Bethesda game in that I  don't really get the plot but I am having fun exploring.

First character is a Samurai.  Still figuring out the moves and controls.

Thanks for the tips.

Sssith

• View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: April 08, 2022, 11:42:34 AM »
I have gotten the extra little bonus and what a difference it makes.  I feel that I now have a chance with the bosses I am running into.

But I really do think I suck at the game.  Killed a crab...all happy...walk forward and two more pop out of the ground. YOU DIED